Boss GT-10 Review.

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by slashrox, Sep 4, 2008.

1. slashrox

slashrox Member

Ok so on Tuesday I finally got my Boss GT-10 guitar effects processor (after waiting 3 weeks for the local guitar store to get stock).

I bought the GT-10 because it was cheaper to buy that over single stomp pedals (I got the GT-10 for $780). For the price of some single effects pedals (like the Boss Delay Pedals etc), I thought it was justified to get the GT-10. I also wanted something that could plug into the computer for recording.

The more I play through the GT-10, the more I love it!

I'm still in the process of setting it up. The Eruption Patch sounds awesome! It nails Ed's sound from the VH-1 era perfectly! This is my favourite preset so far. My favourite clean preset is the JC-120.

One of the Wah's on the GT-10 smokes my Dunlop CGB-95 wah. I really never liked the tone of my CGB-95, and using the wah on the GT-10 confirms it! I think the wah I liked on the GT-10 was the "crybaby" one.

The things that the Boss GT-10 has that the GT-6 and GT-8 don't have is A Looper, USB Connectivity and a extra Control (CTRL) button. The USB Connectivity is handy for recordings with the computer and loading patches on to the processor etc. The looper is a cool feature too!

I tell ya what though, the lights on the GT-10 are bloody bright!!

I've played my uncles Boss GT-6 before and the GT-10 smokes it!!! The GT-10 is 100000x easier to use! The Gt-6 has too many knobs on it and I get frustrated every time I try to use it.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Boss GT-10. I think I need to read the instruction manual as there are still a few things I need to learn about it.

If you are looking for a great effects processor, get the Boss Gt-10!

2. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Good review, thx man. I'm jealous now, the one weak part of my Boss ME-50 is the wah, it only has one wah setting and it sounds great with clean sounds but horrid with gain - your sounds awesome by comparison. The 'voice' setting on my expression pedal is more fun than the wah setting. Has yours got the Uni-V in there too? I love that bad-boy! :thumbup:

3. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

i want to upgrade my gt8. going to have to wait though, since i got my gt8 for such a good price, a gt10 now is too expensive.

4. OP
    OP
    slashrox

slashrox Member

I got the GT-10 from my local store for $780. I was suprised that they sell them for this price! I thought they would be over $1000 as they haven't been out for very long. Billy Hydes had the GT-10 listed for $906 (It seems to have disappeared from their site) and Billy Hydes also have the GT-8 listed for $906.

I think its worth the Upgrade in my opinion if you have a GT-3/GT-5/GT-6/GT-8. I've never used a GT-8 but by the looks, its pretty similar to a GT-6 (with all the knobs on it etc). The GT-10 is so much easier to use than the GT-6 and I'd imagine the GT-10 would be easier to use over the GT-8 too.

The USB connectivity is handy for recordings :thumbup:

I recorded ATBL at midnight. I used the patch "erupting" (which nails ed's sound from VH-1 in my opinion) and the "JC-120" patch on the clean part (The clean part is a little out of time due to me walking over to the unit while playing guitar to change patches as the unit wasn't anywhere near the computer).

http://media.putfile.com/Aint-Talkin-Bout-Love-92

Its a great unit :thumbup:

The lights are bloody bright! Great for if your in a dark room at a gig and need to see what patch or effect you are using etc.

5. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

Sounds good. I think i might be looking into something simple like this for my practice rig. My practice/jamming amp only has one channel and my rack doesn't fit in the car with my cab... :lol:. I might go have a bang on something like this next month when i have a little cash. Maybe pickup a GT-8 after people start selling them.

Awesome playing btw dude. So much improvement there. :thumbup:

6. zaneus

zaneus Member

Good review, however there is something that bugs me. The fact that you claim it "Nails VH's tone perfectly" can only be a lie. If the pedal well and truly nailed that tone, who on earth would buy expencive amps such as the 5150, 6505?

Just a thing that bugs me about many reviews done by your normal, average, everyday person. People dont like saying something bad about a piece of gear they just spent all their savings on. Therefor, reviews tend to be bias.

If you really want to write an unbiased review of something you've bought, its best to wait a couple of months. That way you can get a decent feel for the product and be able to write about it more truthfully.

