1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Boxee Box for pre-order, $199US

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by TrennaHowar, Sep 15, 2010.

1. OPM881

OPM881 Member

While that is great for XBMC, last time I installed boxee it didnt use pre-scraped data. They actually differ with the metadata standards, because when I went to re-install boxee I had XBMC installed and everything scraped. I wanted to use the XBMC metadata for boxee and was told that boxee changed the way it structures its metadata so it would not work.

In regards to having to re-scrape, as has been said boxee is more focused on online content than offline. Also, it isnt meant to be turned off, just put into standby.

In regards to hulu, there is a VPN app for boxee and yes, VPNs should work with hulu, they did in the past and they should still do it.

2. juicejuice

juicejuice Member

just got my boxee box a couple of days ago. very cool. TV as we know it is dead :)

what is the best VPN site to subscribe to? i wants my precious US content..

3. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

For anyone interested there has been some big bug fixes
    Personally i'm thrilled that they are rolling out the fixes this quick. Also great to see them focus a bit more on local content as I know for me that is the number one thing I will be using it for. Now just gotta save some $$ so I can get one :)

4. lawlz

lawlz Member

has there been any further improvements made in terms of local content? Also have there been any more firmware upgrades?

5. juicejuice

juicejuice Member

I'm not sure what you mean by local content. Do you mean Australian streaming content from web sites? Or files physically located within your house eg. on a NAS or USB hard disk?

For Australian content, it is still very thin on the ground as obviously US is their big market with Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc. However the next release (due this month) will bring a much improved browser that will probably allow our Australian catchup TV web sites to work more smoothly.

For local content, the 1.0.2 release on Dec 13 did bring some small improvements. Its still not perfect but a bit better. Definitely usable. The pending release will bring some important bug fixes for local content files, and perhaps a few small tweaks.

I'm still pretty happy with my Boxee Box, and have started developing my own app for local music playback :)

BTW, did you spot that Iomega announced their own version of a Boxee?

6. lawlz

lawlz Member

sorry, yeah i meant for local content. Thanks for the reply seems like itll only get better over the comming months!

7. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

They are starting to focus on local content more. There have been a fair few firmware updates.

What is the best price people have found. I'm going to get one... just want to hopefully get it under $300 :p

8. yanman

yanman Member

I was trying to weigh up a Boxee Box vs a WDTV live with WDXLTV firmware (now $98 at officeworks). However now that I can get XBMC on the AppleTV2 it gets even harder.. :|

Excluding streaming services, what are the main differences now to these 3 options? What I know of (please correct):
    - XBMC on ATV2 will only output @ 720p although it will play 1080p content
    - Boxee Box more than twice the price of the other 2

9. juicejuice

juicejuice Member

Yeah once XBMC is mature on Apple TV 2 that is almost a no-brainer if what you mostly watch is downloaded content. The 720p restriction is a bit of a bummer, if they fix that then for $129 you can hardly go wrong.

Perhaps the new partnership between XBMC and Sigma will breed even more interesting options, although I'm sure we're at least a year out from any real products.

In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with Boxee Box. They are having some teething issues with the early firmwares but it's good having a box that just does it all. If you want to setup a VPN and get on the Hulu/Vudu/Netflix bandwagon then Boxee is definitely a solid option. It's certainly more convenient than my old-laptop-running-XBMC on the upstairs TV. Now I got the Rii keyboard it's almost perfect :)

10. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Wait until April for the new AppleTV that'll do 1080P fine with the new CPu to arrive, then wait for a jailbreak and XBMC. That'd be my though process right about now.

11. juicejuice

juicejuice Member

Now that would be exciting!!

12. AdrianL

AdrianL Member

Even better are these little keyboards from Kaiser Baas. If anyone here wants one you can place an order and put in the comments "Free Shipping - Adrian Boxee Thread". We'll update your order before processing payment and change shipping to 0.

+1 for waiting for new apple and jailbreak. I'm not in a rush for a media player at the moment and think this will be the best option.

13. yanman

yanman Member

no trackpad tho... ?

14. jezza323

jezza323 Member

this will be a win for me too

15. AdrianL

AdrianL Member

On the top right it has a little thumb mouse thingy very similar in set up to the thinkpad style track. Just push it around... its pretty good and fairly easy to use.

16. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Hi guys. I'm in the processing of reading through this thread, but I'm only on page 5 right now so I figure I'll ask a couple of questions just in case they aren't answered already:

1. I just want to make sure that on the Boxee Box software, you can sort TV Shows by recently added, and that works OK?

2. The watched/unwatched situation. Does this work fine also (I believe it greys out episodes you've watched)? So if you're working your way through a TV Season, does it auto mark episodes as watched as you go?

3. Have they fixed the issue yet where you're browsing your huge list of movies (or whatever), and you go in one to watch or edit it (whatever), then when you return to the list it sticks you back at the top rather than where you were?

4. Have they implemented local caching of thumbnails yet, so you don't lose them on power off each time?

5. Is there a way to use cover art stored locally (on your network share or wherever)?

6. How I'll mostly be using it is "acquiring" my TV shows daily, and I'm hoping that as soon (or very soon after) the file appears in my monitored folder, that episode will be available for viewing on Boxee. In your experience does that work OK, or is there a delay (I'll obviously have it set to the "Monitored" option)? If it's slow, is there a 'force scan' option?

7. Is there a way to 'exclude' folders within folders for scanning? For example, I have a huge movie folder, but within that folder is another that I'm using for testing CouchPotato, so I don't really want anything within that folder to be scanned.

8. Lastly, how are you finding it? I have a C200 at the moment, which does me fine, but I just feel like a change/nicer interface/better handing of recently added and marked as watched.

I'll be using it 90% as a local content streamer. Not so much the online stuff.

Thanks!

17. PooJou

PooJou Member

Yes.

I always wondered why some eps were greyed out, and this would explain it. So yes :)

Will check this in a second

I don't believe so, but it's not that big a deal tbh... I normally turn it on first, and by the TV etc is ready and I'm sitting down, it's done it already.

No, not that I know of (But why would you want to? It's automatic...)

Yes. And yes there is a force scan option. TBH I just dump directly to the 2TB drive I have attached to the boxee via USB.

I don't think so.

If you're a 'power user' and want to mess with it, you might be better off getting a WDLiveTV! and messing with the firmware, or one of the myriad other streamers with 'custom firmware' abilities. The boxee really is aimed at people like me who do *not* care that much about 'customisability' and are after an out of the box experience that doesn't require 'work' to make work. (like the auto-scraping off IMDB is nothing but short of miraculous, I'm easily impressed...)

18. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

To answer the questions that weren't answered by PooJou:
    Yep it spits you back out to where you were in the list. I.e if you N for Nanny (lol i've been watching The Nanny) then it puts you there).
    Nope not yet. Saying that i think it takes a full power reset i.e uplugging it to lose the thumbnails.
    I believe this is coming in a firmware update soon :)
    I'm the same, 90% local content. The sound espcially (coming from an xbox1 with XBMC) is amazing. The UI is really good, in terms of local content i don't think it is quite as good as XBMC but it is getting there. Having TED and youtube and other things is awesome. But yeah i would recommend it. They are pumping out firmware updates so it will only get better and better :)

19. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Ok great, thanks guys :)

20. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Which VPN provider is this? Pretty interested in doing that :)