Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. SyN

SyN Member

In a way everything is better, but its nothing drastic

When I have time I will do some comparisons. Itll be interesting to see the 10MP DX-crop mode on the D750 vs the native 12MP D90. I suspect they wont be too far off, which also means the D750 is superior to the D90 apart from the extra 130grams of weight

2. SyN

SyN Member

So did some quick and nasty tests yesterday of this:
    D750 in DX mode (10.3MP) vs D90(12.3MP)
    Same 50mm f/1.4 Lens at f/5.6
    Same relative settings
    Large JPEG Fine, No NR, Standard PictureControl, No ADL
    ISO 6400 with 1/32 Flash Power
    ISO 3200 with 1/16 Flash Power
    ISO 1600 with 1/8 Flash Power
    ISO 800 with 1/4 Flash Power
    ISO 400 with 1/2 Flash Power
    ISO 200 with 1/1 Flash Power

Observations
    D750 is about 3 stops ahead in performance at high ISO - what 6 years does for sensor tech!
    D750 jpeg file size is about 20% larger (expeed4 vs expeed)
    Exposure was slightly different between the two cameras, even though settings should indicate the same
    Theres slight differences between shot to shot of the same camera. Could be factors of flash inconsistency, jpeg processing, calibration etc

Mind you, D750 could get even better output if I shot at say 75mm FX and then output to a similar 10-12MP. But obviously the lens would behave differently and have less depth of field. If I stop down the aperture to compensate, I would need to bump up the ISO which means the lens sharpness/diffraction and noise will take effect.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    nisstrust likes this.
  3. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Was walking past the Digidirect store this arvo, so I popped in and impulse-snagged the Olympus 40-150mm +TC combo, for $1313 (+ $200 Visa card). Handful of test shots later and I'm fuckin' stoked.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  4. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

I got a Wotancraft Trooper shoulder bag. Beautifully made and will easily last a lifetime, looks great and lots of storage options (modular units are great), but it's not for me so am selling. The endless search for the perfect camera bag continues...

5. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

post some samples!!

6. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Why, moist soitanly:

1.[​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    3.[​IMG]
    4.[​IMG]
    5.[​IMG]

Note: First time posting images on the new forum; there is some weird image scaling going on on my 4K monitor; not sure if it will also manifest on others; if does, save images locally to peruse.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  7. quwackers

quwackers Member

Recently picked up two Yongnuo 600EXRTII's to replace my Canon 430 EXII, just wanted to say they're f*cking fantastic and a excellent option.

Especially for any amateurs, enthusiasts or semi-professionals who want to play/have RT flashes for off camera flash.

The reason I purchased two was that the cost of the transmitter was ~$75 usd and a whole flash (which can do everything the transmitter can do, plus be a flash) was only ~$30 usd more.

:thumbup:

8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

They make some good stuff, I sold mine off when i moved to the Godox system which is even better for minimal cost.
    They have a full flash ecosystem now and also support Sony so was a no brainer

Goes to show you the profit margins on manufacturer flashes...

quwackers likes this.
  9. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Not so much bought, but I was given a couple of old Nikon lenses :) can't wait to give these a crack!

Nikkor-O 35mm f2
    Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8

10. Kennui

Kennui Member

Just bought the super cheap yongnuo 35mm f2 for nikon. Was about $109 off aliexpress and I have cashrewards so 4% back.

I was looking at (and sill looking at) other nikon FF 35mm lenses. The next lightest ones are the f2D and 1.8G ED at 200/300g.

Problem with the f2d is how expensive it is brand new and how hard it is to find second hand. Could only find one for sale with a broken filter thread (indicating some kind of impact, don't want to risk it) - and that was $290. Brand new it goes for 400-500.

I'm undecided between the more expensive options (nikon 1.8G ED, tamron and sigma art). This is so cheap I might just keep it and get a more expensive one later on.

Anyway from all the reviews i've read/seen, it's pretty acceptable.

11. funkysmurf

funkysmurf Member

Bought some lights. Not bad for the price - the colour is surprisingly consistent so far.
    [​IMG]

12. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Nice!!! I'm loving the AD200 :) I'm slowly moving over from my old Yongnuo setup

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

nice, have been thinking of getting a 2nd AD200 to run with that adapter, been really happy with the single so far but a bit more juice for overpowering the sun would be good

14. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

This post pushed me over the line and I pulled the trigger on another AD200 with the AD-B2 and then thought "screw it" and chucked in the new X Pro trigger too.

Now just need some stuff to shoot with it all (once it shows up) :tired:

15. funkysmurf

funkysmurf Member

I normally go for the cats. When they don’t cooperate, for some reason I end up shooting door knobs. Same thing when I get a new lens. Weird. But what are you gonna do when you’re stuck at home when a new toy arrives?

16. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Urge to impulse buy.... rising...

I picked up a fermentation jar & ferment weights yesterday.

[​IMG]

Home made sauerkraut tastes the best. :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  17. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I did the same this morning - but paid $200 more... Ooops.
    Wish Olympus would hurry up and announce EM5 MkIII though. MkI is getting long in the tooth.

18. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

So I am in China for New Years and I went to a large photo market and came out with these.

[​IMG]

sebbyreddan and Pbx_Jnr like this.
  19. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

bought a Camfi
    [​IMG]

My Sony's wifi isnt too bad to use, my D500 has snapbridge which im not a fan of and my D4's are a bit convoluted to setup via the ethernet port.
    Going to see how this works with shooting sports, basically piping images directly to my Ipad for review and submission to clients without extra steps.

They are working on a newer faster version which i'll grab down the track if the workflow is good

20. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

When I saw the notification that you'd posted in here Blake, I 100% thought you'd be posting that you pre-ordered the A7III LOL