Blu Ray vs HD-DVD *Round 1*

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Jm3, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevo4

stevo4 Member

A pity the mods are not as efficent as on other forums at keeping watch with ppl like that.

If thats all they can put together as a post then no one wants to know what they have to say.

I had almost as much riding on both camps so the outcome either way would have meant the same for me.

I certainy appreciate listening to TrueHD audio tracks when they are present on a title.

The same as you, in questioning that.

I thought you give up on this thread for the the pro BD one?
    What not enough ppl for you to annoy on that one?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. TOX

TOX Member

Calling someone a smurf then telling someone what they can and can't do are two differant things.

If bossing people around on OCAU made a differance I would have told Stevo to no longer post in this thread months ago, but what right do I have to do that?

Sometimes I even wonder if you read what your type. Your the most immature person that I have ever met.

It's sad that someone of your age acts like you do.

I understand your dissapointment in your format of choice losing, I would have been the same. Mind you it was obvious from the begining who was going to win, I knew that, a number of other people also did. You didn't

It's time to build that bridge and get over it

Surly you have better things to do then attack my threads? althought maybe you dont

3. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

I hear ya, I converted my CD collection to 320k VBR :) Althou if im having a listening session (ie lights off and just sitting infront of the system, preferably with a glass of red) I still break out the CD's. I remember the article you referring too was a good read, I attempted to recreate the experiment with a friend and he was able to pick 2 out of 3 mp3's however I only had a sample size of one :(

Atleast TOX admits his fanboi'ism :D Stevo's recent posts make me think of Monty Python

[​IMG]

Its just a flesh wound!

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Digital_Monkey for Mod, 2008 :D j/k

Yah well not much can be done, it is a forum after all.

Me too :D

5. seshjuan

seshjuan Member

what i can gather from that, is that when video compression technology adavances in the future, and the average consumer cant really see much of a difference between cheap downloaded hd compressed content and a blu ray disc, that they wont pay a premium for the blu ray disc? i can certainly see that evevntuating.

6. g@z

g@z Member

So, going by the post on the front page of OCAU, it's over. Blu Ray wins.

Correct? ;)

Regards,
    g@z.

7. TOX

TOX Member

rofl - I have never denied it :)

I'm Tru-Blu!

That would be Correct

Edit: Agg didn't link to our super informative thread here :(

8. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Well digital downloads are a whole nother can of worms, but one of the issues that face blu-ray is that most people are happy with DVD's and the difference in quality is hardly worth it for a general consumer.

9. Eds

Eds Member

That soley comes down to the gear you are using to playback mp3s.

If you play them on B&W 800D's powered by Electrocompaniet NEMO Mono block power amplifiers running through an Electrocompaniet ECI5 fully balanced amplifier playing back cd's from an Electrocompaniet ECC-1 or mp3s via an ipod, I am pretty sure a deaf person could tell the difference. :p

This exact setup is/was at northside hifi for anyone who is interested in buying it. :)

READ: ZE ULTIMATE SETUP!
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1159
    http://www.electrocompaniet.com/products/power-amp/nemo.html
    http://www.electrocompaniet.com/products/integrated/eci5.html
    http://www.electrocompaniet.com/products/digital/ecc-1.html

Ofcoarse, not everyone has half a million dollars to spend on speakers, amplifiers, wires and acoustics.

PS: I am not saying you NEED half a million to tell the difference either. Just making an exagerated point. If you have shit gear, it won't matter. If you have half decent gear, it might. If you have decent gear, it WILL! Assuming you don't have damaged hearing...

I've got a Yamaha CD player, gilmore dynahi amp and Sennheiser HD 650s, and i assure you, anyone can tell the difference between even a half decent mp3 and a cd. Admittedly, it depends how well something is encoded.. or even the codec used. I'd just flac your cds to be safe. :) Just burn them to bluray, surely you'd have a pioneer bluray recorder considering you sell the bloody things!?

10. stevo4

stevo4 Member

With the posts you make, why would that surprise anyone.
    OT as usual, with them being little better than nothing more than personal attacks.

11. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

stevo4 and TOX it's obviously that you two don't like each other and that is your business but please keep it out of threads as it gets tiring. You're both constantly having digs at each other and you're behaving like primary school children. :o

Is it any wonder?

Thread closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.