1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

bob builds win7 pc in 2020 on brand new hardware.

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by BobJustBob, Mar 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

if it ain't belong, it ain't. bob makes it (thread) anyway..

i had another thread, now abandoned deliberately, about this. it had build up and excitement.

but now, now all the pieces are here. the only thing stopping me now (today) is the damn humidity. so now, unlike before, it's a done deal. i can actually build it solo, without canibalising my main one. i suppose that was also what was holding bob back. i knew once i start, there is no going back. this way, got case and psu since last post about this in old thread, i can build new one anytime (weather permitting) in other room, whilst this can stay on and whatever...

so.. to my beloved fans from before.. it's truly happening. all parts are here as seen in updated and final pic. yes, as now seen in new pic, i decided i will use the hd bluray (already had on hand and was just gonna keep as is.) with the build. i did get a case i like, visually (soon for the "use" test) and a psu (and yeah, bob crazy -seven-fiddy-) so i can build without even shutting down this one. so no more excuses, except for the weather. ..okay, and mood. but that's okay..

case, fractal design, was introduced to me by a good decent user here. may father smile upon you, beloved child. ..and on me too. (fyi, once system is up and running etc, for a few days, and if bob "loves" case, he will buy another as spare. bob, cray cray...)

i also got new stand alone (not b/s sub) imager with 50% off by contacting rep. (father, bless him too pls) $30 good price.. i know carey holzman will have new codes for it again too, but that is end of march and i doubt more than 50%, but even if so, bob happy with 50% off...

we are good to go.. oh yes, i also prepared the win7 usb stick to include usb3/nvme drivers using the asus ez install software, so it should a) work from usb2/3 ports and b) find the 960pro during install.

the entire pc is pictured here, well almost. nah, it really is, the only other thing will be to plug in router and a few data drives.. so now, after getting case/psu (and lord, what psu) it truly is a stand alone pc.

for the win7 haters. this system will be 2x win7 boots and 1x win10 boot. so i will use win10 but only if/when i need/want. and i will image boots when clean so i can restore (especially win10) when they get too "dirty" or whatever... (additionally, via this build, bob got "introed" to fractal design. they seem "kosher" and not crap brand, so always good to have more options... and hell, i got one of their cases, so not just introed, but truly introed. just what bob wanted, well technically 5 bays but 4 is fine too.. and it's slick and nice and the door is flush, blah blah.. if agg (boooo!) doesn't hurt bob again, benchmarks and pics when finished will be next. either way, my fans/haters now have closure.)

this is well past four paragraphs, so hopefully shane got bored and left....

[​IMG]

OJR likes this.
  2. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

This thread feels like a parody of something, I’m just not sure what. The talking in third person seems to come from the character Bob in the sitcom Becker, but that’s all I’ve worked out so far...

Dilbery likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

my life... it's a parody of my pathetic existence. it's about a "man" falling down. about the final gasps as i accept my own mortality and surrender wholeheartedly to father and mother. mother gaia. father takes my soul, mother my rotting bones and the flesh. mother birthed me, and through my finality absorbs me. the circle of life. i just want to live a little longer, healthy, wealthy and wise. do you see? do you understand? do you get it now?

forgot to also mention GPU, duh.... so that too. but that is a card, so once i am done with "black beauty" (code name for the FD box), i just slot it in and bam, install windows and carry on. and if i'll need to return to silver beauty (my current box) same thing. though before i start i shall make it so i won't have to. once silver beauty (SB) gets shut down, it should be for good. after black beauty (BB) is up and running and has all drives inside and is closed and on my desk, her final resting place, silver beauty will be cleaned and placed into storage.

4. Vanne

Vanne Member

Man,my head hurts reading through that, but that's ohkay, it's prob due to jetlag, and the multitude of other crap. I do however like the style of writing. And I will re-read it once I am out of the haze. The first 2 lines I had to re-read it 5 times just to get my head around what you were trying to say in my current state, so for that, thanks Bob. Nice build btw. :)

BobJustBob likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

thanks cute pony... i just returned from the other room where bob, bobby, the bob maister supreme, has been sweating due to his obesity and high humidity - a deadly combination. i've been doing things bit by bit, real slow like. (pic of build as of this posting. below..)

jetlag eh? ..where'dya'been? maybe it's the virus?

