Boxing day sale TVs 46" (maybe 50") - which one to buy? [includes list of found TVs]

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by fruxo, Dec 25, 2010.

1. HaZZaD

HaZZaD Member

You sure you got that PS3 bundle mate? If you only bought it today you realise the PS3 promo has ended dont you?

Ended up getting a Sammy 58" 3D Plasma for $2185. Was hoping for a slightly better price, but ended up going out to late in the day and most places were out of stock.

2. Zee

Zee Member

Please explain?

Z...

3. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

I know, I was a bit wtf too :confused:

4. Psychotik

Psychotik Member

LCD's use less power than Plasma TV's for a start. LED's use 40% less power than LCD's so imagine the difference between LED and Plasma. I know a guy whose Plasma TV doubles as a heater in the winter time. When it comes to Summer, it can't be used as it overheats.

My own personal observations over the last two weeks or more since I've been looking tell me that the LED picture is way better than a LCD and this is better than a Plasma. I watched a demo of Avatar on a 58" Plasma and it looked like shit compared to the 46" LCD that was sitting just across from it.

The general consensus of the so called 'professionals' who are selling the tech seem to all say go for an LCD/LED over a Plasma if you are using it for TV/Movies. If you are a gamer though Plasma's seem to be good for the higher refresh rates.

@Hazzad - Bought on the 23rd mate! Definetly got the bundle pack coming my way, Sony confirmed by emailing me and I have paid the P&H.

5. Nafe

Nafe Member

Something is clearly wrong with your mate's plasma, or its from the dark ages when they cost $10k each. My parents one is a 2 year old Panasonic, and yeah it gets a little warm, but doubling as a heater? Not a chance.

My new 50" Plasma (the Panasonic mentioned for $948) doesn't give off nearly as much heat as my folks one, has a 4 star power rating, and when worked out compared to the equivalent LCD, used about $10 a year more electricity than an LCD TV. Hardly earth shattering, nor deal-breaking IMHO. It looks f-ing brilliant for blurays too. And for under $1k, it's a bargain (it's dropped $250 in the space of a month!).

End of the day, it comes down to personal preference and price. The performance aspect has very little to do with it unless you're going to sit TVs side by side and play the exact same thing under exact same conditions and carry out a million scientific tests to tell you which one looks better. Use your own eyes, make your own judgement. Some people prefer the plasma, some the LCD. Don't forget that the shops often leave default settings on the TVs and every manufacturer shops them set differently, so you'll be tweaking it to suit your environment.

6. rdamage

rdamage Member

I think if you are going to make blanket generalised statements you should start quoting specific models numbers.

7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

It's very rare to see a single post with quite so much bullshit in it... :lol:

8. Psychotik

Psychotik Member

Its pretty rare to not come across a thread with a troll in it these days :)

As I said what I've stated above was based on my own personal opinions from looking at the different panels in different stores and what I've been told by other people as well as the small amount of reading I did online.

Each to their own...I'm happy with my TV and at the end of the day thats all that matters. IMO LED TV's appear to be best. I saw a supposed 400Hz Plasma panel in JB that lagged in comparison to the 100Hz LCD sitting beside it (both playing the same clip).

Oh btw if it helps, mine is the KDL-46HX800

9. Zee

Zee Member

As a "professional", Plasma kills LCD and LED all day long in just about every respect except for the amount of light it can pump out.

The so called "professional" teenagers at JB, Harvey and Bing probably love the over bright, over-saturated, over the top contrasted and way oversharp images that come stock from an LED, but that is *not* a good picture.

Plasma still produces better black levels (and you can only see contrast differences at a max of about 1000:1 - and the more of that you see int he black region, the better).

Motion (as you mentioned), is also better on plasma. And, erm.. as far as I remember, "Movies" is short for "Motion Pictures"... Having rapid response rates (and they are faster) is a huge benefit for movies - unless you like your motion artifacts as part of your home cinematic experience. (though I admit, newer LCD's are getting there, but OLED tech will kill both of them off).

As far as 40% more power usage by a plasma, I'm not so sure about that, as plasma power usage is measured with an all white screen - which, oddly enough, you very rarely see. A properly calibrated plasma is unlikely to use anywhere near 40% more juice than a calibrated LED - though that is a personal suspicion, and I'd actually like to see "real world" power usage figures for both.

Z...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  10. ecroF

ecroF Member

Please tell me you don't sell tv's for a living.

11. voltare1

voltare1 Member

+1 plasma sucks balls

excessively hot compared to lcd, can feel the heat radiating from the screens when i walk in front of them, put the back of your hand against the display panel.

excessive flicker more so in your periphery tho also when your screen is distant from you (I also hate colour wheel DLP projectors, shit-house sub-field rendering (dithering) methods , notable dimming when a white screen or mostly bright image is displayed.

black levels arn't THAT good compared to good LCD's, lcd panels are naturally blacker from the get go with pdp's being grey to start with. black level (current generation)only matters if you watch in complete darkness.

high failure rates and burn in still a major problem, JB ipswich has a relatively new panasonic on demo with nasty burn-in from the picture enhancement demo no amount of white wash is going to fix that.

LED is still LCD but i have to admit they look awesome excellent viewing angles, seriously thin.

12. Nafe

Nafe Member

You do realise that your TV is an LCD right?

