bloatware on samsung TVs

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by cdtoaster, May 14, 2021.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

My samsung seems to have added unwanted applications and advertisements in automatic firmware updates, a lot of the apps cannot be removed. Additionally whenever I turn the TV on now or leave it idle it will begin to play bloomberg or something which gives me the shits. it's pretty disgusting that this happens to a device you buy and they claim the firmware updates are for security and such.

are all manufacturers like this? specifically i'm considering swapping over to LG if they're not as bad. I would consider other brands too aside from sony.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not that I know of. OTA firmware updates should be able to be turned off through settings. Nothing on my tv gets installed in terms of applications, unless I want it to be and intentionally do it, i.e. manufacturer doesn't install anything itself other than the default appsthat came with the TV originally.

Mine is an LG. But not even any of my other cheap tv's outside or in the study do any of what you've said.

3. OP
    OP
    cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

the key issue is samsung claims the firmware updates are for security and functionality updates then you turn it on one day and it's playing advertisements. if they claim the firmware updates are important it means they're holding consumers hostage by not offering critical updates unless the advertisements are also installed.
    anyway i've made a submission to the ACCC, i'm sure nothing will come of it. i've already ditched samsung phones, looks like TVs are next.

Zenskas likes this.
  4. power

power Member

you probably agreed to them in a EULA somewhere.....

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't disagree that it's not good form, but what do their T&C of use say?

6. Zee

Zee Member

Are we allowed to talk about hacking Samsung TV's? Guess not. Just thought I'd put it out there...

Z...

7. OP
    OP
    cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

I'm sure it's within their T&C but there is a limit to what a company can put in there. If it becomes too questionable then it's within the government's purview to intervene.

usually there are drawbacks to custom firmware as well and it's never a very easy straight forward process. i've installed the custom firmware on a number of samsung phones and tablets, now i just stick to android one devices

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Is this the outcome you are after?

9. connico

connico Member

Exactly this... people dont read shit and just click agree.

May not be the latest instruction on the latest firmware.. but it essentially like the below.

1.Settings - Support
    2.Find "Terms & Policy"
    3.Open "Interest Based Advertisement"
    4.Click to disable "Enable to make the content and advertising on smart tv more interactive"

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Doesn't make it right though, speaking generally. And what you gonna do when you get your new tv home and read the T&C's, return it because you don't agree? Hardly.

Heard recently, something like if someone read all the T&C's in the average home contents they would spend 1 whole month out of an entire year.

11. connico

connico Member

You dont have to read everything but when you're setting up your TV, computer, phone etc you should know what you're agreeing to mate....

Everyone that complains about telemetary should know how to turn it off... like fuck... they have a right to collect data, you have a right to deny them this privillage.

elvis likes this.
  12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I have to go with the unpopular opinion here - there is no moral right and wrong here, nor is there anything "general" to speak about.

It's not illegal for them to do it, and customers put up with if. If fewer customers put up with it, it would be done less frequently.

There's endless complaining about spyware and telemetry and god knows what on these forums, and yet everyone's walking around with a smartphone that tracks them (sorry Apple fans, Apple track you too, don't be that fool who thinks brand X loves you more than brand Y), or a Windows install packed to the gills with telemetry or smart devices in their homes that track them. And as I've said in this thread and mirror threads in the mobile phone and Windows forums - we're all to blame. These things are convenient and bring us joy, so we willingly buy in. Not buying in means inconvenience, and we avoid that at quite literally any cost, monetary or otherwise.

As a technical community that's "smarter than the average bear", OCAUers need to stop buying into these things with their hard earned dollars.

Nobody's going to stop this. For starters, manufacturers make a shitload of money tracking customers, and 99% of customers are totally oblivious to it, so the incentive is enormous (even understanding the problem puts you in "genius" territory compared to the norm). Law makers are woefully ignorant to the problem, not to mention a solid century behind the times in technology privacy and law. Worse, there are members of parliament actively campaigning to further destroy your right to privacy because "terrorists and paedophiles" who are apparently lurking under everyone's sofa cushions.

If you want out, don't buy in.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    bcann, MrSnuffy, Zee and 1 other person like this.
  14. Franc

Franc Member

I specifically dont buy samsung tvs because of this.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't necessary disagree. I'm saying just because they put it in their T&C's don't make it right or even legally right. Plenty of companies try to get away with shit they shouldn't be putting in T&C's of use. They don't get carte blanche to do as they want.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    cdtoaster and JSmithDTV like this.
  16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think you need to understand the difference between "legally right" and "not illegal". :)

Neither the moral high horse nor the nanny state will save us from the naughty vendors. We're all going to have to put some effort into our own self control here, and stop taking their bait.

17. Franc

Franc Member

Honestly they should have this when buying the tv, not when trying to watch it.

cdtoaster likes this.
  18. callan

callan Member

My Panasonic 65" TV is firewalled from the Internet at the router. The only reason it has Ethernet (It has no Wifi) plugged in at all is so that I can control it from an Android app. I use a CCast for all my streaming needs: mostly DLNA fed from a Synology NAS. Any replacement TV will be subject to the same strictures.

Samsung: I like their phones - but their washing machines catch fire, their dishwashers are shit, and they pull this crap with their TV's - typically a couple of months after you've bought it, so you can't just take it back.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Right, but obviously there's no practicality in getting people to read the T&C's before purchase really.

20. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

I've just about had it with samsung. I've been very loyal and have owned every other odd numbered galaxy since the first one, but I'm done. My next phone will be a pixel.

I'm sick of them and their bloatware