bluray question

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by fsd, Apr 1, 2021.

1. fsd

fsd Member

hey folks

hoping someone here can share some info on making a backup of a bluray I bought please.

ordinarily i would be fine to download a pirated version of something I have paid for if i wanted to watch it on a device that did not have a physical bluray drive, however I've bought a music bluray that i want to be able to enjoy via plex from wherever I am, and I cannot locate a digital copy of it on the internet.

this leads me to want to try and rip it myself, but i've not ripped a disc since dvd decrypter was still being produced, so i am well out of the loop. I don't own a bluray drive for my pc (only have a PS4 for bluray), so i would have to source a drive in order to do this.

This bring up the following questions that I am hoping others can fill me in on:
    • Would any bluray reader I buy be suitable for this?
    • are apps to make an mkv from the disc common place?

thanks in advance

2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yes and yes... technically though you can't format shift bluray as DRM needs to be broken to rip it. That stuff about downloading something you "own" doesn't apply here. That said if it is for personal use only, who would ever know.

JSmith

fsd likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    fsd

fsd Member

Excellent, thank you for the information.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  4. MdMa

MdMa Member