1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu Ray vs HD-DVD *Round 1*

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Jm3, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jm3

Jm3 (Banned or Deleted)

A thread where we can go all out on which one is better and why. I thought this might be interesting :)

Bring all your petty arguments from all the other threads into here rather than clogging up the others. I invite Tox to make a short statement about Blu Ray and Stevo to speak briefly about HD-DVD to kick things off. Let the battle begin!

One day people will look back on this thread and go "Wow the format war was won on OCAU." :D

I am basically stuck in the middle, I would like to see both do well as I don't want just one to domiate the market. Competition is good and in the end the consumer will win.

Reposted to the right section. Please keep it civil.

2. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

In Round 1 of any format war, everyone loses.

Studios, hardware manufacturers, consumers - everyone.

Actually, those who sit it out, and let the zealots pay for overpriced media, overpriced hardware, and let someone else bankroll the R&D whilst they wait for prices to drop and one format to finally become the standard - they're the real winners.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  3. TOX

TOX Member

How do you come to that conclusion?

I feel like I'm winning atm

From the other thread:

It's very clear that Blu-ray is winning in Australia. There is no denying that.

HD-DVD will be avalible at JB soon but I still think ultimatly the push of Pioneer, Samsung and Sony TVs will make Blu-ray still the dominot force in Blu-ray. HD-DVD is also coming to the party very late in Australia.

Blu-ray is dominating in Europe at the moment, In China Blu-ray has 90% market share and for the third quater in a row Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD 2:1 in the states.

This quater will be interesting while HD-DVD had Transformers which is the no.1 selling exclusive title it still didn't outsell 300 which is on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. The other thing is that it's really the only major release for HD-DVD this quater. Blu-ray fans can look forward to a lot more I personally feel and the 30th will mark the release of Spiderman 3 and it's Trilogy in the states. I own both but am Very pro blu-ray I feel it's the better format and the releases I can see myself getting in the final quater are

HD-DVD:

Hot Rod [HD DVD] (2007)
    Twister [HD DVD] (1996)

Blu-ray

Meet the Robinsons [Blu-ray] (2007)
    Ratatouille [Blu-ray] (2007)
    Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End [Blu-ray] (2007)
    Cars [Blu-ray] (2006)
    Bad Santa - The Unrated Version and Director's Cut (Unrated) [Blu-ray] (2003)
    Ocean's Trilogy (Ocean's Eleven/ Ocean's Twelve/ Ocean's Thirteen) [Blu-Ray]
    Simspons Movie [Blu-ray] 2007

and no doubt more when I can't be bothred going throught more of Amazon :p

4. -TMan-

-TMan- Member

At this stage competition is good for the consumer because it will help keep prices as low as possible, but once prices get low enough that they're not a big factor it would be best if there was one outright winner. It will be expensive for companies to be trying to produce discs for both and also the companies producing the players. If they are able to put more r&d into one player, the price will be lower than if they are proding both types at the same time. I dont really care which one wins, i just want there to be a clear choice when the time comes for me to buy a player

5. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Nope, i'm winning.

You're bankrolling the format war. I'm waiting until the early adopters have suffered through the usual first-round hiccups, price gouging, and high-cost of all these things, and then picking up the eventual winner for $149 in two years time, when media & movies are plentiful and cheap (leaving half the early adopters sitting around with the new Betamax or Laserdisc).

I'm sure Sony really appreciate your support though.

Edit: Oh, and when I can hire movies for $6 for two at Civic.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  6. z2177199

z2177199 Member

Didn't someone from the other thread mentioned TOX get pay to promote PooRay on the forums?:lol:

7. DRAGONKZ

DRAGONKZ Member

Yeah, i've seen him with a few "Sony" cheques on his desk a while back (you know those big ones they give to people on game shows like deal or no deal)

I should have known something sus was going on....

8. The Brad

The Brad Member

The latest "report" from an "industry consultant":

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Blu-ray DVD titles outsold rival HD-DVD titles by almost 2-to-1 in the first nine months of the year, but analysts expect additional HD-DVD support and new hit releases to "transform" the high-definition DVD battle score in the fourth quarter.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/bluray_hddvd_dc

Love the word-play...

