Boxee Box for pre-order, $199US

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by TrennaHowar, Sep 15, 2010.

1. disfunctional

disfunctional (Banned or Deleted)

Strongvpn seems to be good (I haven't tried it myself, my boxee box won't arrive in-store for pick-up until Friday :( )

2. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

It's something i think they have to do, as each time you check your movies and the covers download/load it's quite painful from the video's i've seen.

3. kbekus

kbekus Member

yeah, not an optimal solution. I'm still hoping (since I've used XBMC on a couple of XBoxs for a few years) that XBMC and it's derivatives (i.e. Boxee) will finish development of a server version which can store metadata, coverart, watched/unwatched status etc on a per user basis and on a local server - considering a lot of people store the video files on a NAS it's just another function for the NAS to supply. Then they can keep the client device as light and simple as possible.

4. anthony256

anthony256 Member

I'm disappointed with this now, looking at reviews they really raped it.

I guess I'll stick with my popcorn hour - I just want a better UI... XBMC style, etc :(

5. FFC

FFC Member

6. anthony256

anthony256 Member

7. FFC

FFC Member

www.b-rad.cc
    http://forum.wdlxtv.com

Are good places to start reading.

Only issues I am seeing at the moment is Beta Firmware from WD has not been hacked to allow proper playback of .mkv files (maybe it's another format, too much reading for one day). Some recent scene releases are unplayable and brick the WD TV Live until you reset it.

You can plug a USB hdd (two, infact) into the WD TV Live and access them from your PC which means you don't have to unplug/plug in every so often, or just stream from your PC/NAS.

There is a huge community for hacking them.

8. yanman

yanman Member

Any issues playing MKV would be a deal breaker for me though :/

9. FFC

FFC Member

If you get the WD Beta firmware it has been fixed - but until this Beta Firmware becomes a normal release I don't believe there will be a release of hacked firmware which means you can't customise how the GUI looks and add in things like a torrent client, FTP etc.

10. JesterX

JesterX Member

There are a few negatives that i have with the interface, but overall it beats the crap out of what i was using before (Xbox 360 with PS3 media server). I've never used Boxee before, just XBMC from 4 years ago on my XB1, so I don't have as many gripes as people who have been using it on PC.

I've had no issues playing anything, even 1080p mkvs contained in a rar. The remote is pretty good, having a qwerty keyboard to type is awesome. The way the 'back' button on the front behaves seems to change depending on where in the interface you are, but for the most part you know what the button will do.

The youtube app automatically plays the highest res available for the movie, which is great. I don't think theres anyway to get rid of the youtube player controls, which is a bit annoying but it takes up such a small part of the screen, it's not that much of an issue. They've also scaled the youtube text ads similarly, so they're really small on the bottom of the video, not like computer youtube where it takes up half the video. The boxee browser app is also pretty good, supporting flash. I can listen to soundcloud sets and watch embedded video on pretty much any site.

I tried adding the iView feeds to the RSS feed app, and it does work but theres an issue where you can't actually see the video even though you can hear it's audio, just the iView 'launching' pane (ala http://forums.plexapp.com/uploads/monthly_05_2009/post-662-1243775756.png). Hoping DLink australia work with ABC to get a boxee app soon.

But Avner the Boxee CEO has posted on the forums with the top list of gripes people had with the interface saying 'here is what we are going to do to fix it, fixes will be rolling out starting next week, UI fixes will be out in a month', which is pretty awesome in my books. Plus for $240 AUD delivered via Amazon, much cheaper than any HTPC solution. The power adapter you get with the boxee takes 100-240V, so all you need is one of those travel plug converters to go from US -> AU and you're set! I love it, i'd never dream of returning it. If you're used to the old boxee, you would probably want to wait but coming from the world of shitty console media interfaces, this thing is light years ahead.

11. VelFog

VelFog Member

Would it support live sports streaming like NBA league pass and fox sports EPL on demand?

12. FFC

FFC Member

Okay, it's no longer beta firmware from what I can tell.

Bought one last night ($157 from Officeworks, if you're lucky they might still have the old sticker prices up like they did with mine, had to go and get the sticker and show him the price was $157 - it's since moved to $200+).

Played everything I threw at it last night.

WD TV Live > Boxee

13. LANDog

LANDog Member

Do you mind if I ask a couple of Q's

Guys is amazon now shipping to aus?

Can I get live streaming / delayed playback of golf (PGA) does anyone know

Can I get ive streaming / delayed playback of rugby union does anyone know

Have they (boxee) addressed the VPN disconnect issues?

14. Pharcyde_84

Pharcyde_84 Member

Wait a minute, you can install different firmware onto the WDTV Live to make it look nicer? (IE: Box art / descriptions etc?).

Cos that's really the only reason I wanted to get rid of my WDTV and get a Boxee, I just want it to look a bit more slick and don't posess the know-how to build a HTPC.

15. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Yup sure can: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wdtv+custom+firmware&aq=f

16. Pharcyde_84

Pharcyde_84 Member

Awesome, I assume that's some sort of tutorial video (I can't watch it at work sadly)? Does it affect the playback / performance at all? Do you require a huge amount of technical knowledge to make it look slick, or is there some sort of out-of-the-box GUI option?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I assume it's all answered in the youtube. I'm just excited and want to do this as soon as I get home and dont' wanna get my hopes up hahaha.

Edit: Oh, also, do you need an active internet connection for things like box art / descriptions to show up?

17. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Always ahve been, just some electronics, like the boxee, aren't for export. That is to say a mail forwarder won't care.

Your other questions are perfect examples of ones to be directed to the Boxee forums though.

18. FFC

FFC Member

http://www.wdtvforum.com

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/

19. JesterX

JesterX Member

I ordered mine through Amazon, they do ship the boxee to Aus.

20. gumbi

gumbi Member

Interesting one.

It would be great if it played free to air as well. I would like to have a fully integrated system that I can use to switch easily from free to air to media without changing remote etc.

I would like to be able to use my ipod as a remote too, so I can browse content etc there.