BOSE exits Australia physical retail - closes half of global stores

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by boneburner, Jan 16, 2020.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

BOSE announced today their decision to shutter their physical stores in North America, Japan, Europe and Australia.

With the continuing trend of online purchases + the availability of their product through third party locations (Best Buy, Target, Amazon etc) the privately held company will close 119 stores in response to market forces. Those same market forces however, will see them retain 130 stores in China, United Arab Emirates, India, Southeast Asia and South Korea.

“Originally, our retail stores gave people a way to experience, test, and talk to us about multi-component, CD and DVD-based home entertainment systems,” said Colette Burke, Bose’s vice president of global sales. “At the time, it was a radical idea, but we focused on what our customers needed, and where they needed it — and we’re doing the same thing now.”

via: TheVerge

2. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Better Off Somewhere Else... I guess...

3. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

The Bose stores were quite nice. I rarely saw sales though when I was in there, primarily because their products were always cheaper elsewhere.
    Unlike Apple products, where it’s rarely much cheaper elsewhere, Bose products could be bought up to 20% off through third parties and customers were unaware that Bose physical stores would price match authorised resellers.

4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

My reaction to when I heard Bose were closing their retail shops: They have retail shops???

In all honesty I'd be interested to hear if this is a common reaction to news of a bricks and motar shop closing. Probably for the last 15 years or so I've done the majority of my shopping online the only thing I don't do is grocery shopping which I will go down to my local Coles/Woolies for. Visiting shopping centres to actually browse shops and see what is available is a rarity for me thesedays so I just don't see what shops are out there.

Undoubtably this is the trend which is seeing retail shops closing so it doesn't surprise me we have gotten to the point where they are starting to drop off with more regularity.

5. power

power Member

I don't really know why Bose thought they could run a retail chain in the first place.

clonex and Lord Belial like this.
  6. nico6

nico6 Member

Blimy teddy! If they considered *opening shops with people to talk to* a *radical idea*, that tends to explain why their products are so, well, meh :)

Pugs likes this.
  7. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

I actually think their products don’t deserve the crap they get from people. They are the Apple of sound. You may not like their stuff, but I definitely don’t think their products are unremarkable or poor.

my Bose surround system and 700 headphones are amazing (if not the best value for money compared to competitors).

Madengineer likes this.
  8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

They might be the Apple of sound, but they don't have the same appeal or popularity as Apple, this makes it mostly a pointless product for most people.

I could have told them from the start their retail stores were doomed, it doesn't appeal to Audiophiles and it doesn't appeal to apple users as they would sooner buy something in the Apple store.

Anteros and Pugs like this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Don't think I've ever been in a Bose store but I can imagine they would be quite up market. But meh, if online only is where it's at for them good luck to them.

10. mtma

mtma Member

Their press is obviously canned but some of the replies are a laugh.
    I think variations of it are pretty common. That thread in some other section about it, almost all of the brands that were in strife or shut down left me thinking : "Oh they're still around?" or "What did they do again?" I had assumed that they had probably changed hands or died a natural death and re-birthed as a different brand.

Probably the co-op bookstore was a legit one that I thought would just keep going - textbooks and edition rolling is pretty much the subscription service of the 20th century. But I guess there's no need to deliver that content as paper any more.

11. Radley

Radley Member

Their nooise cancelling headphones are among the best (especially for flying). Their home theater/audio stuff is overpriced crap.

the_fuzz likes this.
  12. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

having always wondered how they keep so many store open and empty in premium locations.. it would never have been a profit strategy but a PR one. I can see them keeping locations in department stores but physical stores for them is just stupid.

while they do sell great headphones (NC).. they have lots of retail partners that undercuts them.

For HIFI.. there is so much better/cheap alternatives. Not saying they are crap.. but they are more "design" pieces rather an Audiophiles choice.