9. TOX

TOX Member

I feel like I'm winning because I'm enjoying movies at 1080P on my 100" Projector. You can look at it both ways. The money isn't a huge deal for some people. Blu-ray/HD-DVD is also a bit differant to Laserdisc

Yes they did, and that person would be full of shit!

I would have hid them but my cupboard was full of ones from all those other companies that pay me in giant novelty checks

10. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

I too am sitting on the fence with this format war, waiting for another 6mths or so to see how the battle fares. the way I see it atm:

HD-DVD

+ Cheaper production costs
    + Cheaper hardware (?)
    + Paramount

- Less industry support
    - Less shelfspace
    - Less Future-proof (lesser storage capacity)

Blu Ray

+ Greater industry support
    + Every PS3 owner has one
    + Greater Storage Capacity

- No Paramount
    - More expensive production costs
    - More Expensive players (?)

So the pros and cons of each are at this stage negligable and wont determine a winner of the war....

The way to go is for a Hybrid player once they come down in price :thumbup:

11. TOX

TOX Member

Blu-ray also has better computer support

Try getting a HD-DVD drive for your PC bar the 360 addon

12. googlevich

googlevich Member

Only thing I'd add to that is HD-DVD has no region coding for movies, which is a big + in my books.

13. TOX

TOX Member

Might be a plus in yours but from a retailers perspective it's not. They don't want you buying from Amazon.

I think this is the main reason HD-DVD hasn't picked up well in Australia.

14. The Brad

The Brad Member

First the paramount thing is only 12-18 months which will pass pretty quickly and you can bet your butt once that exclusion period is over they will be chasing the BD market with a vengeance.

It does seem there are a lot of problems with hybrid players at the moment, LG's has been pretty badly panned, and Samsung have just delayed theirs to Q4. Plus they are always fairly expensive, which will remain the case because of the royalty situation.

15. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Anything to back that up, or is that just your opinion?

16. The Brad

The Brad Member

I presume you mean the exclusion period having a time limit?

From the New York Times article http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html

But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but who asked not to be identified.

The two studios may have left themselves wiggle room, however. Paramount’s agreement to use only HD DVD is limited to only 18 months.

The "bet your butt" bit is most certainly my opinion. Based on the fact that if they already have HD DVD mastered they can just put out dual layer BD with the same video content and make more cream for the same content.

17. Zee

Zee Member

This can possibly lead to price and release parity with other nations (thus making the need for multi zoning a non issue). why would you bother ordering form Amazon if you can get it here for the sam eprice, at about the same time?

Region coding is a method of control, and I personally do not take kindly to having big corporations control what I do. the Oil companies already do a good enough job - I don't need it when it comes to entertainment.

Blu Ray Is the better format. Period. Region coding (or lack of) is the sole benefit of HD-DVD (apart from price, but we are not really getting any advantage out fo that right now), and is the only reason I would rather see it win.

If Sony would take it's region coding and shove it up their own butts, they would realise that region coding is not a valid practice int his day and age. It's too easy to get anything from anywhere. Sooner or later, there will be region free players released anyway, just like DVD...

The Region free thing affecting local sales is probably a non event - lets face it, if it really was such a huge problem, then there would be a very small DVD purchase rate as well (locally), seeing as most DVD players out there are region free (or are easily unlocked) - LEGALLY, I might add - in our country.

z..

18. The Brad

The Brad Member

Region coding isn't Sony's evil. Its the demand of the movie houses, and the reason why some movie companies will not support HD DVD. They are trying to protect and defend the staggered release schedule for movies. Hell, DVD's are often out in the US before we even get the cinema movie in Australia. Its less about grey-importing for its own sake and more about not allowing access to something that isn't meant to be released yet, according to them.

19. Szemen

Szemen Member

I rekon Blue-ray will come out of top...Sony finally wins a format...All the Blue-Ray outselling everything. Blue-ray in a PS3....Bigger capacity!~~
    However, HD-DVD just had huge price cuts...so I guess just sit back, relax and watch the show =D

20. UncleRes

UncleRes (Banned or Deleted)

Exactly, you can be pretty sure Sony themselves aren't particularly worried about region coding given there hasn't been a region coded PS3 game yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.