Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Nice... What lenses?

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

2nd hand Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm F1.4 lens from the states
    Test this bad boy out this weekend i think

[​IMG]

3. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

4. metalrain

metalrain Member

Oh man that 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD looks delicious~

5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

mmm yes much want.
    Not sure if it would warrant the upgrade over the really good Nikon though - keen to hear your thoughts

6. eukaryote:)

Let's just say i'm going to sell the Nikon once I get the filter adapter kit for the Tamron (heading over from USA, taking its sweet time).

Sharper to my eye with better contrast, flare resistance is much better than the Nikon, and VC is just a godsend once you use it. Only con is it feels... not as good as the Nikon. The Nikon has a build quality that just oozes quality. The tamron feels kind of plasticky, yet has weight. It's hard to describe. With the Nikon things fit in nicely, and it feels tank like. Things fit, but they don't inspire total confidence like the Nikon did. If I had to take the lenses into somewhere wet, the Nikon would be my definite pick.

In terms of AF Nikon still wins, but not by a large margin. The Tamron AF is very quick, and doesn't hunt. Goes, bam, hits the spot. No hesitating as it gets close to readjust.

For me, the 1mm difference on the wide end is not worth the added benefit of 6mm on the long end, plus VC. I'm primarily a landscape photographer, and you can stitch stuff if it is too wide. However, for architecture the Nikon 14-24 is definitely a better lens. There is surprisingly a noticeable difference between 14mm and 15mm.

edit: and also, the Tamron is 100g heavier. However, the Nikon is front heavy, the tamron evenly balanced.
    The Nikon I have taken everywhere for landscape photography. It's a proven performer, and i've easily got around its 'negatives' like increased flaring due to the bulbous front element. The Tamron is yet to be tested in the wild. We will see if it has the Nikon reliability.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  7. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

I just ordered the same lens!

Hoping it's as amazing as everyone is saying it is!

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

It is, I'm loving it :)

[​IMG]Roshie by Jack Chauvel, on Flickr

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Nice.
    on my front VC provides no benefit (and not available) so its an interesting choice.
    Sony have a 16-35mm but yeah the extra 1mm on the wide end would be nice, and the Tamron new is cheaper than the Sony used.

tamron's newer stuff is really impressing me and all the reviews of this one indicate its a good bit of kit

10. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I'm quite happy with my Tamron 15-30mm. I sold my 14-24mm to fund the purchase and pocketed some change. I was fortunate that I could sell it for the same amount I bought it for. As stated the Tamron is bigger and heavier than the Nikon but because the front element isn't quite as big, for me the Tamron feels lighter/smaller. It's certainly fits in my bag better.

Image quality during the day is even. But night time with some lights the Tamron far exceeds the Nikon. Plus it doesn't have god awful starbursts.

Nikon (key stoning because I didn't have it level)
    [​IMG]
    Bad Flare Example
    by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

Tamron
    [​IMG]
    Flare and Ghost Test
    by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

I agree that 1mm is noticeable. I don't really use this lens often much with what I mostly photograph these days. But I have absolutely zero regrets with the purchase.

What filter kit are you getting for it?

11. eukaryote:)

Fotodiox Wonderpana freearc with a Fotodiox MC-CPL
    Also got a NISI 150mmx150mm ND3.0 MC that i'm going to retrofit onto the front

All up $750 on filters.

However, because the 15-30 is where I shoot most of the time anyway according to lightroom stats, i'm selling off my 24-70 too. So 14-24 (and that filter kit) + 24-70 + Lee filter kit selloff easily gets me the money needed to fund this purchase.
    I used to carry both lenses, but the Tamron now suits my needs so ~ 1.9kg of lenses becomes 1.1kg with the added benefit of VC so I can use it as a carry around lens (haha carry around)

12. l3ica

l3ica Member

My first post here in OCAU and I have to make it a GAS post.

my Canon 135mm f/3.5 LTM arrived and just waiting for my 135mm Leica f/4 Elmar LTM.

The leather case that came in with the Canon stinks in a bad way like somebody stored it in an exotic cabinet filled with herbs (Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme) and lots of incense and forgot about it. However, most of it are still intact just without the strap. Might get some baking soda and shoe shine for this.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  13. ncsa

ncsa Member

Impulse buy ... turns out to be a great unit and goes well with the Godox AD360 / v850
    [​IMG]2O7C7364.jpg by Neil, on Flickr

14. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Jinbei HD600....

I'm thinking about getting one to add to my DM3 kit for a 3 light setup. I have the Energon portable power pack. Looks like they use different batteries which is a pity.

15. ncsa

ncsa Member

Yes not sure what else takes these battery types - I have two for this unit, really not sure why as they last well enough - a good 400-500 full pops.

Added a cold shoe to the side to help keep the trigger more secure.

[​IMG]jinbei 2

16. jbman

jbman Member

fuji x30

I have been wanting to get something to use instead of my Canon DSLR for some time. It's not a replacement, more of a travel and moments capturing camera. I have been lazy of late and only using my phone for almost all photography.

Fuji X30

Fitted with a luckystraps wrist strap.

The case is an Ever Ready from eBay

Click to view full size!

I also bought Affinity Photo for my editing

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

[​IMG]

you'll find me hiding quietly in the bushes :lol:

18. millsy

millsy Member

Niiiice! Enjoy :D

19. l3ica

l3ica Member

Then you're not doing a good job if we find you.

20. Ospi

Ospi Member

After a couple of years out of the game (and after having sold all my gear) I got the itch again and decided to get back into the swing of things.

[​IMG]

Lens is the 150-600 Contemporary. Have a batt grip coming too. Excited!