Blu Ray vs HD-DVD *Round 1*

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Jm3, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zee

Zee Member

Hence why more and more movies are being released"globally" at pretty much the same time. heck, we got Transformers BEFORE the yanks did!

There will be less and less need for this staggered release as digital starts to take over - movies will be most likely downloaded from a movie studio server by the cinemas rather than have actual celluloid being delivered ot them.

The problem with staggered release is that the world is far too connected. I can far too easily walk into a conversation about a movie that is not yet released here on any forum you find on the interweb.

My other argument is...

Better bought and paid for on (insert media here) from another country than downloaded for free off the net.

Z...

2. proffesso

proffesso Member

digital cinemas use encrypted hdds, so no downloading

hdd's are around 300gb from memory...not exactly easy download just yet :p

3. TOX

TOX Member

We have also had Spiderman 3 and Trilogy for a few weeks now - It's not released in the states till the 30th :D

4. caudex

caudex Member

in regards higher price production of bluray discs, apparently this is no longer the case with the use of new organic dyes in bluray media (deceloped by pioneer and mitsubishi) which now only means rock bottom prices per disc, but also allowing the possibility for current cd/dvd production facilities to be used to create bluray discs.

source: http://n4g.com/tech/News-76711.aspx

as for which format is currently winning? I believe bluray is as it still has substantially more manufacturer support, PC support, and movie studio support. It is also winning in all the important markets (US, EURO, CN, asia), and there are apparently going to be some substantial cost reductions be end of year on some players which drive sales upwards even more.

5. SSJX

SSJX Member

yeah, you'll be about right

so far (according to the ps3 wiki):
    [​IMG]

6. stevo4

stevo4 Member

This only affects recordable media, as movie discs are stamped and produced on different lines to the ones that produce recordable media.

7. slobber

slobber Member

Especially true for most ppl in AU :(

8. Zee

Zee Member

Yet...

Though, I think you misunderstand what I mean by downloading. I meant the cinemas themselves download the movies, as apposed to have reels shipped in (of which there are limited numbers- thus staggering of releases) If the movie can be downloaded, there is a huge saving in terms of celluloid, and thus, potentially, a larger profit margin.

I have spoken to a few people in the cinema industry, and they feel this is the way it will go over time (maybe not next week, or next year, but you get the picture).

I believe I have head this spoken about on various radio shows - though I can't quote any references.

Z..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  9. The Brad

The Brad Member

I think this is one issue of a fast-moving technology and a slow-moving industry...

Yeah just a pity so few players will play it reliably!!!

Digital Cinema is like waiting for a train in the city loop. The rails always rattle, but the train never comes...

10. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Tried ebay ;)

Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD drives and burners are there.

11. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

I've been waiting for HD formats for many years. I held off on buying DVDs as I spent a fortune on Laserdiscs back then, and always saw DVDs as an interim step.

I don't really care about the format war as I'm more interested in the content, but I do care about getting things up and running with the least amount of pain possible.

I've just built a Zalman HD160XT HD HTPC, Q6600, P35, 8600GTS, 2GB, Vista Home Premium powered, PowerDVD, AnyDVDHD, with a Pioneer SATA Blu-Ray reader/DVD-burner for hooking up to a Viera 1366x768 plasma.

It would have been a HD DVD solution but there are no internal drives available in AUS yet. Also I don't like the looks of the XBOX drive, too bulky and white, however when e.g. the Toshiba slimline external HD DVD finally makes its way here @ a reasonable price I'll add that one in as well.

Some experiences...

HD & HTPCs are not yet fully compatible and a few things are completely PITA. I.e. there's no way for us to output Dolby TrueHD via HDMI1.3 (if you were to have a brand new, compatible receiver*) because no HDMI1.3 PC interfaces exist to my knowledge - this forces an analogue path way, and further to this, getting Bluray or HD DVD to work from Media Centre is an exercise in futility.

