1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Got myself an RX100 III for those times I want to be unencumbered. Seriously awesome little unit!

2. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

yep that's what I thought too :)

but for the money, it better love me long time :lol:

3. funkysmurf

funkysmurf Member

Couldn't agree more.

4. perz

perz Member

[​IMG]

Was asked to do a little film for work and I found it a little bit too fun.
    SO! I decided to nab myself a pretty nice price on the D3300 and add a Rode Videomic Go to go with it.

Not bad for $400! :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  5. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I just picked up the same camera, who doesn't need a DSLR for $300?¿

6. lithos

lithos Member

Username checks out.

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Got myself one of these while the silly price thing was happening and was intending to get a videomic go for it (no battery). Shame about the 10/20m recording limitation.

I think I want a more omnidirectional MIC for what I'm going to be using it for, though (automotive).

8. itsanobscureid

itsanobscureid Member

nice - I keep toying with the idea of upgrading the M-E but don't think I can justify it. Used or new?

9. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Used... I've also got a couple of leica lenses in the mail :Paranoid:
    (but ancient, made in canada etc)

Basically I got tired of waiting for someone to make a digital contax G with a real VF and small, sharp AF lenses. Fuji came close with the xpro1 but then they placed the sensor too close to the mount and as a result their lenses had to be big. And they forgot the hybrid infrared AF too, which I loved about the Contax G (and Fuji used ti have it in the GA645 too)

Then I got tired of waiting for someone to make something similar that at least plays well with RF lenses. Sony came close but then they put a little TV in instead of a real VF, and didnt bother with offset microlenses to accomodate RF wides. And their sensor is too close to the mount anyway, it's probably never gonna work.

Then I toyed with the idea of shooting film again, because with film cameras all the above (and more) is readily available, but I just dont have the time for it.

Soooo, that leaves me with the 4th option... Leica. Kinda of sad to pay all that money for 4th best, but what can you do, digital has screwed up everything I like about cameras. Leica seems to be the only one that cares.

Still keeping the Fuji for everything wider than 28 and longer than 50.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  10. RnR

RnR Member

A7rII + KolariVision mod should get very close if not better than Leica with M glass.

11. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Nah, nowhere near, not with true symmetrical wide (aka small) lens designs anyway.
    Plus I'd still have to put up with the little TV and Sony's idea of UI, I'd rather paper cut my ear off

12. RnR

RnR Member

13. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

thats what I mean, some of the most awesome small lenses like the 28 elmarit or the sonnar C 35 look crap

[​IMG]

14. RnR

RnR Member

You are a hard man to satisfy :weirdo:

See this post in the thread above on the 28 elmarit - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1392833/2#13289493

Scroll down a bit until they show corner focus rather than center focus or basically this image @f2.8 - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/25/1217225.jpg

Modded sensor on the left.

Don't know how the M240 would handle the 28 elmarit wide open at infinity, but the above looks pretty decent.

Anyways, its a moot point. Leica gets photographers. Sony still has to learn.

15. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

yeah, I dont know, maybe it's not as bad as i think. I guess part of the annoyance is having to dig up and study all those tests done by some amateur enthusiasts to figure out if your $4k camera with $3k lens is going to be as sharp as designed, but only after you send it f* knows where to be operated on by f* knows who after you wait for f* knows how long, so you can endure a UI you dont love, and then you can finally enjoy what you do

Sounds like a whole sub-hobby within the main hobby of photography for people who have too much free time

16. millsy

millsy Member

I actually really enjoy the engineering that goes into cameras, and I think part of the pleasure I get from taking photos is purely the feel of holding such a well thought out piece of equipment.

I want for a leica + noctilux 0.95 purely for the engineering rather than a 'this is gonna help my photography / fill a hole in my artistic soul'. I mean I'll never be able to afford one but hey a man can dream :)

17. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

A leica plus noctilux is a bit of an ergonomic disaster, it blocks a lot of the finder and makes the whole thing very front heavy
    I think this cam is at its best with smaller fast-ish normal-ish lenses, with focusing tabs

18. mrthong

mrthong Member

hahha :lol: one of the unfortunate reasons of having asian parents.

19. millsy

millsy Member

Ruining the dream man! :lol:

20. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

just trying to save you from eating 2min noodles for a year LOL