Boxee Box for pre-order, $199US

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by TrennaHowar, Sep 15, 2010.

1. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

Boxee Blog
    • Intel Atom platform (Sodaville, 1.2Ghz).
    • Will play up to 90Mb/s bitrates.
    • new boxee version coming before release date
    • released sometime in november for Australia (same as US).
    • D link working on local content partners
      [*} estimate ship date of 15th November in Aust.

I'm really excited about this. Will be getting it for sure.
    Boxee website
    Price: $300AU

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Really keen on giving this box a try. Any word of a local distributor? I'm guessing Dlink Australia.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  3. jezza323

jezza323 Member

looks alright

doesnt have built in hdd though?

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

No hard drive built in, its more of a streamer. It does have the option of connecting one via the USB port if required.

5. jezza323

jezza323 Member

actually looks really good

might chuck the software on my HTPC and check it out :) combined with a decent NAS it could be what im after

6. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

I just got an email this morning
    I'm going to take that as a no :(
    Nope no built in hard drive. Personally this isn't an issue for me as I have a NAS that does all the work for me. Never really seen the point of internal storage for these devices. It does have internal flash though that is used to store boxee.

I'm hoping it will become really easy to put XBMC on it. That way if boxee annoys me for whatever reason I can use the old faithful rock solid XBMC. :)

The software is getting better. Granted it isn't up to the same level as XBMC, but the way that it can pull social media like what people put up on facebook and what not is really kool. I also find that the scrappers in boxee are top notch. Yeah download it, give it a go and let us know what you think :)

7. kbekus

kbekus Member

yeah if it can be reflashed to XBMC I'll go one. I wonder what cold boot time is like. Given it's a port from XBMC, anyone know what the base OS is?

8. KappA

KappA Member

I think the online content that Dlink Australia can partner up with will be the make or break for this box.

I use boxee software on my htpc and its works well for my mkvs/iso's etc, and the scrapper is solid.

But the way to set it apart from the other streamers will be the online content.

9. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

That is a really good question. The CES video of it was pretty damn quick, however that was when it was running Tegra 2. Haven't been able to find any vids of it running with the Atom thus far.
    It is a Linux distro underneath. No idea which stream. A vast amount of Boxee code is XBMC so will be interesting if it is easy to run XBMC. I remember awhile go that the boxee guys were keen to run XBMC on the box, which would be really awesome :)

Totally agree. Hopefully integration with SBS and ABC, that would be top notch. Just streaming TV would be cool. ooh i don't want to even think about the possbility of the boss watching home and away on demand haha. I think I would move countries (maybe behind the great firewall.. as they would HAVE to block it haha). Anyway thats off topic.
    Will be interesting to see what Dlink can do.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  10. kbekus

kbekus Member

yeah integration with currrent TV provider 'on-demand' or 'catchup' sites would be awesome.

11. Danske

Danske Member

Very keen to get this, sick of having my PC connected to my tv for viewing purposes.

12. dave-

dave- Member

Hmm so if it runs a fork of XMBC and linux already, how long before the $199US boxee can be used as a cheap 1080P MythTV frontend? :D

13. kbekus

kbekus Member

that's the big question - I believe though (from reading between the lines) that D-Link engineers have worked on the version of Boxee to run direct on the firmware of the device, so I wonder how cut down the kernel is to support this... it might take a serious 'port' or trimming of features to make XBMC work, especially with no local storage.

14. RonDMC

RonDMC Member

Does it bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA?

15. dukkie

dukkie Member

yes yes it does :D

16. RonDMC

RonDMC Member

Linkage???

17. KappA

KappA Member

18. RonDMC

RonDMC Member

Thanks for the link, had a read through and sounds like a nice product, especially for the money. Shame we Aussies don't get access to Pandora, Hulu, Netflix etc

Could be a good unit for us HTPC owners who want something hooked up to a 2nd TV but I would never replace my HTPC as I like the flexability of being able to do what I want but for people who don't want to fool around with Codecs and getting things to work this would be great.

All the current media streamers have awful interfaces and this looks leaps and bounds ahead of whats currently available but how does the boxee interface compare to say Windows 7 MCE with Media Browser or XBMC?

19. kbekus

kbekus Member

XBMC has a fantastic interface - however Boxee is a free download for Windows - go grab it and give it a try, see if it's to your taste.

20. aokman

aokman Member

oooo im liking this unit, hopefully it really delivers and i might get one to replace my useless c-200 pch :)