Blind rivets, watertight?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by aerospyke, Jan 1, 2019.

1. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

Hi all,

Not sure if this is where i'd ask, nowhere else seems to match. I'm putting up some new shelves and hooks and various "organising" aids in my steel shed, but wanted to make sure that the shed doesn't develop a new leak through the outside.

My shed is held together with rivets yes but these are installed from the outside-in, and so the collar is on the outside, covering and protecting the hole, but installing something on the inside, it isn't the collar that is on the outside of the shed, but the blind end, which I am unsure if it is water tight in this direction.

Does anyone have any insight/references to say whether they are or not.

Cheers

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have a few rivets on my shed going from inside to out. Dunno if they are supposed to be watertight though. Just to make sure, I drilled the holes, put a generous dob of silicon inside the cup of the rivet before popping them. Have never had a leak.

3. oculi

oculi Member

You can get sealed pop rivets but I'm guessing your shed doesn't use them. Google what they look like to see what you have. Silicone should help.

4. clonex

clonex Member

sealed rivets are generally structural, much fun to be had by squeezing by hand unless you got a air/battery riveter :D

buy either some clear roof&gutter silicone or one in a matching colorbond color.

roof flashing are rarely sealed, only the joins etc usually get sealed.

5. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

does it leak when it rains?

Try running the hose over it. #datanotthinking

6. mtma

mtma Member

Unless the water pools around the rivet (in which case you have other issues) you will probably find that they're leak proof enough.

7. OP
    OP
    aerospyke

aerospyke Member

Thanks all, i'll do some testing along with some silicon for good measure. This is all on the wall so pooling shouldn't be an issue, but considering my last shed had severe leaking issues (rust and drill holes in the roofing panels, the guy i bought the house from was an obvious doofus), leaking is just on my mind.

8. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Easy answer......no they are not.

On a wall though, will work good enough