Board insulation alternatives

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by ShmoeMo, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ShmoeMo

ShmoeMo New Member

Hey guys.

Gonna be getting into extreme cooling soon with dry ice and acetone and was wondering what are some alternative materials that i could use to insulate the board as liquid tape, plasti dip, pcb lacquer and knedable eraser can be fairly exspensive. What are some alternative materials that i can use to insulate my board? I was thinking maybe blu tack or silly putty. i really wanna stay away from vaseline as its extremely messy and i dont really wanna have to put the motherboard in the dish washer everytime i want to put it back into storage.

Cheers
    ShmoeMo

2. RavenAU

RavenAU Member

I don't think your ready for extreme cooling.

Those 'expensive' products are one hell of a lot cheaper than a new MB, CPU, GPU.

Its not exactly a cheap hobby...

money_killer likes this.
  3. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

yeah, I wouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel. Many of the early guys were on a tight budget like you and they made it work. Vaseline and dishwasher have been used for such a long time (and still being used) for a reason. Also, in the nicest possible way, if you're spending big money on pots and hardware surely you can spring for consumables?

money_killer likes this.
  4. im late

im late Member

I have never really heard of a sub ambient bencher that wants to prep a board in a way that is easy/cheap to reverse.

Usually once you commit to the hobby you expect
    the board to be used for that purpose until it dies or you move onto other platforms. “Collateral damage” so to speak.

All the popular methods are the tried and true methods so logically it makes sense to stick to them and stick with what experienced Benchers do.

5. im late

im late Member

Also best to ask that question in
    Hwbot or overclock.net as the active Benchers chat there. There is also the Australia OC Facebook page if you have not joined a team already. Good guys in there who know what they are
    Doing and will offer
    Cost effective ways if required.

ironically OCAU is less and less about overclocking instead more about everything else.

6. OP
    OP
    ShmoeMo

ShmoeMo New Member

I would love to be able to buy a proper pot but im not to keen on spending 500 buks on a block of copper XD I was going to make my own basic pot with some copper pipe/plate, im only looking to do dry ice at the moment liquid nitrogen maybe in the future along with a real pot. Im not looking to overclock some insane hardware, mainly just my old i5 3570k some core 2 quads and duos and possibly some of my GPU collection. I mainly just want to do it to past time not really looking to break records. So if i kill any hardware ill be a bit bummed but im not really at a loss.

If i have to go vaseline i will im just not keen on getting it everywhere or removing it haha. Will have a look at blutack or plasti dip aswell

7. Bourke

Bourke Member

paper towel
    sheet high density foam
    those "chux" things
    sticky tape

8. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

I'm an experienced LN2 bencher.

Getting into the hobby is rarely cheap, but you can make some good choices on basics.
    First up with the pot - ask around for a second hand one - lots of guys are not too active anymore and might be interested in moving gear on. You're too new here at OCAU to buy/sell, but you can hit up OCN/Hwbot forums and see what you can find.

We use vaseline because it works. There's the story from one of Australia's best benchers Youngpro - about how at first he was reluctant to use vaseline to protect his hardware, and he would go on to kill it, and then would have to outlay the cost of replacing it. Using vaseline, he was able to keep the hardware alive, saving him money.
    These days the other major one we use is liquid electrical tape/Plastidip, which we lay on nice and thick to keep the parts dry. But in a rush, I'll always go back to vaseline. 5mins of coat, 2mins on the hair dryer, ready to bench.

The other alternative here, is to get one of Kingpin's heaters https://kingpincooling.com/collections/extreme-pc-cooling/products/kpc-inferno-heater-plate-kit
    These are far from cheap, but an absolute game-changer, I can genuinely say I would not want to bench without one. You could probably use these quite easily with most other company's pots too if you do find or make something.

if you're making a pot, it absolutely has to be made of copper, and LOTS of it. There's plenty of old info about guys who made pots and were quite successful, but avoid cost cutting on not using a hefty piece of copper, because without it, the temps will swing and on dry ice, you'll start the benchmark at -65 to -70, and by the time the benchmark is up, you'll be at -30 sitting in a puddle of water and wondering why the benchmark crashed.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/hwbot-discussion-thread-ver2.1000474/ this is the "home" thread for Australia OC Hwbot team, not a lot of activity there but we do all subscribe to it so any info you might be after, feel free to post in there.

Whereabouts are you located? If you're in Melbourne, I'll be attending this event https://www.chisholm.edu.au/tgf and will be doing liquid nitrogen demonstrations. If you're able to come make sure you introduce yourself.

ShmoeMo, juzz86 and im late like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    ShmoeMo

ShmoeMo New Member

I end up redesigning the pot i was going to make as i thought to myself that i might not have enough thermal mass to run becnhmarks without heating up to much, So i end up re doing it in a cad software and the base of the pot now consists of a 50x65mm slug of copper that i will drill out some holes in for more surface area but still keeping enough mass to it so it doesnt heat up to quick. After seeing a few peeps here at the forum reccomend not cheaping out on insulation materials i will most likely be going liquid e tape or plasti dip. I have been eyeing off the KPC socket heater for a bit now and will probably buy one in the future. Any idea what price i would be looking at on a second hand KPC or De8auer pot?
    Unfortunately im down in Tasmania or i would for sure come to the event. I do want to work with ln2 in the future but i dont think we have any suppliers in the north of tassie as we only have one DICE supplier in the north now.

10. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Ag-tas on these forums is the only subzero bencher I know of in Tasmania.
    Not sure on the second hand price, they're a rare item to be selling.