1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. metalrain

metalrain Member

I have a control ring version on hold at a local store. If I can source a drop in version in the next couple of days, I'll go for that for the time being if it's no bueno.

EDIT: Scratch that. Just ordered the CPL drop filter with the adapter online. Seems to be one of the last stocks locally.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  2. metalrain

metalrain Member

Decided to replace my G1 with the G2. I was tempted by the RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, but I couldn't justify it for the price.

[​IMG]

I know I could be setting myself up for a problem if there is a future compatibility issue, but at least with this one, I can upgrade the firmware myself rather than having to send it off and lose access for two weeks like with the G1.

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yep its the way to go with sigma/tamron glass, i used to have the G1 and by all accounts the G2 is a fair bit better

4. metalrain

metalrain Member

I had to literally tell myself out loud the RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM just costs too much considering I only use my 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses very occasionally. But damn, it took a lot of will power not to spend that extra 150% of the price of the G2.

Added benefit with sticking with the EF mount lenses though is I can use these with my DSLR. So that's handy I guess.

5. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I just received a Sony A7R4. Picked it up grey market at a ridiculously good price. Also pre-ordered the A7S3. I now need to sell some cameras as I have no need for all of them. But I just don't know which ones to sell? I currently have 2 x A73's and an A6400.

Thinking I might offload one A73 now while it still has a bit of value. I love the ergonomics and better focus of the A7R4. Soon as the A74 is released I will upgrade the other A73.

6. metalrain

metalrain Member

Hmmm, what about the rumored a7C? Seems like a neat, compact FF body with the leaked specs. I know it maybe too soon to call it, but paired with those smaller f/2.8 primes, seems like would be awesome and perhaps pocketable in a jacket?

7. Hater

Hater Member

Be kind of like a slightly larger Olympus Pen-F sporting the LUMIX 14mm pancaker, interesting

8. metalrain

metalrain Member

I just got a Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI for cheap! It's been years since I've upgraded my Speedlite so this is pretty exciting for me lol

herzeg likes this.
  9. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Undertook an opportunistic upgrade, Nikon 85mm 1.8G to Tamron 85mm 1.8 VC, and it's blowing my socks off right now - the Nikon is a solid prime, but marked improvement in chromatic aberration, coma, and micro-contrast with the Tamron. At this point, calling it worthwhile.

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yep i have the 85mm and have shot a lot of others and it lags behind in some respects with sharpness and especially CA
    Still renders pretty nice though when you get it right

11. metalrain

metalrain Member

Oh joy, I'm interested in the Tammy too. f/1.4 would be neat, but the VC would be even better for those slower shutter speeds.

12. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I owned the Tamron 85mm when I shot Nikon and it's an amazing lens. Very underrated.

My A7S3 got delivered last week.

13. aokman

aokman Member

Finally got my new telescope to try and get back into astro again, came up cheap on Gumtree so couldn’t pass it up. Just fitted motorised focuser and Starsense autoalign to hopefully cut down on the faff in the beginning so I can enjoy it more. Currently trying to decide between doing a full spectrum conversion on an EOS R or getting a dedicated astro camera... would be nice to play in infrared photography!

FC780B5D-1C51-4A72-8F62-B9C65D974D69.jpeg 90B80F3D-4075-49EF-88DD-0D097389B18C.jpeg BE0DC74D-0E10-4C07-BE2D-BBA092914D15.jpeg 5CDEFFFE-3B07-4C1E-AFB4-227A0A1E9E1D.jpeg 6DE231FE-FC26-4044-8B88-71F2B255D40F.jpeg 44FAC14F-7E81-4303-ACB3-8B9234CA2EA4.jpeg

die_piggy, Pbx_Jnr and Deftone2k like this.
  14. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That's a nice bit of kit. I have always wanted to have a go just the bits you need and the rabbit hole it creates (and the fact I live 15mins from Sydney CBD) has put me off.

Slug69 likes this.
  15. aokman

aokman Member

It definitely is a rabbit hole of time and research, do I use this brand, that brand, this system, that system... then you get to the cameras... its great when it all works though :lol:

16. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

The alt-az mount type is going to limit you a bit with field rotation if you're going to try and get some real long time on DSO targets unfortunately. Probably would look into a equatorial mount before spending cash hacking into an EOS R.

Nice pickup all the same.

17. aokman

aokman Member

Its only to get me started... I was initially going to jump in with an EDGE HD11 with CGX mount but this one came up for $2200 so I grabbed it. Not going to sink significant money into it at this point with a wedge etc. Will just use it for the moon, planetary and maybe some other quick exposures. I purposely chose the other hardware so it could be moved across to the EDGEHD 11 at a later stage if I feel ready to step up :)

Not my end game by a long shot, if I stick it out and keep going ill upgrade again and reuse what I can... Another option is a defork this on a CGX first then move up later but Weill see what happens...

18. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

Picked up a new camera and wanted a wrist strap, but also wanted a full strap. I came up with this design (my niece works with leather and delivered the goods!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark Orange and die_piggy like this.
  19. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Saw a Canon 35-350mm superzoom for $300 that apparently has a faulty mylar board that Canon can't, or can't be bothered to, fix meaning it throws up errors when connected to a camera.

But thinking it's a cheap enough lens to use manual (with fixed wide open aperture) on my Sony for a project I have coming up, I snapped it up. The good news is that somewhere in the process, the issue has (likely temporarily) fixed itself, meaning I have a perfectly working superzoom. Took it for a drive this morning:

35mm, f/4.5 unedited, SOOC:
    _DSC05451.png

Here's a 100% crop from my 42Mp A7R3 - some magenta fringing and other CA, but pretty impressive considering.

_DSC05451_C.png

And here's the same scene at 350mm f/5.6, again, SOOC. I had problems focusing on the Sony, and had to resort to manual focus but that's due to the adaptor rather than the lens.

_DSC05455.png

...and the 100% crop. Pretty impressive.

_DSC05455_C.png

Initial verdict is that it is a great lens if you could only take one on a trip. But it's larger, heavier, and more expensive than a couple of fast primes so I feel it is a lens for new photographers who don't yet know what they want in a lens. And as a beginner's lens, it is more than adequate.

brayway likes this.
  20. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Finally dropped the hammer and have ordered the Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD Lens for Sony, from Georges.

I had been waiting for the Sigma however it won't be in stock until June. The Sony GM was the other contender however I prefer a cheaper and lighter option, and putting the difference toward an A7III. I'm hoping the A7IV will be announced soon so prices come down.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021