1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Boxee Box for pre-order, $199US

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by TrennaHowar, Sep 15, 2010.

1. OPM881

OPM881 Member

Strong VPN using their 4 cities pack, its like $49? a year. Works great for netflix too, just got my subscription :)

2. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Sweet. iPlayer is free to access right (assuming it thinks you're in the UK)?

EDIT: I assume you mean this package for $55 - http://strongvpn.com/packages_special.shtml ?

3. OPM881

OPM881 Member

Yea, the $55 one. And yes it is. Just letting you know though, it only lets you be connected to one server at a time(eg you cant use the same VPN for the BBC and for Hulu at the same time), you need to swap servers to the appropriate country, only 4? swaps are included per month, but seeing as I don't watch much off BBC anymore it works fine for me.

4. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Cool, thanks. Unfortunately I'll be buying a Fritz!box shortly, which only supports IPSEC (not PPTP), so the VPN wouldn't work anyway :(

5. OPM881

OPM881 Member

Fritz!box? Never heard of it, whats it running/capable of?

--edit--
    After looking it up, I see its a modem. You dont set the VPN in the modem, you set it on the boxee box itself, so I would presume you would still be able to use it. If you set it up on the modem it would route every single piece of outgoing/ingoing packets from ANY computer in the house through it, meaning content within australia would be very slow.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  6. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  7. OPM881

OPM881 Member

8. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Correct, sorry, probably should have been clearer. It does include basic NAS functionality though.

9. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

So i got my boxee box on the weekend. Overall i'm very impressed. It is still a work in progress and isn't 100% there but it plays absolutely anything you throw at it. The problems i'm facing atm is correct scraping of info. saying that i was very surprised how well it did at getting my shows correct. It will also play any file that I throw at it. 1080p inception @ 40mbps does it easy. The box is tinnnyyy.

An awesome upgrade from xbox 1 running xbmc that i was running :) I would recommend it to people who want to tinker, i don't think it is all the way there but the updates are coming in fast so i think it is only a matter of time that everything is smooth as butter. Also the TED app is great :)

10. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

ah dear... my boxee is dead :( well the power supply is anyway...

appears to be a known issue with the first 1500 australian units...

i called dlink support and told her "i've got a boxee box and it appears to have a dead power supply" and the reply from the very friendly young'ish sounding lady "oh my god not another one" lol

oh well... at least they know about the issue... also it appears i got the 11th one made (for aus anyway)... kinda cool but i wish they'd done a better job on the power packs!

11. Danske

Danske Member

Damn that sux :(

Hopefully they repair it and send it back as opposed to giving you a new one, coz 11th in AUS is kinda cool (in a relic type way :)).

12. juicejuice

juicejuice Member

Yes, the power supply issue is well known. Mine has been good so far *touches wood-based objects*.

I have been getting the "black screen" issue though, which is really annoying. Basically when you turn the Boxee on you see the initial grey "loading" screen and then.. nothing..

I managed to work around it by plugging a PC monitor in via a DVI/HDMI cable and that will get the Boxee to boot, and then you can switch back to the TV. I still haven't figured exactly what magic causes the TV to work normally with the Boxee after that but you can get it going by changing inputs and cable and so on until everything is happy once more.

That has happened to me 4 times now though, since the 1.03 firmware release...

13. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

only have to send back the power adapter

i tested the unit with a universal notebook power brick and it fired up no problems... so i get to keep my #11 unit :)

14. Danske

Danske Member

Ohh yeah forgot they take lappy chargers :).

winrar.

15. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

16. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I noticed that recently. I guess the 3 month lock for only retailers have ended and the price can actually match the market now. (I'll only consider one, once it goes below $200, as per the US price)

17. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

I guess i can say the same. As i don't really need the unit, i'm in no hurry to spend any money on one just yet. And considering our Australian dollar..i'll wait :)

18. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Exactly my thought process. Given it's current evolving firmwares, I think I'll just play it safe and wait to see how it matures. I was in the market for one a month ago, but at the time, it wasn't ready for my intended uses, so a dedicated htpc was thrown together and that works for me fine.

19. Chunks

Chunks Member

I just picked one up for $189 from D-Comp :wired:

I was so sure it was a mistake.

20. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

nice buy... 1.1 update is dropping very very soon... lots of improvements