13. voltare1

voltare1 Member

the 400hz/600hz refers to subfield rendering and how quick the hardware refreshes the display (and moreso how quickly the pixels can be dithered) and not how quick images are updated. remember you still only have 24/25/30 FPS (double that for interlaced content)

That fake interframe motion stuff irritates me too. My tele has this and i turned it off.

14. rdamage

rdamage Member

It's worth having a look at the governments energy rating site and it's the reason why you can't make blanket statements regarding power consumption because there is so much variation between technology types, different manufacturers, different screen size, generation of panel and features that will account for a TVs energy consumption.

http://www.energyrating.gov.au/appsearch/tv_srch.asp?sort=

15. Zee

Zee Member

Once again, no idea what people are talking about with excessive heat, they are a little warmer, but it is not like plasma are running at boiling point. Also, who stands within 5cm of a plasma to feel the extra 2 or 3 degrees of heat?

And lag? The picture was lagging? As in lagging behind the LCD by a fraction of a second? Like, the sort of thing that could be caused by the length of cable used or the switch box that distributes the video? Not that it matters, because in your home you wont have another TV next to yours to see any lag - and if the Audio and video is in sync, I can't see why even a 1 second lag would be of any issue...

I also have no idea about this flicker claim, no one I know, and I'm talking engineer types, ISF certified technicians, installer - you know, people who *actually* know about this stuff, have seen flicker on good quality plasma TV's. I admit the colour wheel thing on DLP's is an issue - but then, I boubtyou are looking at high quality 3 chip systems (or even high quality single chip systems such as Runco) when you are comparing them.

And yes, black levels are *way* better - to get the supposed better black levels on LCD's, the blacks are crushed like crazy - there is no detail int he blacks, ever seen a Kuro? The current Samsung range are not too bad either, and Panasonic have brilliant blacks with their Neoplasmas too. I suspect you have been comparing too many Vivo Plasmas to Series 8 "LED" TV's if you think plasma is grey. I still find LCD to be a PITA with off angle - including LED.

And there is no point crushing the blacks if you can't see the detail in the black...

As for high failure rates, I don't know about that, I see just as many LCD's get sent back as Plasma, though I will readily admit that burn in is still an issue - though I don't know anyone who will watch a demo disc for the period of time it takes to actually make this happen on a model plasma. I play games on my Samsung PS50C7000, and also my old Fujitsu 40inch P42HHA30AS (which was seeing Halo Reach action for about 8 hours a day for a while there) and no burn in on either. That Fujitsu is about 7 or 8 years old now, and yes, it's blacks are grey, but it's a very old gen panel, and... No burn in.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions on what they like to watch, but uneducated misinformation from random sources should be left to the JB, Bing and Harvey sales teams - at least we *know* hey are full of it.

On a side note, no one should EVER base their views on a panel by comparing TV's on a shop floor, in Dynamic mode - the worst possible way to assess a panel IMPO. At least try and get the sales guy to flick to Movie mode - nowhere near perfect, but a way better test of actual image quality.

Z...

16. Fishface

Fishface Member

I will just point out that Plasma panels radiate their heat mainly from the front of the display. LCDs on the other hand generate heat from the backlight and this convects up from the rear of the panel.

There are some LCDs that draw more power than the equivalent plasma. Down at my local BigW there is an AWA LCD with a one star energy rating.

17. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

18. Zee

Zee Member

Nice set... Especially for the money.

Z...

19. voltare1

voltare1 Member

flicker is there. My eyes are over sensitive to flicker, i see it from the ends of flouro tubes, single chip dlp (yes 3chip dlp's don't have this fault because there is no colour wheel)

the screen can only be as black as the screen surface, plasmas (heavily tinted ones aside)
    are always grey, in daylight or moderate room light the advantage is lost and made worse. You can up the brightness some, the screen surface is reference point 0.

This is usuallly a fault in the way the panel is driven, 6 bit panels (TFT/PDP) have the same limitations IPS/SIPS panels are true 8bit panels plus dithering, same with PDP,
    VERY true, I always walk up to the tv's and start playing around in the menu's, turning off dynamic contrast/natural motion, ultra sharp etc to see how they behave normally.

20. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

You're the troll in the AV section, GTFO with your endless load of BS.
    LED typically have screen uniformity issues and would be a complete joke trying to professionally calibrate such junk.
    You want to pay more for low rent crap be my guest, but don't mislead people into believing that the typical LED is better than the best plasma{which is often both cheaper and bigger}.

If people are wondering why plasma suck instore, it could be any number of reasons....

1...plasma aren't as bright so LCD have an artificial advantage instore which is about faced at home as that extra brightness is rarely usable, and when it is, it most likely means the LCD is suffering anyway.

2....the plasma's may not be calibrated as well, or the shop mode calibration of LCD is simply better than plasma but is useless and undesirable at home.

When u surf the web for professional web reviews, you'll typically find a Panasonic NEO plasma at position 1 no matter which country is doing the review, you'll also find that they rate screen uniformity as perfect, but I could find 20 examples of current model LCD/LED that have noted screen uniformity issues, and these LCD's cost MORE.

LED/LCD also have viewing angle problems, so they can suck as a family TV, whereas plasma have very wide viewing angles....the best plasma also have the best fulltime black levels{important in creating that 3D effect}.