Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah, the grip is slightly bigger and suits my hands perfectly too, and the additional silent control dial is handy, less menu diving.

Wont really be using this for sports so the AF/Buffer shouldnt be too much of an issue (a77 will be for that), its portrait + landscape basically.

Picked up for $1400 - all the other 2nd hand bodies i've seen were more around $2k, i'm sure prices will drop when/if its replacement comes though :(

2. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

I've been meaning to grab a blackmagic camera and finally bit the bullet and grabbed one. Set me back around $1200 but worth every cent I reckon. Can use it with my canon lenses and the quality is amazing! Just need to learn how to use the bloody thing.

[​IMG]

3. Infest

Infest Member

Know nothing about DSLR, but just bought a 70D and can't wait to start learning. Anyone recommend a good place to start?

4. metalrain

metalrain Member

5. sold

sold Member

6. DTG

DTG Member

Where did you pick one up for $1200? Second hand?

7. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Ordered a F-Stop Tilopa BC backpack.

Gave up waiting for the F-Stop Loka bag to come into stock with F-Stopgear.

Just ordered their 'Tilopa Bundle - Memorial Day 2015 BC'
    http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/product/tilopa-memorialday-bundle-2015.html

Basically gives you a Large Pro ICU, large rain cover, Elkhorn pouch, and a pair of small gatekeepers for US$12 more than the normal bag price. US$351.

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I really wish you hadnt just linked that.. haha!

9. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Sorry about that..... :Pirate:
    You have 3 days (or until stock runs out - the norm with F-Stop) to resist.

10. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Great price

Make sure you upgrade to the latest firmware. They are an amazing camera. If you havent done it already you need to look for external power supplys as the internal battery is fairly average. At the high end lots of people use Vlocks. I just use a Lipo 240V invertor originally bought for studio flashes if I am out and away from 240V.

Feel free to ask me any Qs

11. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Grabbed a Dell 2713H from the outlet store during the week for a great price. Was listed as "refurbished" and when it arrived yesterday the box sure as hell wasn't refurbished. Pretty bad shape. Monitor itself seemed fine though. The plastic shell wasn't put back together quite properly at the bottom, but I just fiddled with it a bit and it snapped together ok. :thumbup:

12. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

13. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Arrived from US in 4 days via DHL.

Update
    I had a missed delivery on Tuesday. Checking the Waybill number it was indeed my order from F-Stop. Ordered on 22 May, shipped same day and at my door (but I wasn't there) 4 days later on 26 May. Great service!

The Tilopa is awesome.
    If you remove the aluminium frame then the bag height drops to 50cm. It's about 33 cm wide and between 16 to 30 cm deep depending on which ICU and how full the pockets are. So it can be a very similar size to my Thinktank Airport Commuter backpack - or a bit bigger.

So you can make as small as the Loka (never in stock) but expand it more too. The laptop pocket is much more usable too.

Even without the frame it feels comfortable on my back with between 10-15kg load.

I actually like the Large Pro ICU in the bag as the ICU moves around less. But there is not much room left for non-camera gear in this configuration. Which is fine for me as its main use this year will be to haul and protect my gear whilst in East Africa on Safari.

It is not cheap but at this time I can appreciate the value in the purchase.

14. metalrain

metalrain Member

So I've been looking for quick detach solution so I can use my EtsHaim leather neck strap and just un-clip it so I can use my camera on tripod in seconds. Was originally going to get a Black Rapid CR2 and FR-T1 all up for around $50 or so. Then I just realized, why not just use a carabiner? Well a simple carabiner would have sufficed but I also wanted a secure loop to hitch my strap onto, hence this NiteIze S-Biner #2 for $3 at a Mitchell's Adventure shop. It's rated for 4.5KGs so it should be enough for a flash, fool frame body and lens.

Click to view full size!

I hope cheaping out doesn't equate to dropped and smashed gear :Paranoid:

15. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Member

A Canon 5d + 24-70 + 580ex ii flash weighs about 2.2kg, which does fit into the weight rating, but you dont have much margin at all... Thats 2.2kg just at a dead hang. A falling object exerts much more force than a hanging object.

If someone were to bump into your camera, or you were to walk briskly/run, that could easily put you over the load rating and break/bend the carabiner, 4.5kg is not much at all.

I personally would NOT trust hundreds or thousands of dollars of gear hanging of a 4.5kg rated carabiner... simply not worth the risk. You could get one rated for much greater at really not that much extra cost.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  16. metalrain

metalrain Member

Hmm good point. Did think about the extra strain from g-forces when the camera is swinging about.

You guys have any recommendations for another quick detach solution or should I just go the Black Rapid route?

17. lionman

lionman Member

You can get small carabiners that can take many hundreds of kilos for around $10. Not sure if they would be suitable though.

18. Houston

Houston Member

So you have just clipped this to the ring on the bottom of a normal tripod plate? They arent designed to carry that weight, that D ring is gonna break

19. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Check out Peak Design. More flexible IMO. Also, a biner option: http://www.dutchwaregear.com/dutch-biners-pair.html About 430KG load rating and weighs 10g. I can vouch that they hold my fat ass off the ground in a hammock.

20. metalrain

metalrain Member

Awesome. If these hammock biners can support a full human bean swaying abouts, then these should be a-ok for my camera gear. Now just need to find one with a secured loop for the camera strap.