Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I'm glad I forgot about that sale lol

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

P1051589.jpg

Some new toys to play with. I'm not sure on the flash. It's what the store guy handed me when I asked for a "Fisher Price My First Flash." Doesn't seem to be much online about it and I'm guessing it's probably a clone of something but quality feels okay. Now I need to learn about how to use a flash!

millsy_c likes this.
  3. Intermidne

Intermidne Member

Recently bought a Sony A6300 and 18-135 lens. Looking at getting a sigma 16mm f1.4 soon as well! Starting new in photography ^_^

thommo101 likes this.
  4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

My U2719D arrived today, so nice!

5. Athiril

Athiril Member

Considering getting the iPad Air 10.5 256gb or iPad Pro 11 256-1000gb at Telstra. (Before anyone says anything, normally prefer Android but the tablets are subpar for the same price, there are no flagship tablets, Galaxy Tab S4 comes in about half the antutu score of the iPad Air).

Any input on running Lightroom on the two? The Pro has USBC, Photoshop CC is coming for it, and the pen that clips magnetically to the top of the tablet is nice.

I figure the faster the tablet, the better for this kind of thing, and better for the long term rather than being "good enough" for only right now.

What's a good camera -> iPad Lightroom workflow?

Originally I wanted to do wifi tethering straight into Lightroom on the tablet directly, but doesn't look like that's an option without an extra device that plugs into USB, and mounts on the hotshoe, but I'll have my flash trigger on the hot shoe.

I still want to find a good way for wireless tethering.

6. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Currently the Lightroom on iOS workflow isn't ideal. Do you use Lightroom Classic CC on the desktop?

Currently getting images into Lightroom on iOS = plugging in the SD card reader and importing images into the iOS camera roll. Then you open Lightroom and import the images from the camera roll into LR. So you then end up with two copies on the device. You can manually delete the ones out of the iOS camera roll though. If you put them in an album it'll then sync them to the Adobe cloud thing and make the album available on the desktop as a collection once sync'd. You'll get your RAW files going from LR Mobile to LR Classic. If you add images to a collection on LR Classic CC and tell it to sync it it will only send smart previews to the iOS client (I think this is still true). Exporting from LR Mobile on iOS is pretty limited too.

With iOS 13 in September when it comes out you'll be able to plug the SD card reader in and import images directly into the LR app bypassing the duplication that happens when having to go through the camera roll.

I have the second gen 12.9" iPad Pro and making adjustments to my 20mp Panasonic RAW images is fast. But it's not doing it to the original RAW files so I guess it's cheating.

I mainly use it for rating now. I'll import into LR Classic on the PC and then sync the collection to LR and then flick through them on the iPad and swipe to add ratings.

Edit: I think this thread has a better explanation of the smart preview thing than I did.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

as above it depends on what you're doing, I use lightroom on an older Ipad pro 9.7 and its plenty fast enough most of the time even for raw editing (jpegs really fast)
    But its only for sideline shots and casual edits of family photos etc.

Not sure what camera you're using but most apps only allow you to transfer JPG's

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Most things support raw now. If Apple supports the camera natively any app can deal with it.

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

Well I ended up with the iPad Pro 11 inch in space grey 512gb, I guess I could have gotten the Air 3 256gb but I didnt read the replies here lol, but this is really nice, USB C, and should have enough processing power for quite some time I guess. Apparently Photoshop CC is coming too, so looking at the pencil.

So I might ge the CamFi at some point for wifi tethering, shoot to iPad, sync raw to cloud, though apparently there is software to make it work without hardware like qDSLR Dashboard?

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

check out shuttersnitch, i use it for ethernet tethering but i think i saw some wifi support in there

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

I have that same camera and lens for videography

Intermidne likes this.
  12. Intermidne

Intermidne Member

Yeah it's pretty good so far! Haven't had that much chance to mess around with it but definitely keen to get going ;)

13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Picked up a battery grip for the G9.

Couldn't resist at $150 for a legit Panasonic one. It's very well built just like the body. It's not enormous but it's a little too big for my liking. Though I think it'll help with hand held video which was why I got it.

fullsizeoutput_1f78.jpeg

14. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

So about a month ago I sold my Sony FE 85/1.8 to raise some emergency funds. I finally got around to replacing it a week ago - with the Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4

I’ve had a couple of shoots with it thus far. Some initial impressions paired with my A7II -

- Sharpness and detail is superb. Not far off the Sigma 85 Art but waaay less heavy and bulky
    - AF speed is pretty good in good light. Not as blazing fast as the Sony f/1.8 but good nonetheless
    - AF accuracy is thankfully excellent for the most part
    - AF hunts in low-light. I haven’t done an evening shoot, but in my studio area once the light levels get low, you have to be patient. Most times it gets there, eventually. To be fair, even the Sony f1.8 oftentimes has issues in low-light.

It’s good to have f/1.4 in my arsenal again as I will be doing more outdoor shoots in the coming weeks. The lens is solidly built, but not cumbersome to wield unlike the Sigma. The IQ is great. So I’m pretty happy so far.

15. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

Good to hear. I’m shooting with the Batis 85 1.8 and do find that a 1.4 would come in handy. So logical step would be the Sony G or the Samyang but not sure on render between the two.

16. MOTLking

MOTLking Member

Just ordered the Sony A6400 but already having second thoughts maybe should have got the A7 III instead! Great price though $1.2k.

thommo101 likes this.
  17. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Picked up a cheap Minolta Rokkor 45mm 1:2. Then I have an inexpensive MD-NEX adaptor on the way. Because why not hey.

nisstrust likes this.
  18. MOTLking

MOTLking Member

Ended up selling this and getting the A7III with the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 :D

Now thinking about maybe a Peak Design Strap, a camera bag and what lens to get next?
    New Tamron 17-28mm f2.8? Sony FE 35mm f1.8? Sony FE 85mm f1.8? so many choices but will probably try to pick up a wide angle to complement the 55mm first.

19. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

The new 35mm 1.8 would be a nice addition I reckon :p, a little expensive though.

You just reminded me I had a red Peak Design strap that I don't use. Maybe I should put it up.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  20. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Picked up another 45mm .. the Samyang FE 45mm f/1.8

Really excited about this lens. I had found that 55mm was a bit too long for my liking, but I never liked 35mm either ... so let's split the difference

I'm all 3rd-party now; 45 & 85 both Samyang. I'm set as far as lenses.

Next purchase will be a Godox V1, although it's hard to swallow $400 for a small flashgun.