Booking US trip via Qantas site - problems

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by cevad, Aug 1, 2014.

1. cevad

cevad Member

Hi All,

I am trying to look into flights for myself and I to go to the USA in a few months time.

Trying to arrange the following:

PER - CLT on 17 September and then JFK - PER on 14 October.

Seems the Multi-city booking tool doesnt like this, as there are no connecting segments, however using the American Airlines site to organise this is no problems, and it even books the international segments (and .au domestic) on Qantas codeshare.

Any suggestions on how I could get his organised without heading to a travel agent?

I also have 230k ff points that I was hoping to use to upgrade to PE or Business (although I realise this is probably unlikely, as I am only Bronze - I do have some status credits, which may push me into Silver with the first part of this trip).

If I cant book via Qantas online, I may resort to booking with AA direct.

Thanks.

2. redslert

redslert Member

3. OP
    OP
    cevad

cevad Member

Thanks, its been doing my head in, I even resorted to just looking for prices for just PER - LAX return, and possibly book the internal US flights directly with US airline (the price difference between American Airlines and Qantas is significant).

Will see what they suggest.

4. pksw

pksw Member

Cevad, you can use http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightAvailability/flightAvailability.do to see if there are available tickets in the class you wish to upgrade to. If Qantas shows 9 tickets it means 9 or more, which means there are plenty of seats.

eg I wanted to upgrade from business to first using points, and checked my flight. There were 4 "F/P" class fares with 24 hours before takeoff, and sure enough I got the confirmation on my upgrade. If you want to upgrade to business, check the "J" and I think D or I class (might be wrong on that) and see if there are plenty of unbooked seats.