Boxee Box for pre-order, $199US

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by TrennaHowar, Sep 15, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

You should consider a NAS if you don't have one already. I don't really care for that feature but I hope you can do it to make you happy :). streaming over the LAN ftw :)

2. jezza323

jezza323 Member

thats the goal, but in the meantime ive got this... also dont have ethernet atm (hate cables running across floors n such), so i wouldnt be able to stream HD content over my wifi :)

3. Danske

Danske Member

Get a 802.11N supported router and you're set bro.

4. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

oh that is a really good point. Your right wires do suck, but then thats why rugs were invented haha :p. I like CAT6, goes alright :) What about over 802.11N, that should handle some HD stuff.

What kind of back ends are other people using and going to use for boxee?
    Personally i'm running an old sonata case with a couple of 1.5TB drives in it. been running Freenas for yrs now. It is a fantastic little piece of tech. The flexibility of it, combined with software like transmission, the fact that it is headless is just what I need. In the future looking to move to open media vault, and will then go to a RAID array. Currently just back everything up to externals with Rsync, works a treat :).

5. yoink

yoink Member

Agreed. - I would want the price to be less as well though...

6. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

802.11N router with a USB port. ;)

EDIT: Do we know the box's dimensions and shipping weight? With that, estimates from freight forwarders would be possible. The one I use is USD$24 for the first 500grams, and $4 per 500grams after that. But it's more so based on volumetric weight of a package. So a Boxee would be ~$50-60, but then again, thats Fedex international express. USPS send a box that would fit the Boxee for USD$38.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

I'm not sure. It is smaller in height than coke can, but can't find exact details on the height and weight.
    ddamnn it is a nice looking box. I know some people won't like it and that is fine but I really like it.

8. KappA

KappA Member

Just received a new email from Dlink.

Good on them for dropping the price more inline with the current conversion rate. Still not as cheap as we hoped for but it's better than nothing. I'll wait for some reviews before jumping in.

9. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

That's a lot more reasonable.

10. Roe

Roe Member

agreed this is good but it could be better. Hey FatBoyNotSoSlim have you already ordered your from OS and if so how much is it going to cost all up?

11. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

still would make it about 40 bucks cheaper to import though...wondering if a warrenty is worth 40 bucks...possibly

12. KappA

KappA Member

Am I assuming correctly that with an RRP of $299, it will be slightly cheaper on retail shelves? Maybe $289/$279?

13. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

For me $40 bucks allows me not to worry if things go wrong, and i can deal with any service issues locally.

Yep, the $299 is the RRP, so i would expect prices to fluctuate as more and more stores stock the item.

14. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I'm not getting one. I'm just providing information on how easy it tis to import one.

Initial release is locked to DSE/Harvey/Other retailer and prices WILL be $299 locked.

Other Retailers/Comp stores are allocated stock/allowed to sell in 2011, then expect the price to be competitive.

15. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

This is what I am thinking, I would prefer to pay the $40 and it I get it straight away. I also figure i'm paying $40 for the warranty which IMO is worth it.

Just read my emails and saw this... you guys beat me to it, i jumped on OCAU straight away to share the news. I'm really happy that they have listened to us. I'm putting in my pre-order now. awesome awesome. :) hopefully it is good.

Will be great watching TED on my couch :D
    mmm now to clean up my names on my shows!

16. OPM881

OPM881 Member

I just hope that someone adds in an ability to plugin a USB tv tuner and watch tv via an app and record that to where ever your files are stored. If so, I will definatly get one. Probably going to get one anyway but still.

17. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

While it would be nice, its something the Boxee Box would have to support itself, unless it's done via some homebrew way.

18. OP
    OP
    TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

I remember that the CEO was talking about it for awhile (saying the CEO, there are something like 8 employees or something haha). So I would imagine that it is in the works... hence the USB ports on the device. Personally I would have absolutely no use for a tv tuner but understand people like it. I don't even have my antenna plugged in :p

19. Danske

Danske Member

Sames :D tv FTL.

Well, i've preordered it, the $50 difference is pretty much the deal sealer.

Since now it brings it about $40 difference to importing it. I would much prefer to pay $40 for warranty and zero effort in messing around with power packs/cables/etc.

20. Roe

Roe Member

Ahh i see. As with everyone else i to will pay the $40 for local warranty but am going to wait as i already have an i3 530/itx box doing the htpc duties. I think I just want the funky designed box and remote :o