Bought PC , questions on Video Card

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lonewolf77, Dec 19, 2017.

1. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Hey guys,

About a 5 weeks ago I had purchased :-
    Gigabyte GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB

Then a couple of weeks later I bought this second hand pc for 650$ (I guess for gaming and he told me he had purchased it for 1800$ only 7-8 months ago so i thought it was a good deal, although after checking on here, I am not sure anymore)-

CPU: Intel I3 6100
    Ram: Corsair V16GB 2133mhz
    MainBoard: MSI 150B Arctic HDD: NO HDD
    Video Card :Sapphire Nitro+ rx 480 8GB OC SR
    PSU: Corsair RM 850x
    Case: Corsair 400c
    Cooling: Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler
    Fans: 7x Aero CoolDead Silent

Anyway, my query is it turns out i think its a rx 470 and not a 480, its a Sapphire Nitro+ 8Gb i believe, but when i install the software etc and look at the specs, it seems to say its a 470....

Now when i purchased the computer (since it was after the video Card), I wasnt sure but it looked like the rx480 8Gb would be definitely better than the 1060GTX 3Gb, perhaps not just on GPU but due to the memory etc as well. So I thought its alright to purchase. But now i find out it may be a 470 (looks like it is), I am no longer sure which video card to use. And also am a bit miffed at buying this pc as it may have ended up being a waste of money if the 1060 GTX is better anyway.

When I do searches on reviews, some say the 1060 is better and others say the 8GB 470 would be a bit better. What do you guys think? Which card should i use as my main gaming video card? And what do you think of the computer for gaming, I know its a I3, but from what i read, for pure gaming not much difference between an I3 and a I5 or I7 unless the game supports the extra cores and threads, which apparently most games dont?

2. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

Looks like the 1060 is definitely better for gaming: https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1771?vs=1872

If other reviews say one or the other is better, concentrate on which is better for the games you play.

As for the i3, it really depends on the game. A lot of games run much better with four over two cores, but not all of them.

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

Where did you buy it?
    If it's not what you paid for take it back

Grechie likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Bought it second hand off a AV forum. Is there much of a price difference from a 470 to a 480?

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

enough to make a difference yes

6. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

So overall did i get ripped off , i thought the price i paid was decent for the pc parts i got butnow the video card is a lower model....

7. Roscosity

Roscosity Member

Oveerall the PC is still a good deal for $650, when you consider you're paying about $100 per component outside of the graphics card (Which would then be free)
    $100 for the chassis, CPU, RAM, Storage, PSU, Cooler, and Motherboard -> Would already be $700, so overall it's still a great deal

Just get a better graphics card in there, can suggest looking at the 1070ti if you want a future proof solution, otherwise the 1060-6gb is great for literally anything you can throw at it in 1080p