To play back Spiderman 3 I first had to rip it with AnyDVD HD; screen went blank after a 1/10th second flash of a spider symbol before then.

Multiple regions exist here; I'm hiring flicks from Movieguys.com.au and also buying a few myself. I found myself being denied playback because I was using the wrong region between those blurays that are all procured here down under. WTF? Fortunately AnyDVD HD took away the regional coding. I detest region codes and without AnyDVD HD I'd ditch the Blu-ray format in an instant.

I'm fully expecting that these issues will be sorted in about a year's time.

On the plus side the image is absolutely fantastic. I'm truly in awe, and that's even with not having a native 1080p display.

*) My decoder is a 10 year old Rotel Dolby Digital stand alone box that uses a DB25 cable to hook up to my 10 year old Rotel preamp. The Rotel doesn't have any other multi channel inputs, so DD is a big PITA for me. E.g. the uncompressed 5.1 in Spiderman 3 (which doesn't have a standard 5.1DD track) is not compatible with this decoder so I was forced to go stereo analogue out with the Pro Logic of the old VHS days. Therefore I'm getting the Xonar soundcard which offers DD Live; the Soundmax of my Blitz Formula doesn't offer this in working condition.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  12. googlevich

googlevich Member

This is my biggest problem as well. I've been following it closely and there are actually solutions in the pipeline.

Apparently Azuntech are building an addon card for their new prelude which will output the required TrueHD or DTS:MA in bitstream or PCM over a HDMI 1.3 link.

I don't really understand how this is going to work seeing as the audio path in HDMI 1.3 is supposed to utililze the Video Stream to synch off (or something along those lines).

Either way, you are correct in saying HTPC just isn't up to scratch yet.

13. dohzer

dohzer Member

Definitely HD-DVD.

14. TOX

TOX Member

That was a very helpful post - thank you!

I'm going to be working on an article that is Kinda the Ultimate HTPC - It won't be included HD-DVD though for the same reason.

You speak about the compatibility and what not I have actully opted for this motherboard

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2600

The board supports DTS connect and this is the reason I chose it.

It will have a Quad core and 4GB of ram in it. I will be running from the HDMI out of the motherboard to the HDMI in on my Onkyo 705. I should get full loseless audio. Ultimatly thought I won't know till i set it up as I'm still waiting on my HD 160 XT

15. rg144

rg144 Member

HD-DVD all the way purely cos i hate Sony's monopolistic crap :D

kudos to Toshiba, and lets not forget Microsoft..

Neverthless Blu-Ray is impressive; but as for their pricing structure and the production/coding complexity of Blu-Ray- they should've learnt their lesson from the Beta vs VHS days back in the 80's..

16. TOX

TOX Member

Yeah Sony hold a Monopoly!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If someone chooses one technoclogy over another because they don't like that brand simply put there an idiot.

I think we've already covered the fact that Sony have well and truly learnt from the Beta vs VHS days aswell

17. proffesso

proffesso Member

Blu-ray Disc is a high-density optical disc format for the storage of digital media, including high-definition video. Blu-ray Disc was started by Hitachi, LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and Thomson in February 19, 2002[3].

yes...damn you sony...you did this all by yourself! monopoly!!!

18. Rezin

Rezin Member

Or the Mums & Dads who choose a TV or stereo to match other items of a brand purely for cosmetic reasons. :)

Where did everyone who already has Transformers buy their copy from? Was Zee referring to the cinema release or the HD release?

19. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Yes ppl should learn when to use the right words ... not a monopoly at all, try

cartel!:D

20. The Brad

The Brad Member

FYI (and sorry this is strictly off topic) this is why we have bundled the PlayMovie plugin from CyberLink - to integrate the Blu-ray directly into MCE and allow navigation with the MCE remote, and it really does make a difference to the overall experience. The same plugin will work for HD DVD, but an OEM needs to option this as part of either a system or a drive bundle, as you cannot buy it on its own from CyberLink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.