Bah, it doesn't matter much. Its a nice piece of equipment, have fun! :lol:

7. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

I agree with the fact that those type of pedals will never nail the feel and response a tube amp gives. If you've cranked an old Marshall you'll know exactly what i'm on about.

But for the bedroom (which is obviously his purpose), it's a pretty good all-in-one solution. I owned a GT-6 a while back and had very mixed feelings. Programming pains aside, the sound wasn't all that amazing distortion wise, but the effects were very useful. I assume the GT-10s would sound leagues ahead of the 6 in terms of distortions and modeling. What shits me most about multi effect units (hell, and even my rack) is that you have to program the same patches multiple times to work at different volumes. Shits me to tears having to re-tweak an awesome 'at-home' patch to sound good at rehearsal volumes.

@Slashrox
    What is the pitch shifter like? I need one for a few songs in my new band but i don't own a whammy. Also, can you control the GT-10 with midi?

8. OP
    OP
    slashrox

slashrox Member

I didn't mean all of EVH's tones. I mean just Ed's tone from VH-1 (maybe the sound isn't as brown but the other sounds like the phaser and the gain used on the patch is good for stuff like playing Eruption, ATBL, I'm the One, Jamie's Crying, Ice Cream Man etc) :lol:

I bought the GT-10 because of needed effects (because I want to join a band soon) and because of the USB connectivity allowing me to record :D

I haven't used the pitch shifter yet, I'll report back on it :thumbup: and yes The GT-10 is midi friendly (from the videos ive seen on youtube). If your amp supports Midi, you can also set the GT-10 up as a footswitch to your amp etc. :thumbup:

9. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

Are you able to control the GT-10 with an external midi controller though?

10. OP
    OP
    slashrox

slashrox Member

I'm not sure, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that its possible.

This forum is helpful for Boss effects processors, They should know more about the midi side of things than I do. http://bossgtcentral.com/forum/

11. OP
    OP
    slashrox

slashrox Member

Heres an updated version of the song. Apparently I wasn't using a cab simulator so a forum member over at the Boss GT Central forums fixed my recording up for me. It sounds heaps better! :thumbs: (I'm going to have to make sure in the future I use the cab simulator).

http://media.putfile.com/Aint-Talkin-Bout-Love-Updated

12. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

look fkn awesome! Glad I held out from buying a GT-8, they bought out something much better (by the looks) I've used the GT-8 and I thought it was pretty simple to use.

How is the acoustic simulation on it?

[edit]Ebay has them for for $AU610 +$US99 So it still comes in to the $750 average mark.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  13. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

yeah, i got my gt8 for 500-550 brand new, probably 3 years ago i think?

14. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

is there much/any delay when using the usb connection for recording?

15. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Has this got an analogue distortion section like TC's Nova?

16. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

I think the distortion is COSM based, yeah? Digital modeling iirc.

Slash, the playing has come right along mate, that was pretty darn impressive. I agree too, the RECORDED dirty phasered tone from VH1 (lets not worry about "it does/doesn't sound like a tube amp" - we're talking about a recorded sound here) is captured about as close as you could hope for.

17. Xplora

Xplora Member

After 20 grand of guitars, the only HONEST review you can make is after you've sold it.

18. OP
    OP
    slashrox

slashrox Member

Not that I have noticed.

I've never played the TC's Nova but I'll check to see if there is any analogue distortion.

Yeah COSM Based I think.

Thanks for the comments about my playing guys :thumbup: My strat was tuned down to Eb and the only backing track I had tuned for Eb was ATBL so yet again another recording playing ATBL :lol: (Its still one of my favorite songs to play on guitar).

I like using the GT-10 via the 4CM (4 Cable Method) through the Valveking. The 4CM disables all the control knobs on the amp so for volume & eq stuff I do that via the GT-10, so the Valveking acts like a Preamp and I use the preamp sounds on the GT-10 (There are different preamps to choose from, Personally I like the Mesa preamp for the Broken Dime patch I'm using..its a high gain patch).

Tone wise, I prefer the 4CM over the 2CM

I'm back to playing a 2x12 SS amp now, and the amp doesn't have an effects loop so I'm not able to use the 4CM :thumbdn:

More on the 4CM here - http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/string_theory/