Bootcamp games question

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by lxboston, Mar 2, 2020.

1. lxboston

lxboston Member

Hi

So I have a 15” late 2016 MacBook Pro. I am running bootcamp on this to play some old nostalgic games eg. Red alert 2, counter strike etc.

Main problem is I’ve only got about 7gb free on the partition.

I want to try play battlefield 5 as I’ve seen someone running it on YouTube ok.

I had the idea that I could plug in flash storage say a 128gb chip into my usb 2 adapter that I have. Would installing a game of this size eg 50gb run ok on a flash chip?

2. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

USB2 and most shitty flash drives will be too slow
    Just buy a cheap $69 office works usb3/C hdd and put your games on that. Or spend a bit more on an external usb3/c SSD if you're worried about loading times.

3. Hater

Hater Member

thunderbolt3 my man

4. OP
    OP
    lxboston

lxboston Member

So you reckon get a thunderbolt 3 external drive? Or its an external SSD?

5. Hater

Hater Member

tb3 is just the interface. the internal drive will be an SSD either way if you get USB-C drive or a thunderbolt 3 drive.

they use the same connector and same port on your laptop, only difference is that tb3 is faster.

6. OP
    OP
    lxboston

lxboston Member

OK cool, and Thunderbolt 3 works fine on bootcamp, Win 10?

7. Hater

Hater Member

yes its an intel technology, not apple specific

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Background on USB protocols - USB2 is half duplex, meaning data can't travel in two directions at once. So that's not just about reading and writing, but anything where the host wants to query the disk (send a request) in order to get a response. The real world impact of that is horrendous when it comes to random IO tasks like gaming and general desktop use (rather than data streaming from devices).

USB3 in "SuperSpeed" mode (5Gbit/s connectivity) is full-duplex, which puts it closer to SATA in terms of performance. (Newer modes go up in speed again from there). Thunderbolt is PCIE connected and duplex, so it's nice and fast too. But again, the "full duplex" part is what makes real-world latency feel not terrible, compared to USB2.

damo13579 and lxboston like this.
  9. everybodies

everybodies Member

why usb2?

i find ssd on usb3 runs almost as fast as internal, i think should be fast enough

get a $10 2'5 inch USB3 enclosure and some SSD - not necessarily EVO

10. OP
    OP
    lxboston

lxboston Member

Alright an update, I got a basic usb3/c 1tb drive for $75 and have got it running on low settings on my 2016 mbp.

Loading the game is slightly slower than my work PC (which I use for gaming after hours) but it’s pretty good using the external drive.

i also used proper Radeon drivers which are provided by bootcampdrivers.com , which made the FPS better

11. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

2 - 3X the price for a proper thunderbolt drive vs an officeworks usb3 cheapie

12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Of course a 5400RPM mechanical HDD is going to offer questionable performance USB3 or not...

...Then again, entry level Mac's still come equipped with 5400RPM mechanical HDD's...And offer questionable performance. :rolleyes:

13. everybodies

everybodies Member

from my testing 2'5 inch USB3 is about 1/2 speed of a 3'5inch USB3 drive

big eye roll to a basic USB3 1TB :)

not sure a $1600 computer is entry level, but yea, the whole thing is a joke, supposed to generate less heat, but the hard disks i've pulled from Mac Mini's (not sure thats entry lvl at all) they are just so slow for anything. it's like when they're inside the MacMini it's magic but once you pull it out it is such slow shit drive.

14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I've got a 2012 Mac Mini i7 with 16GB ram, the 5400RPM HDD is simply too slow. I junked it and fitted an SSD.

15. Hater

Hater Member

which spec of mac mini? assuming a 2014 - if it was a fusion drive then that would explain why.

16. everybodies

everybodies Member

why bother with 2014 when the CPU is a lot weaker?
    you get a shitty dual core i7 in 2014 and thats pretty much the only thing that's different AFAIK vs quad core 8 thread 2012 i7

just saying, those apple 5400 are such rubbish, totally unsuitable for OS