Bookshelves vs Floorstanders

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by solid_snake, Dec 6, 2008.

1. solid_snake

solid_snake Member

Hi guys
    I'm slowly building up my home theatre room (have already bought a TV and blu-ray player) and cant seem to decide between floorstanders and bookshelves as the mains/fronts for the sound system. The rig will be going into a medium sized 'open' (not completely closed off) room and will be used about 80% for movies and 20% music. I know floorstanders usually have an advantage in deeper bass but the sub should eliminate this problem, correct? What are your thoughts?

Edit: My budget is about $1500 max for the speakers. At the moment im leaning towards the dali concept 1s as fronts and surround speakers, dali concept centre as the centre and most likely the wharfedale diamond SW150BAV as the sub.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. the_cripple

the_cripple Member

bookshelves for $1500 will be better quality compared to floor standings of the same price. Just due to the extra materials etc needed to make a floor stander, more wood etc etc.

For mainly HT use i'd go the floor standers, if it were mainly music i'd go bookshelves.

3. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Really? I'd be going the other way...

4. ltd73

ltd73 Member

you'll find that floor-standers have far more balance across the range of frequencies, my personal opinion is that most bookshelves + subwoofer result in a dead zone in the base, e.g. from (say) 100Hz to 1000(+)Hz.

the subwoofer may well get you the <100Hz but you end up with a 'dead zone' that isn't sufficiently serviced by either.

best bet is to go & listen to them with whatever source material you want to use as a reference - be it DVD, BR or music - and make up your mind based on that.

don't be afraid to rearrange a store listening room to try to mimic the layout of your room either. the good stores will most certainly let you.

finally, assuming you are looking to purchase something that will last you for years, i wouldn't cut corners here. suggest you get the best fronts you can and if you cannot afford a good sub to go with that, go without for 6 months until you can.

i say this as the voice of experience - and with fronts that i've had for 10+ years now and are still absolutely stunning to listen to for music, coupled to a high quality sub for the deep stuff. having said that, fronts go down to 35Hz on their own. :)

really good speakers are nothing short of amazing to listen to. i still love that i can hear things that simply weren't there with other setups (and in the car), e.g. things that got through studio recordings as-is, e.g. somone dropping a tamborine by mistake, a sneeze in the background, all sorts of subtlities that you get with a good setup sound stage.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  5. anlashok

anlashok Member

Two choices you can buy bookshelf first and use them for awhile and then use them for rear speakers later on, or just buy floor standers straight up.

Your floor standing speaker (all things being equal) will give you a bigger fuller sound stage, more dramatic impact as they give more bottom end. They will also give a more well rounded sound as it has been said about the hole bookshelf + sub systems have in the mid bass.

As long as you don't have any restrictions go the floor standing.

Have you listened to Krix or B&W

6. THE D

THE D Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That only happens if you have very small speakers, and even then the biggest gap would be about 120hz to 300hz (for very bad speakers).
    Any good bookshelf speakers will go down to 60-70Hz and that will give you enough room to blend the speakers and sub together fine.

7. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

It doesn't matter in the slightest IMO, what matters is the particular speaker in question. The volume of a large bookshelf speaker is plenty sufficient to get it playing down quite low where a sub can pick up to job.

Depending on your setup and tastes though, floorstanders may be more appealing - both visually, and possibly in their ability to deliver volume levels that will be very bad for your ears (and actually not sound all that good).

8. LesserAgitant

LesserAgitant Member

floorstanding : better overall music experience. That air volume inside is very
    important for sound reproduction. It cannot be artificially substituted.

9. ltd73

ltd73 Member

i disagree - but again - i think its highly dependent on your individual preferences.

with "non crap" bookshelves (Polk M3s) which i use for my HT rears, i experimented using them with the sub, most definitely NOT the same kind of sound-stage between the sub & fronts. (sub is a M&K).

10. OP
    OP
    solid_snake

solid_snake Member

Thanks for the replies guys

I've actually decided to purchase a set of paradigm speakers, heard the 'Titans' over the weekend and was absolutely stunned by the clarity. They sounded amazing. I'd still like to hear the Monitor 7's though before I make my final decision.

11. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

buy good bookshelves and use them as fronts for now

save money

then buy floorstanders and move the bookshelves to the rears

win/win?