Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. dan441

dan441 Member

2. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

This might be an issue they can fix in firmware like they did with the A7RII.

I am kind of tempted to get rid of my X100s and replace it with an A6300...

3. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Won't be using the video function at all so it makes no difference to me.

Still unsure of the ergonomics but perhaps it's one of those things that will resolve itself once I start using it. Build quality seems excellent. Quality alloy and plastic make it feel expensive. Then again, I suppose it is..

4. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Ergonomics are good once you get used to it and set your custom buttons up. I find the only problem with Sony cameras is the AF point selection. Wish they put a nib selector or put a touch screen on the cameras already. How hard is it to put a touch screen on there?

5. Aus.Morgo

Aus.Morgo Member

Picked up a Canon 300mm 2.8 IS II end of last week, really like having a longer 2.8 lens again (had a 400 2.8 in the past) plus being lighter and smaller than my other big whites its not such a workout to handhold.

6. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I've yet to use it so I dunno how difficult the AF selector is going to be. I'll be primarily using the EVF as the screen on the back will be far too annoying (when shooting aviation).

Wonder how long it's going to take before 3rd party battery grips show up tho.. And where can I source a cheapish fast SD card... ie, 70mb/sec write speeds..

7. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

Ended up getting myself an XPro-2 last week... just couldn't help myself looking at the specs which appeared to fix up all the niggles which bug me every time I pick up my XP1.

I initially had buyers remorse and was tempted to return it because of the high price and knowing it will probably drop in a couple of months, but after actually using it a lot over the past week, no regrets! They really sorted out all the crap from the first version and appear to have listened to what needed changing. It's brought new life to the big slow 56mm lens which was painful at best using the XP1, but now it gets focus straight away evertime and doesn't need to hunt for 1-2 seconds before deciding where it needs to be. Haven't used the 35mm 1.4 with it yet but I'm sure that is hugely improved too.

Seriously love this camera! It gives me that rangefinder style love but now has more up-to-date technology to back it up. Now I just need to sell my xe1, xpro1 and x100 to help pay for it! :lol:

8. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

You won't get much for an X-E1.. I had a xe-1 & 18-55mm 2.8 lens and was lucky to get $400..

I dunno why fuji gear is so worthless when it comes to resale value.

9. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I think its just because the market has been flooded with them and a lot pop up when the next iteration comes out. Even though the older gear is pretty good still!

10. forbaz

forbaz Member

just took a snap of this guy yesterday that turned up just after Christmas

[​IMG]

11. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

Yeh they are good kit but... the problem is the newer ones like the XT-1, XP2 and soon the XT-2 are SO much better that it really kills the older kit value.

Nice! I had the same kit previously down to the gordy strap :)

12. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I don't think you need that fast a card, as the Sony camera can only write internally at around 45-50 mb/s. (at least My A7RII shows now diff when I put faster cards in there). The current Sandisk extreme (90mb/s read, 45 write) should be good enough.

13. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I have CF cards that write @ 150mb/sec and I find I fill up the buffer quick. So a 45mb/sec card will be horrible.. lol

14. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Spare a thought for us A7RII users who shoot uncompressed RAW at 89mb per image.

15. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

When I think sports cameras, I don't think A7RII hehe..

I never notice the write speed when I shoot single shot.. but high speed continuous.. that brings any card to it's knees..

but 89mb RAWs.. ouch.. if you had 10mb/sec cards.. yeah.. nope..

16. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

And yet I shot with it at the Australian Open in crop mode it worked really well.Smaller RAW files in crop mode helps.

17. millsy

millsy Member

I think the point is more it's not really sold as an action camera compared to say the 1DX / Dx series

18. wiztek

wiztek Member

Need to have a play with one. Really reluctant to let go of my Fuji glass (sold the 35mm, probably shouldn't have) because i can see myself getting one eventually...

19. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Sniped a Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 Biogon T* on Ebay.

It's like a miniature tank - feels very solid in hand; small but dense. Based on brief initial use, MF seems as reported - very easy and smooth. The focus really pops.

Having to toggle the aperture setting on lens will be an adjustment.

This conpletes a set-up that is quite small and lightweight but doesn't compromise optics.

Sony A7II
    Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2
    Zeiss 55mm f/1.8
    Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8

20. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

nice thats a solid walkaround/portrait set
    Loxia's focus rings are smooooth - and you get used to aperture adjustment on the lens