bored, give me a program to write.

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Foliage, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Wako

Wako Member

Use rsync, its heaps better.

Use sickbeard inconjunction with sabnzbd for the ultimate setup. You can use it with torrents, but it isnt nearly as good.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. schnappy

schnappy Member

Sorry, bad 2am post :p

LCDSmartie has a plugin to read contents from a text file. LCDSmartie is definitely not the most actively developed program around, so getting plugins for a particular program you want is a lost cause most of the time. But all a program needs to do is output some data (Say for a TV recording app like TV Scheduler Pro, the current channel being recorded) and you can, although a little messy, make LCDSmartie spit that data onto an LCD - but you won't need to learn how to code LCDSmartie plugins to do it.

Hope that makes a lot more sense :)

3. evesdropping

evesdropping Member

I don't know how hard this would be, or if it already exists (I have googled it and got nothing but I might not be searching for the right thing).

I like to watch telly while I go to sleep, but since there is rarely anything good on tv, I usually just watch stuff I have on my computer. Problem is, some shows are louder than others and sometimes the volume of the sound system is set at a good volume to allow for hearing what is happening, but not to be so loud as to interfere with falling asleep, but then a different show comes on and it is heaps too loud and you might have been just about to fall asleep, but then you have to half wake up and turn the volume down.

Do you reckon you could make something that would limit the maximum volume without reducing the volume of everything below the maximum limit? It would only need to work with vlc player if that made it any easier.

I guess the other way to solve the problem would be something that could automatically analyse multiple selected files and adjust the play back volume of each file to make them an equal average volume. That sounds pretty hard though

It would be rad if you could get either of those things to happen, but the more I think about it, the more I think I might be asking a bit much haha

4. OP
    OP
    Foliage

Foliage Member

Uni is back now, so with that and full time work no real spare time guys. Maybe someone else will pick this up?

5. shortielah

shortielah Member

I've been following this so I can simply learn. Gimme 2-3 years and I'll *try* lol

6. cokeeffekt

cokeeffekt Member

meh why not ill give this a crack.... simple rules.

if devtime > freetime return false.

lets see what we get.

7. OP
    OP
    Foliage

Foliage Member

bump for all dem programmers out there with no job :thumbup::thumbup:

8. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

Holy grave-dig, batman!

In other news, its interesting to see the sorts of mis-conceptions people have / had (and also some of the great ideas!).

9. neRok

neRok Member

I could do with a little something made for windows. Hopefully you/someone is keen.

I am working on a django based website, and I am sick of restarting the dev-server it comes with by closing and opening a batch-file that I keep in the project folder - the only line of code being python manage.py runserver. A small program that has an on/off/reset switch would be sweet :thumbup: The button should also be in the 'Notification Area Icons' of the taskbar, and the output from webserver shown in the program (this usually gets dumped into the command prompt started by the dev-server).

A few more nice little tricks could be a list of common commands used (instead of runserver), such as syncdb, makemigrations, migrate, etc. Maybe even the same on/off switch to run a mysql/postgresql server. Having a shell running within the program would make things easier too (with an ability to 'reset' the shell).

This program should be portable (ie run off usb), and if it stored a list of projects, that would be ideal. They could just be user loaded, ie click the button and choose the project folder to add it to a dropdown. That way the program would know which manage.py to be issuing commands to (as there is 1 per project folder).

10. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Slow day, I give you DJangler -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5548415/Debug.zip

Source included.

11. neRok

neRok Member

Doesnt quite work :p And I dont know how to turn the source file into an exe, so cannot fix myself :rolleyes:

If I run command "python manage.py runserver", it is only running "python manage.py", which just spits out a bunch of usage/options text. And running command "manage.py runserver" gives a "the system cannot find the file specified" error (this works when run from cmd in the folder).

Problem 1 appears to be occuring because of line 98
    Code:
    ((Command) cmbCommands.SelectedItem).CommandText.Split(' ')[1]);
    Does it need to be split?
    Problem 2 I dont know the cause. It might be expecting the first part of the command to be a command, not to point at a file that will be given a command?
    BTW, what is the purpose of lines 90-92?

12. breech

breech Member

Im going to drop my app wish here :p

At work (win7 32/64) I am constantly stuffing about with comm ports and IPv4 settings. I would like an app that can be pinned on top of all other windows that shows:
    * All current USB-serial/hardware serial connections, allows changing port numbers on the fly, option to hide and unwanted port.
    * Same as above for IPv4 config, allowing auto/manual/recent settings.

If the app.title could have a different name for non auto-ip mode, then I could use autohotkey for further manipulation.

13. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Good man, added a faux string extension to return a substring after the first space char, the command string needs to split as the c# Process object takes separate filename and args properties.

90-92 handles if the event is fired from systray menu button.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5548415/Debug.zip

14. neRok

neRok Member

Thanks, but something else is wrong now. The command fires up, but the GUI 'locks up' (seems to be stuck in some sort of loop), and there is nothing written to the 'output' box. I had to shutdown djangler.exe with task manager, but doing so kept the command running in a seperate process (so djangler.exe was shutdown, but python.exe was still running).

15. OP
    OP
    Foliage

Foliage Member

This actually sounds really useful, however changing port numbers on the fly would actually be quite complex as it depends entirely what kind of driver software they are using, displaying it though would be a walk in the park.

IP settings would be easy, the program would need to be constantly running to detect when someone had changed the IP outside of the program and log it, but if you always changed it via the program it would be easy to store a list of commonly used configs, this would be super useful for me as well as I often change from 10.0.0.2 to DHCP when connecting to new out of the box hardware.

Do you run windows 7/8? As that is what I would program it for.

I might look into this when I have some spare time later this week, (got thurs/fri off work).

16. breech

breech Member

Awesome, Win 7/8 is perfect. I would only be setting IP stuff from this app. If serial ports cannot be edited directly, a shortcut to open device manager/ports & Ipconfig would be great.

Oh! feature creep time: something that shits me about IP config is moving between octets that are less than 3 characters, for example the 1 here: [192] [168] [1] *TAB* pressing TAB moves to the subnet field. Yes, I could type 001, but I always forget. Annoying.

17. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Don't you just hit "dot" to skip to the next octet? Exactly how you would if you were going to ping something... 192 dot 168 dot 1 dot 1... the first two aren't needed in your ip properties but using dot instead of tab for the last two should do what you want just as quickly, and with something thats probably already ingrained in you for other areas.

18. breech

breech Member

Ok, It never occurred to me that that would work. I still won't remember to do it.

19. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Yeah the UI thread is waiting for the process it spawned to finish, might have some time tomorrow to have another crack.

20. archie

archie Member

If you're still interested, looking for a program to convert CSV into a nice table (preferably Word, Excel would do too) with meaningful values.

We output a CSV backup which is just a bunch of numbers.
    First row could be:
    1,4,0,0,0,0,1,150,1 and so on.

Each CSV value will need a lookup table
    In some spots a "1" stands for "Enabled", "0" for "Disabled".
    In some spots digits could range from 1 to 15. 1 could mean Apple, 2 could mean orange and so on.

On the output Word/Excel table, we will have some fixed column & row headings and the program will fill in the blank table as per what it reads from the CSV above (with "Enabled" or "Apple" etc)

hmm, not sure if that makes sense :confused:

Happy to pay :)