yes, bob writes that way for fun and effect. plus he's crazy comanche. right now bobby is hungry, so food comes next. what? you see, that is why bobby is a pig. my choices are all mainly fast food; kcf, dominos, maccas, burger king, subway, kebab, etc.. quick and dirty food but not good for the body. no, bob doesn't cook. he could, sure, master chef like, but nah.

cpu is in like flint and sitting sweet. took two ram sticks out (easy peasy) so the heatsink and, especially, fan will be easier to install. i will be installing the thing just like this guy in terms of placement/facing. i'll only use one fan not two like at the very end. that one cpu cooler fan will blow towards back of case and the white one at back of case (as seen in sexy pic) will then continue blowing (uh, yeah....!!!) the warm/hot air out. just under the thick black mb cable, sits the 960pro. GOD willing, i'll be able to boot off usb and see drive from win7 install. (usb stick prepped for it, so it should, just not sure if father is gonna troll.)

..then; install 8pin cpu cable (ready at bottom on table) before heatsink, lest i troll myself. the heatsink will cover things otherwise so yeah yeah.... and there better be some wiggle room too. bob don't like tight spaces... well, one exception notwithstanding. ;-)

then; install other cables near cpu and then thermal paste (a smallish dab just like in video and as noctua says too) followed by the metal petal. then clip on the one fan finalizing the heatsink/fan combo. then re-insert the two ram sticks to make 32 anew.

then; insert rom drives. three. but i won't plug their cables in. that, later..

then; sound card into pciex1. bob happy that that slot doesn't "share" usb or whatever, like two others do. (what the hell is with that still happening? time to move past xx lanes and embrace 500 lanes or whatever. no more sharing. bob wants 64bit pci5 slots all running at full speed with no sharing..) as it stands, BB will have two cards. the gpu, currently a modest 1080ti and the sb ae9. after reading the manual, bob has two more pcie slots he could use, that don't share things - assuming bob's reading is good.

this thread update will do for now....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

@Vanne

i see you liked, cool, but no reply? ..or are you still jetlagged? ..or.. or.. you had enough of bob?

well maybe you can reply and help bob too. bob is looking for a working youtube downloader. (add-on or stand alone actual program) i want to grab some videos, not even "protected" (like vimeo music crap for girls) ones - though those should be gettable too, for offline watching, but don't want to try several after already -over time- trying many with all failing or failing soon after. is there a good working one that can grab yt videos at 1080/4k with no b/s restrictions whatsoever. like 1 minute length and such shit. those types by doing that, already reveal themselves to be pure hacks and shit and almost certainly dangerous too. i know yt plays games and constantly changes things in the background, but is there not at least one addon/standaolne (for vivaldi or firefox preferably, but would use any browser) even if commercial (up to $20max!!) that does work?

7. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

youtube-dl

BobJustBob and Pierre32 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

have we "met" before.. you "look" famailiar..

edit;;

three (BIG BALLS) cheers for mitty. bob is happy now. bob loves command prompt software. if we had things bob's way, we would all still be dossing (but yeah, new "on top of" dos windows would also exist, along with amazing current like pc games.) anyway, bob tested it with some things and it works.. the default "youtube-dl ht tp s: //ww w. you tube. com /watch?v=DqSCtF_29j4" only grabs 720p, which worst case, even that is good enough in most cases. but still, it should grab highest res based on the readme. {"Since the end of April 2015 and version 2015.04.26, youtube-dl uses -f bestvideo+bestaudio/best as the default format selection"}

i'll skip some of the "testing" bob did, but it's now sorted. had to also grab ffmpeg/ffprobe and place in root where dl exe is. then, to grab 1080 (highest for the above xbox promo sample) version bob used:"youtube-dl -f bestvideo+bestaudio ht tps :// w ww. you tube . com/watch?v=DqSCtF_29j4". it grabbed 1080p and sound and combined and now bob has single file at 1080p. bob gently blows onto mitty's balls as reward.

hopefully this will keep working and from what bob already saw, it looks like the "program" is "heavy duty" and maintained by pros and all that, so should be good.. and that it is outside a browser is even better. bob is so happy right now. (bob will test some 1440/4k videos too just to see, but even if those fail, bob is happy still)

edit2;; a big fuck you to site for auto converting YT links into "visible" videos. fucked my post, now spaced links to bypass that shit..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  9. 2SHY

2SHY Member

You should run Windows 7 in side of a VM.

10. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

for what? testing "software" like corporations? because i game. bob games heavy duty so when a vm can access the full power of host gpu for "AAA gaming @1440p/4k+" and whatever else is needed, then a VM could be an alternative. until then...

11. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

@waltermitty

just in case, can you help bob again? looking for two "old" cases. i offer rewards in cash, just for info on where to buy either one, new. (details, but edited by some mod in below thread). tldr; brand new factory sealed/packaged. point me to a legit place that has stock and bob buys. yes, i want "extra" cases. i just got a nice fractal design (obviously) but bob would still buy both those others too, because, bob be bob. bob looked all over and could not find any sources, ergo the offer - just in case. (case, get it?) bob lost hope, but still...

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/reward-for-help-with-2-cases.1279038/

Thermaltake Urban S71
    https://www.thermaltake.com/urban-s71.html

Obsidian Series™ 800D Full-Tower Case
    https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...sidian-Series™-800D-Full-Tower-Case/p/CC800DW

12. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

mitty. i need you...

can you teach me how to grab video and audio from reddit pages that they host? please dear brother from another mother.. bob only needs one lesson per. (could youtube-hd do it? - i can't try as the video source seems to be some "alien" shit.. blobs!)

example;
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SandersFor...ay_biden_gave_a_speech_to_motivate_people_to/

using an old firefox addon i have as an example, gets the video but no sound.
    the video link is (i think) this "code"; blob:https://www.reddit.com/bfa4524e-6d90-47b5-ae28-ac3f798670a3

bob wants reddit hosted video from time to time, so it will be good if bob can grab the full clips. would you kindly?

13. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

14. Vanne

Vanne Member

bob..

Yep still in the lag... Aside from that, still baking, cos every pony needs a piece of cake.

I'll be in ADL next week, I'll have 2 days to get out of the fog in my head.

I'll re-read the adventures of Bob and Shane then.

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Sorry how is this retro and arcade?

[​IMG]

JSmith

shane41 likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

grabbed that thanks. i was going to ask "how", but decided to look at the page /source code again and before i must have loaded something else?, because i see it (direct video link) there now and it's easy peasy.. i'll test it on another reddit video bob wants to confirm.

why? does it bother you? you have an agenda against me? is there a minimum time in years before an item can be posted about? is the site running out of "space" in the database? i'm pretty sure agg saw this and if he doesn't have a problem why should you?

to answer you anyway, because some people suggested it before, even if in jest, and because the chipset/cpu are now discontinued. (2014/16) and windows 7 too.. (2009) this pc upgrade is retro.

oh, and "thanks' for the animated gif. i grabbed it for my "collection".

for anyone interested, i decided to go (not yet applied, in a day or so) with the recommended "one point" method for my cpu thermal application protocol. 3:08 for the 4th type;

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Because this section of for retro and arcade, so when I read a thread here I expect it to be about same.
    Yes it does for reasons above.
    Of course not.
    Yes 10 years is considered the time for something to become "retro", however that is a different thread again.
    I'm just checking the price of fish for you. ;)
    Really? I highly doubt it... wasn't your last build thread closed?
    No worries, anytime. :)

JSmith

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

He has an optical drive. That pretty much qualifies it as Retro these days :lol:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    shane41, im late, adz and 1 other person like this.
  19. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Retro in the technology world generally constitute 10 years minimum since the product was discontinued/EOL. Windows 7 launched in 2009, it didn't end then. Heck, even XP is on the fence.

20. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

yes, and only because i did that. i posted in a way that would lock both. the simpsons trolling i didn't care about, but to show i could close it and "overpower" all those "hero" posters, i did that. it's that simple. the other one too, i "derailed" even more because since nobody "helped" i declared beforehand i would. so i got my own threads closed.

a dying forum (they all have been since a decade or more now) worried about an out of "bounds" post. maybe don't have a million sub forums, some somewhat duplicating content, to confuse the lesser people, like bob. and if truly in wrong place, why engage in some back and forth to perhaps trigger the creator. just move thread to "correct" section, and carry on. bob gives the google spider some nice soe content, don't you worry about that. and agg, is kinda "keeping en eye on me. which is fine, point being; it's all good.

finally, i now decided to "hybrid" this upgrade pc. yes, for fun and to stay relevant, i will (via very rare/special converter) install my 1990's roland lapc-i ISA (yes, ISA) midi card into BB. i'll also investigate the same for a 5.25" floppy drive, which i would dearly love to have working in my main pc.

Capt; BB will have 3 opticals, not one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.