Bourbon

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by spazza, Jul 27, 2005.

1. spazza

spazza Member

I love Wild Turkey. Just went to Cellarbrations in Sydney and it's on special for like $32. Cheaper than Jim Beam White. Just thought I'd share. :thumbup:

2. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Wild Turkey? pfft spend some more and get the best, Bookers!! smoothest bourbon you'll taste and my mate can get it for $75 usually retails above $100. Comes waxed sealed and corked ( how many bourbons do you know that are corked ) and packaged in a box has been known to come in a wooden crate though.

Oh I forgot to mention it's 126.8% proof 63.4% percent alcohol :thumbup:

3. thormania

thormania Member

I quite enjoy cougar for cheaper bourbon much nicer than jim beam etc in my experience. It just doesn't get sickly sweet 3 quarters of the way through the bottle.

4. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Have a bottle of bookers i received in 2000 as a gift sitting on the shelf. Can't wait... Went through the little sample bottle that came with it very quickly.

Try Gentleman Jack - about $50 a bottle, tennessee whisky, and amazingly smooth... There's also some nice small batch and special edition Jack Daniels available - the wonders of going overseas, and shopping duty free!

5. Cheatz

Cheatz Member

What's this? 126.8% proof?

Hmm i definitely going to have to try it though. Not really a fan of wild turkey but i like my beam.

6. depressed_ADz

depressed_ADz (Banned or Deleted)

7. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  8. depressed_ADz

depressed_ADz (Banned or Deleted)

Am not, I just don't get 'that into' my alcohol and I like the taste of jim beam.

If I could afford a better drop, I would

edit: plus it wasn't until my 20's that I found out my father is a Jim Beam drinker as well. I blame my genes!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
  9. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Well for anyone who doesn't like a rough tasting bourbon the you ought to try bookers, it goes down incredibly well with coke or dry ( dry being a favourite ) and my god doesn't it burn straight :lol:

Oh and for anyone who wants more information on it, It is Booker Noes ( grandson of Jim Beam ) own recipe uncut straight from the barrel and ages 8 years. It was originally for his own friends but then he made it available to sell. Most of the time you'll have to order a bottle as you won't see it stocked that much.

10. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Gentlemen Jack is much smoother (IMHO), and cheaper. Not as deadly though :)

Carl - No, only kidding. I used to drink Beam only too myself (though, my old man is a bundy drinker), but i try and stretch for the black label if i can, but at the price of 6-pack or 12-packs of Beam, it's often too cheap to pass up.

11. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Dw should of read up lol. Might try to hunt it down for this weekend.

12. benny_burny

benny_burny (Banned or Deleted)

I can't stand Jim Beam. Love Wild Turkey, had a bit of an infatuation with JD once Dimebag died.

13. Leopard

Leopard Member

jim beam gold
    jack daniels
    makers mark
    wild turkey

Nothing cheaper than JD. Currently my fave easy going drop.

After reading my post, I was aondering how much I drink of this stuff.

So, I used a nip pourer and found that a double nip is a little less than I normally have in my south park glass with coke. I am getting about 10 drinks out of a 700 JD. Is that worrying?

14. Mr_Target

Mr_Target Member

I'll have to try this bookers bourbon, but wild turkey 8 year old and rare breed is me drink of late.. it just goes down, nice and smooth..

15. stevenx

stevenx Member

It's normally around eighty five bucks. It's also not the sort of stuff I'd want near any mixer - it's too good for that :) I haven't bought any for a while, I'm tasting my way through Islay (Scotland!) at the moment.

When it comes to bourbon I prefer Maker's Mark as a "cheap" bourbon and Woodford Reserve at around seventy bucks.

16. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Well my mate can go through 2 bottles of jimmy and still be alright so we decided to make it a regular thing having a bottle of bookers to get pissed, so we mix it and chug it down instead of sipping it enjoying the taste.

17. Ted.Danson

Ted.Danson Member

I'm a Wild Turkey fanboi too. :)
    It's great value, and smooth taste wet my buds just thinking about it...*hits the bottle*

18. Rass

Rass Member

Bookers is produced by the same people who create Jim Beam. Bookers is my favourite drop at the moment, and I have introduced several friends to it.

Very nice.

19. OP
    OP
    spazza

spazza Member

Mate mate mate, you come on here preaching about Bookers and you're mixing it?!?!?! Sacrilege!! lol

But seriously, I actually have half a bottle of Bookers sitting on the shelf. Sensational stuff. I actually find Rare Breed a bit smoother, but both are great. Picked them both up duty free on Christmas Island for $45 each. Tastes even better that way. I'll be getting some more duty free on my trip to NZ in a month.
    Wild Turkey is still the best for the cheaper boubons IMO, or Makers Mark if you want to spend a bit more.

edit: I think I'm turning alco. It's just so much fun. *sip*........*hic*

20. shimmeh

shimmeh Member

I picked up a 700ml of JB Black from woolies liquor recently. Im not really into black but it was cheaper than white :D.