Blender

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by StarDrifter, Jul 3, 2012.

1. StarDrifter

StarDrifter (Banned or Deleted)

Hello people,
    Looking for recommendations from YOUR EXPERIENCE with Blenders :)
    Testimonials, I want real world views. Google hasn't been my friend in this respect (too much garbage to trawl through)
    I don't care about price, cheap is only a bonus if it is good quality.
    I want to be able to blend up hard veggies like raw pumpkin and carrot :)
    Cheers!

2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

After a blender or a food processor mate?

3. OP
    OP
    StarDrifter

StarDrifter (Banned or Deleted)

Well a lot of blenders have food processor attachment, so if it can do both, BONUS, but blender primarily.

4. Jamula

Jamula Member

I have a Sunbeam that is the shit. There is nothing that I've put in it that hasn't been liquidated in less than 30sec.

5. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

There are two classes of blenders - low power blenders (anything up to about $600) and high power blenders (about $850 and up). Examples of high power blenders are Blendtec (makers of the "Will it blend?" videos) and Vita-mix.

The difference is that high powered blenders will give you a much finer texture. Low powered blenders are fine for making smoothies and slurries, but high powered blenders actually pulverize cell walls. Supposedly this has nutritional benefits, which is why raw food enthusiasts use Vita-mixes. You can also make incomparably smooth soups. Make a pear smoothie, and there will be no trace of the "grain" from cell walls.

All high powered blenders cost a lot, but also have durable motors and are backed up by warranty. As for the low powered blenders - Sunbeam, Braun, Kitchenaid, etc - some have better motors, some have quieter motors, some have more warranty, etc etc. Nobody can tell you how durable a motor is except the service center. Even if some guy on OCAU turned up and said that his Sunbeam crapped itself is no indicator of general quality.

The first thing you have to do is decide how much you want to spend, and which type you need (or want). If you want a high powered blender, the choice is easy - get a Vita-mix. Blendtecs are said to be very good blenders, but customer support in Australia is rather poor.

6. JolyV

JolyV Member

I have this for six months, so far is amazing

Oster Fusion Blender with Food Processor
    [​IMG]
    BRLY07-Z00 1000-Watt

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I have a Sanyo blender and extremely happy with it. Won't bother giving you the model number as it's older now and would have been replaced many times by newer models.

8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i got a kitchenaid one... didn't pay for it but it's pretty good

not sure if i would pay retail for it though

9. Gaz

Gaz Member

Yeah Kitchen aid or a Robot Coupe if you can afford one. We have a Robot Coupe food processor at work and it chops everything. and being a commercial rather than domestic brand id say their blender would be just as good.

10. caspian

caspian Member

I won't ever be buying a blender again. at most I will spring for a blender takeoff for my food processor or Kenwood mixer.

in the meantime, these have enough grunt to torque your wrist and are an amazing gadget for the money. we use ours all the time for chopping herbs, pureeing soup, and the whisk is bloody good at making mayo in under 2 minutes. I'll go straight out and buy another one if ours dies.

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i also have one similar to that one on the home shopping channel but bought from Amazon

the thing is actually pretty good and i tend to use this more than the kitchenaid one

12. ph3var

ph3var Member

I have the breville expensive one and its pretty shite really.
    If I was to blend a lot more things then I do now I would probably invest in a blentec blender as they are the bomb.