1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

You and me both. I really like that 24-35 just the vignetting at 24mm kills me a little. I wish I had picked one up for travel though!

2. wiztek

wiztek Member

3. metalrain

metalrain Member

For $3,052 I'd say it's safe to assume so. Plus there's always the in-body micro focus adjustment settings you can play around with.

4. richan3185

richan3185 Member

I use both the 35 and 50 on an A7R2..even at 42Mp the 35mm is sharp, and yeah they both blow me away every time. The 35mm is my choice though, 50% of shots on a recent holiday were on that lens...lots of street work.

I do think the 50mm has abit of a different style about it, but still an awesome lens.

Also considering the 24-35/2. The 24mm art appears to be the weakest of the lineup, but im more interested in having the 24-35/2 for abit more flexibility when needed. Or perhaps i just want it?

5. Xang

Xang Member

The focus is the main factor I was looking for to replace my 85/1.4G, which can be sharp be isn't as consistent in nailing focus. I've only shot the 105 for one day, but it seems incredibly accurate at this stage, noticeably better than the 85.

It's also great at near/far focusing distances, and has amazing sharpness even to the edge of the frame, whereas basically all fast primes I've used thus far fall off pretty badly away from the centre.

Everything other than the price is a winner :thumbup: (and the weight if you care about that)

I'd consider the 35 easily the weakest of the 3 primes, with the 24 and 50 on equal footing above it. I haven't shot the 24-35.

6. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I've read the 20mm is supposedly better than the 24mm. I'd almost consider giving up my ultra wide zoom (Tamron 15-30mm) for one. I think I would prefer 20mm and f1.4 than the zoom at f2.8

7. Aushiker

Aushiker Member

I have a silver Olympus OM-D EM-5ii body on the way. $690 delivered; shutter count of 434 apparently; excellent condition .... guess I will find out soon enough :)

It will be my second body and maybe travel camera. Will put the Panasonic LX100 on market to help offset the cost. Never clicked with the LX100.

8. metalrain

metalrain Member

Well if you do consider letting go of it... Haha that's probably my next purchase, maybe while I'm in Nippon :lol:

9. nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

10. rugged_stash

rugged_stash Member

Haven't posted in awhile and have had a few little purchases on the camera front I went and got a Fuji XT1, an 8mm Samyang Fisheye and the most recently purchased was a Carl Zeiss Sonar T* 135mm f2.8.

On the printing front, I have also bought the X-Rite i1pro 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot with the Sonnar wide open.

11. ncsa

ncsa Member

After a tree crushing my Dell 30" display I have decided to try one of these ...

LG 31MU97 4K Cinema display

[​IMG]

12. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Good purchase. I absolutely love mine. I'm surprised they don't have a cult following considering it's basically the top of the line Eizo at a much much lower price.

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

[​IMG]

First generation, so no stabilisation, pretty heavy so i'd say monopod only for this one.
    Took it out for a test tonight at the track and seems good but still need to get into lightroom and see how the files process.
    nice to have the extra 100mm option

Get more use on the weekend at a drift event, with the 1.4x TC

14. ncsa

ncsa Member

Yes they seem well spec'd .. it maybe the original price put ppl off.... looking forward to its arrival.

15. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Just ordered a Dell U2715H from the outlet store. Should be good for a couple of years until I have a real need for 4K.

16. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

Picked up a second hand Sony a6000 with stock 16-50mm lens, 32gb memory card, sony neck strap, external Sony charger and hand held stick for $550.

I found the deal on Gumtree and thought I would check it out as he said he was negotiable(he originally wanted $800 but bargained him down due to no viewfinder, few scratches on back LCD screen etc). The sensor and lens were immaculate (most important thing) and the shutter count was 4772. Few cosmetic scratches on the back LCD screen and the view finder was missing (bought one from eBay for $3), nothing that affects the actual picture which was great. Took a few shots and tested it out, works perfectly.

Very happy and lucky as the bloke selling it just wanted it gone as it was sitting in his draw for over a year.

I did a lot of research and ended up getting the a6000 as I thought this would be a perfect introduction for me into landscape photography.

Any tips or advice appreciated. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  17. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Yeah. I'm a bit torn between when to adopt 4k. My U2711 can't be too far off dying - used to have it under a window that was left open a few times on days that became rainy.. whoops! Now it has a pretty bad whine when it goes into standby and occasionally a weird flicker for a little bit when it wakes back up.

I'm tempted to buy the equivalent current Dell (UP2716D?) but it's heaps more expensive than my U2711 was at the time and yeah... Not sure future me will be bummed about committing to 1440p for a while.

But then gaming at 4k is an expensive undertaking too...

18. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Nice pickup - saved a few hundred bucks for sure and a nice low shutter count (can be hard to find due to people using the high FPS modes)
    Pickup some nice glass and you'll be impressed with it for landscapes.

I couldnt imagine going back to editing without 4k - that said I havent tried the really high end monitors either so my view may be a bit skewed.
    I dont really game though so thats not an issue for me.
    Very happy with the Asus MX27UQ for the price

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  19. Cpt.Obvious

Cpt.Obvious Member

Thanks mate, I was quite happy too.

What piece of glass do you recommend? I was told the 16-50mm stock kit lens is ideal for landscape.

Also, any suggestions on tripods and carry cases? I have a drone backpack that I carry all the time but it doesn't fit the camera inside so I was thinking an over the shoulder one.

Appreciate the help.

20. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

depends on how much you want to spend, the sky is the limit!
    The kit lens is ok and will get you started, shouldnt be too bad stopped down to F8-F11

The Sony 10-18mm F4 is good for native mounting if you want wide angle but its not cheap.
    Heaps of stuff can be adapted if you're happy with manual focus - which is preferred for landscapes anyway.

I use a mid-range manfrotto tripod, and an a6000 will fit into any bag really so thats personal preference