1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought this pc, has a smell

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by lonewolf77, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I’d just throw the entire pc into the dishwasher.

neK likes this.
  2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Try put lots of silica desiccant bags you find in food packagings inside. They absorb moisture and odour.

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

They only work to a certain extent. Have tried so I would know.

4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...ive just totally dismantled an old pc. pretty disgusting grotty dust buildup. ...it gets under the motherboard aswell. the slimy brown residue from smokers (but in my case i guess there was just some grime buildup from...basically human oils..or some such)

anyway. its a bit of fun to take pc's apart. you can clean it (again i use a small soft art brush with some meths for the grotty stuff. and dry for the dusty parts) once youve got the case all free of parts you can give it all a good clean with your nice smelling windex or other of choice.

for leccy parts either dry brush or meths. and easiest to get rid of the bulk of the dust with a leaf blower first....do it outside.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Just throw the mobo into bucket of warm soapy water.

6. voltare1

voltare1 Member

take the bios battery out first.
    then leave it in your car for an afternoon, it'll be good as then
    one thing worse than ciggie stick, is mouse - had an infestation a year or so back, my amplifier i listen to weekend tunes on still stinks when its fired up.

7. warcraft

warcraft Member

yea the price is ok

8. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Pull the PC down to component level:
    Motherboard (leave RAM, CPU and heatsink attached)
    Video Card
    PSU
    Bare case
    etc

1x spray can of Contact Cleaner, can get it from Bunnings
    1x roughly 30mm wide paint brush, also Bunnings

Spray everything down and give it a gentle scrub with the paint brush. No such thing as using too much Contact Cleaner, its safe for electronics. Bathe all your stuff in it if you have to.

Given we are in the Summer months, leave it all out to dry in the sun for a few minutes to bake dry, no need for the oven, hair dryer or heat gun, sun is plenty powerful enough.

Should get rid of any tar build up, and hard to move dust too.

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Just throw them in the dishwasher and they're as good as new and ready to be reused

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Thats covered. Glad we think alike.

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've had it mentioned to me by a buyer of a HTPC I sold that the machine stank of smoke. Weird, because it was the lounge room machine, where nobody had ever smoked. I actually put it down to me smoking while I packed the PC for shipping. Being a smoker, I don't even smell it. That first time, I was so embarrassed, I had no idea.. no sense of smell..

Last machine I sold, I was stripping and replacing the hoses anyway, old ones had faded a bit, so I gave everything a once over with metho while I had all the hoses out of the way, to prevent any smell for the buyer.

As for tar buildup, I've never noticed any in computers. I have to clean the ceilings in our main living area, where the two main computers are, once a year, and the blinds are stained with it. No doubt for non smokers the joint reeks. 3 heavy smokers in my place, but never noticed any residue of any kind in the computers. Hot air rises, I'm told..

I'm convinced that smoke smells in my machines only happen if I smoke while working on them. I shouldn't, but I sometimes forget, particularly for the small jobs. I think I have had one other person comment on smoke smells, so I'm ultra careful to make sure things are clean now before shipping. FWIW, I'm also told by non smokers that when removed from the smokey environment, provided there is no tar buildup or such, that the smell dissipates pretty quickly with clean air flowing over it.

Parts stored loose in boxes in my shed should have that stoner smell I would assume ;) , lots of smoke in a small closed environment... but knowing that, I clean anything from the shed particularly well if I'm selling it. Never had any comments in that regard.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Dass Booty likes this.
  12. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Wipe insides of case with white vinegar. Should negate most of the smell.

13. TheOneWhoIsMany

TheOneWhoIsMany Member

Getting second hand stuff from smokers for non-smokers is the worst it is literally my biggest pet hate. I once had someone send an old Apple TV back to me because they couldn't get it working, they must have been a smoker because it smelt foul. Even though it worked fine I just couldn't' get the smoke smell out and ended up chucking it out.

when I was looking to buy a house last year there were ones I walked out of because they smelt so bad because of smokers.

When I sell old stuff now I specifically put in my listing that i'm an non-smoker.

Dass Booty likes this.
  14. alch

alch Member

Take it to the doctor and get it an xray. Might have mobo cancer.

15. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

A homeopathic spray might help in that case.