BLENDER 2.8 - now released

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by boneburner, Aug 2, 2019.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

This is not your dad's old blender....

For those thinking about dipping their toes into computer graphics of (almost) any description, or for current users - the Blender foundation would like to draw your attention to release 2.8

The largest release since 2.5 (many, many moons ago) Blender 2.8 has had major changes applied to almost every corner of the software.

And yes it's still free, which is the best price.

elvis, Phido, Vladdo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Looks like it is stepping up to Pro level. Shame I could never get my head around this programme, tried so many times but maybe I'm too old.

3. Falcon

Falcon Member

I tried the beta and couldn't get used to the changes to hot keys
    sticking with 2.79 for now

after watching the video... maybe i should look into the menus more haha

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Blender has been used on high end professional productions for quite a number of years now. It's a very capable tool.

For larger western studios, it's a standard part of any pipeline. For places like Brazil, it's now a primary tool in most of their TV and film business. The previous place I worked at made all sorts of content (TV commercials, TV shows, film, content for Netflix and Stan), and Blender got used in all sorts of ways along side other proprietary and open source tools.

Anyone considering professional 3D as a career should definitely add it to their arsenal.

5. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Oh I see the power - the failing is me lol.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Haha yeah, I understand. I just roll the tools out for the real pros. I'm hopeless at using them. :lol:

Akh-Horus likes this.
  7. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I have tried like 5 times to sit and remember it all but meh - maybe it's me being a numpty. It is an incredible programme though.

8. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

Numpty rating aside, perhaps the problem lies in your approach?

Like most sprawling bits of software, the trick is to only learn the parts you need to get the job done. So pick a small project and focus on that to begin with. Then pick another one and voila, it should™ be easier than the first - keep building like that, as you need it.

A perfect example of this is Photoshop - an incredibly powerful tool. Realistically, 95% of people only need to know a mere fraction of what the software can do - and of the remaining Pro users, they are masters of a small sub-set of functions - and rarely have reason, or time, to learn parts of it that they just don't need.

Akh-Horus likes this.