Bought samsung tablet. Is locked, any way to use it?

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by bumography, Jul 21, 2019.

1. bumography

bumography Member

Hi.
    Seems like I was scammed on Facebook marketplace.
    I bought a tab 10.5 tonight and it's been hard resetted (with the first screen as language). I did check this while I was with the seller so I assumed all was good.
    However, after bringing it home i was faced with the unlock pattern. Tried clearing cache factory reset but to no avail (seems like a new security feature on new Android).
    I checked the imei to see if it was reported stolen, which it was not. The Facebook person is not replying.

Does anyone know what I can do to actually use this tablet? If it is stolen I would be happy to return it to the original owner out of principal if I can track them somehow.
    Is it possible to install a custom rom? Or even root it in its current unusable stage

Have chatted with Samsung about this to try and find the original email or owner used. However, after giving them the imei and serial number they state that no account has been setup on this tablet. And there is nothing I can do about it.

At a loss of what to do with this brick!

2. OP
    OP
    bumography

bumography Member

Ok quick update. Just realised there's a sim card inside and I will try chatting to telstra trying to find the original owner

3. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Scumtree purchase?

4. OP
    OP
    bumography

bumography Member

Facebook marketplace. The sellers photos and all are visible so I assumed it was legit.
    I think my last option is to message someone on her friends list to try get this lock pattern off her.

5. Sunder

Sunder Member

Seems a bit premature to be calling it a scam. Maybe just an incomplete reset?

Have you tried holding down power and volume up to get to the boot loader, before the OS loads? Factory resetting from there should overcome any partial wipes.

6. OP
    OP
    bumography

bumography Member

Yes I did that. This apparently is a new feature in Android. So as soon as it connects to the internet, it'll remember the previous lock/gmail regardless of any hard resets

Sunder likes this.
  7. Sunder

Sunder Member

Bugger. Wonder if that's to kill off a 2nd hand market.... Or maybe I'm too cynical

8. OP
    OP
    bumography

bumography Member

Ok. I figured out what it was. Its called FRP. Factory reset protection. If this device is ever factory reset, then you MUST! Use a previous Android account linked to it or else it's locked. Luckily for Samsung there's a loophole/backdoor hack (long process) I chatted to Samsung who advised me not to buy second hand Samsung goods as well as telstra who say they are not allowed to look at amy info on the sim (serial numbers) unless it's authorised by the owner.
    In the end I tried to do what's right then thanks to YouTube it worked out and I can use it!
    So remember when it by your next used Android device to sign into your own account on the spot!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  9. Sunder

Sunder Member