Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

Didn't even know that existed. Looks very interesting.

2. coolroy

coolroy Member

Picked up a Sony RX10mk3 direct from Sony AU in there xmas in July deal...hundreds of $ cheaper than any retailer could sell me here in Australia.
    Sent via DHL at no cost to me & took around about a week & half to get to me.

Just started using it & very pleasantly surprised at the image quality, both for images & video (4k).
    Previously had a Canon 5dmk2 with 24-105lens so comapared to that I am very happy so far with this Bridge camera.
    It weighs a whole 500gms lighter than my previous rig.
    Having a spinal injury means I have to keep the weight of anything I carry as sensible/light as possible yet I still wanted good IQ & a decent zoom if possible...this seems to suit.

Hoping to use the camera on a trip to Japan later this year if all goes to plan.

Will update with some pics if this happens... just dont expect any pro images :o.

3. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

Caved in and bought the Sigma 35 1.2! Amazing thing.

Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Just received the PolarPro Peter McKinnon variable ND set. Took a lot of thinking, but I finally made the decision the price was worth it. I am doing more and more video work (weddings) and shooting at f22 in bright sunlight is a bit of a pain.

Also managed to pick up a Sony 24mm f1.4 second hand for a decent price. Not as low as you would expect for a second hand lens, but considering you still can't buy the damn thing new without waiting forever for stock, I am very happy with the purchase.

Just remember that is far, far cheaper than an OEM speedlight, with far more features.

5. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

Can somebody explain to me why you'd want to get a V1 over a V860?

I don't know much about the V1 besides the fact that it has a round head.

I've got 685's and 860's and will eventually own a couple AD200Pro's or an AD400Pro but I've never even considered a V1 and can't see why I would ever.

Is it if you need on-camera round head specifically?

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

AF assist that works on Sony
    Magnetic Head Accessories that slot right on that are really awesome
    Better TTL performance (on Sony at least)
    Better hotshoe mount/lock
    Extra power range which is handy for some scenarios (can go down to 1/256 on the v1)
    Different light distribution with the round head vs old style (whether or not something that you would notice/find useful).

I am sold just on the AF assist alone :)

7. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

8. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Member

Got myself the Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 about a fortnight ago...I havent had the opportunity to test it yet - let alone even mount it on my camera LOL!

Maybe tonight!

9. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Sony 200-600 F/5.6 - 6.3 arrived yesterday [​IMG]

Vladdo, millsy, funkysmurf and 3 others like this.
  10. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

After 6 months of procrastination, I finally put in an order for an ND64 clip-in filter last week:

https://shop.stcoptics.com/product/clipfilter_sonyff/

Essentially, it is a filter that clips into the body of the camera between the lens and the sensor. While I have a range of slot-in filters, I don't use them as much as I should (and I don't have an ND64 anyway) so I am hoping that this will be a tool that is small enough to keep in my camera bag for those moments I need it, and is quick enough to install for me to use on a whim. (and the fact it works on every single one of my lenses, even the one with a damaged filter thread is a bonus)

It arrived today, and appears to do the job. Parcel was from China with hand written addresses and con-note, and while I ordered the additional metal holder, the plastic one it ships in is actually sturdy enough to keep it in. (although care should be taken when opening, the filter is small and light enough to go flying if you are not careful opening it - the metal one is a much better design all round)

A quick test shows that it clips in and out of the camera pretty easily and appears to work exactly as advertised. I hope to get to use it in anger this weekend, will let you know how it goes.

Edit:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Well, used the clip-in filter today in anger, and must say I am impressed. The ability to swap between random lenses on the fly makes the task so much easier. Highly recommended.

millsy likes this.
  12. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Bought the wife a new EOS R + 24-105 f4 L kit and the non-control ring EF adapter this weekend. She doesn't take too many photos but she's a bit of a gear nerd and hasn't had a new camera since her 70D way back when and we do have a brand new baby...

It came down to being a choice between EOS R, A7 III and Panasonic S1.

S1 feels lovely and familiar to my G9 m43. Love the ergos and user interface of the S1. Bit too expensive, would need whole new lens set.

a7 iii definitely great sensor and processing. EVF is disgusting quality though. Body is tiny and felt unpleasant to hold. So many buttons in such a small space is silly. Would need to buy all new lenses as well though they are cheaper than L mount lenses so far.

EOS R is familiar UI to the wife’s previous cameras. Ergos are quite comfortable. I still prefer my G9 but EOS R is so much nicer to hold than the A7 III. RF lenses are great. Can adapt our existing lenses to it natively easy enough. Progressing firmware revisions keep improving the camera. No IBIS is a small bummer but lens stab is usually enough.

Would have preferred a focus joystick but the touch screen AF point moving is okay.

I can see why it got such a luke warm reception at launch. It really does have some redeeming features though, I think.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  13. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Some good points there holdennutta . The EOS R is definitely aimed more at existing Canon users wanting to convert to mirrorless than trying to lure users from other brands. I think it's just their typical safe approach to ensure they don't gouge their DSLR following too much. Because of this though, they will pretty much always be playing catch up to Sony, Panasonic and even Nikon now. Nikon's Z6 and Z7, as well as the new Z50 look better and better with the most recent firmware updates. They too have eye-AF and didn't hold it off for a later model camera, which I wouldn't be surprised if Canon did this.

14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yup - as someone not using the camera for work and already owning a few EF lenses it just didn't make sense to spend twice as much to go a different system. Mission accomplished for Canon there I guess!
    Quite possibly. As long as they're just close enough to not appear broken or hopeless in comparison they'll probably be able to maintain their customer base I for a while. Though with the new firmware the AF tracking and eye detection is really, really good! They just need to add a second card slot, more modern sensor (inevitable surely( and maybe IBIS... to be on the same level. Except video - I don't expect Canon will ever try as hard on the video front.

I think the Eos R does have eye AF? And latest firmware reviews seem to suggest it's A7 III levels of good

Yeah, Canon does need to sort out the EF-M mess.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  15. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

If they do then I wasn't aware sorry! :)

16. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

No worries at all - I think they do based on being able to swap the AF tracking icon between a pictogram of an eye and a pictogram of a face. I gotta admit i haven't read the manual yet :D

17. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Yeah, the EOS-R didn't have eye-AF when released, but a firmware update earlier in the year introduced a very basic form which was then improved again in the last week or so, although I am not sure getting a major feature up to the standard your competition was at 2 years ago is reason to celebrate. Although having said that, *any* eye-AF is better than no eye-AF so a manufacturer shouldn't be ignored just because their implimentation isn't as good as anothers.

At the risk of derailing this thread, my impression is that there are a lot of people in my position who bought into Sony + Canon adaptor as a stop-gap until Canon released a decent mirrorless body who now have a massively depreciated body (thanks to the A7RIV) and a realisation that EF lenses are crap compared to Mirrorless glass, resulting in the acquisition of a small collection of new lenses that will make it financially unviable to move back to Canon when they eventually release a decent mirrorless body.

18. Xang

Xang Member

Canon's mantra right there.

Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  19. mtma

mtma Member

Inb4 Canon acquires somebody like Blackmagic or RED

20. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Bought this in september, you dont know wallet pain until you start dealing with the exotic telephotos!
    [​IMG]

400mm F2.8 VR for my "dinosaur" DSLR's - will replace my 500mm F4 Sigma sport which i'll sell if anyone is interested
    Not unhappy with the old lens just more versatile for what I do.

Derfman and Vladdo like this.