1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought something new and want to share? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ma Baker, Jan 14, 2007.

1. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Exciting! Would you mind sharing whether the packaging was adequate? I've had mixed experiences with my lenses from Amazon. Nothing damaged but I get a bit nervous that someone is just going to chuck it in a big box with some paper.

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yep 100% my anxiety too.
    I’ll have a look when I get home and report back.

3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

422360AC-102C-4F51-8D06-2A74B697803C.jpeg
    yep. Box with some paper. Lens inside the lens box was pristine though.

UnexpectedError and nisstrust like this.
  4. Xang

Xang Member

In the last few months I've ordered a Mavic 2 Pro, and an AMD 5950X from Amazon. Both were sent with absolutely appalling packaging. But, the items were fine and Amazon being Amazon, would probably be easy to arrange a replacement if they weren't. It's frustrating.

5. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Thanks for posting back. That's disappointing, you'd think they'd flag items by high value and provide appropriate packaging. Even the product box is a bit damaged. I'm sure the lens is fine though. At least canon provide decent packaging on the inside.

6. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

After seven years I've finally upgraded again, this time from a D7100 to a Z6ii. I have an adapter so I can use my old glass (don't want to leave behind my 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, and 24-70 f2.8), but I have to say I am super impressed with the Z mount 24-70 f4 S. For what's supposed to be a kit lens, it absolutely shines. I am completely onboard with mirrorless, and very glad I waited for the second generation.

These were taken with the 24-70 f4 S, and they're not even macros.

_Armstreet_012120_019.JPG
    _Armstreet_012120_021.JPG
    _Armstreet_012120_037.JPG
    _Armstreet_012120_056.JPG
    _Armstreet_012120_061.JPG

7. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Amazing, it's kind of crazy how good stuff is these days right?

I'm feeling a bit low after putting off purchasing the 24-70 (2.8) after not seeing it at any less than Amazon's original listing during the recent sales. Now all the prices remain the same or are returning to normal but no one has stock. :(

Fortigurn likes this.
  8. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

What's really crazy is that previously I would not buy anything but fast glass; I didn't have a single lens slower than f2.8. But now it seems f4 is the new f2.8, possibly because I'm now using a full frame sensor, and definitely also because the latest generation of mirrorless cameras have such fantastic light gathering. I'm astonished with how well my Z6ii can see in very average ambient lighting.

9. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

So after a few months of solid solid use I've decided to stay with Fuji. I have adjusted to the smaller X-T30 compared to previous bodies - A7II and 5DII, both gripped. It helps that the glass is very light and small. The Tokina 33/1.4 is excellent - really happy with it. On the other hand, I offloaded the 18-55 which wasn't too bad, just didn't get the pulses racing. Just ordered the Tokina 56/1.4 from DCXpert, 22% off for plus members. I also got the TTArtisan 23/1.4 from B&H. I don't often need a wide-angle so didn't want to spend much. More of an insurance policy. It's tiny, yet somewhat hefty. Seems well made.

10. millsy

millsy Member

I shouldn't have opened this threat up after a year or two, haven't been out taking photos and still crave gear :weirdo:

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Was playing around with an iPhone photo, and noticed that you can change the date/time of when you took the photo. Why would you need to change the date/time of a photo?

12. Tinian

Tinian Member

supasaiyan likes this.
  13. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Daylight savings... :)

Having said that, it's useful for cataloguing purposes, if by any chance your camera date/time is not accurate; I've made use of third party s/w on Windoze for that purpose before.

14. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

No idea where to put this… but

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/708508

Deftone2k and clonex like this.
  15. millsy

millsy Member

Picked up a very well used 24-70 F/2.8 Nikon (non VR) lens second hand for a recent trip. Enjoyed using it immensely, the focus speed really made life much nicer!

herzeg likes this.
  16. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Amber Heard could answer that for you probably :)

mrbean_phillip, Pbx_Jnr and Deftone2k like this.
  17. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

After losing all our gear last year we finally bit the bullet and got new general purpose kit. We are Canon fans and prefer to travel as light as possible when on longish overseas trips, which is what we are doing next weekend. Now to play with full frame mirrorless goodness. Loving the picture quality already!
    Note we are 80% of the time point and shoot people. The other 20% of the time we play with settings and setup for nightskies / astro / longer exposures etc. Hoping to learn and become more knowledgeable on the technical aspects of owning such a wee beast.
    upload_2022-7-10_18-24-54.jpeg

Attached Files:

metalrain and die_piggy like this.
  18. metalrain

metalrain Member

Make sure you fully update the EOS-R. You'll get a much improved performance overall

Major Neb and Deftone2k like this.
  19. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Hard to beat that new gear feeling :) Enjoy!

Major Neb likes this.
  20. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

What software should I look at to put on the travel laptop if I want to explore some rudimentary post processing? Dont want to spend a fortune just yet until I know a little more about what I'm doing.

Is it just the firmware that needs to be updated? Looks like the current (AU) version is up to date on the camera - 1.8.0 although that release was in June 2021.