1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bracing for a 75" TV Wall Mount

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by twinhardballers, Jul 9, 2020.

1. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice here - I have an NU7100 75" Samsung (https://www.samsung.com/au/tvs/uhdtv-nu7100/UA75NU7100WXXY/) and I'm looking to wall mount it in my new apartment.

I have contacted a couple of installers and they both mentioned that since it's likely steel framing inside the wall, I will need to have it 'braced' since the steel isn't great to have the tv directly wall mounted on it.

I'm pretty new to the wallmounting game and not sure where to go from here to get someone to brace the wall? The installers just said 'any handyman' but I kind of want to make sure that a) I definitely need this, and b) I get someone reputable to do it; last thing I want is a shoddy job and a tv on the floor in a million pieces.

Any advice/help would be great!!

2. connico

connico Member

Well there are couple of methods with steel studs

1. Internal bracing or noggin for walls will require a handyman to remove the plaster board and install a minimum of 16mm MDF or Ply between the studs that you want to locate the TV. This can be a messy and expensive exercise. This will look the cleanest once it's done properly.

2. External Bracing for walls will require a handy man to locate the metal stud and find its centre. Once they find the centre they make a hole in the studd and use a toggle bolt through the stud and a piece of 16mm+ MDF or Ply board to secure it to the wall. Then you can secure your mount to the wall

3. Instead of bracing the wall with a wooden piece of MDF or Ply, you can just secure the bracket to metal studs using a toggle bolt instead. Since the TV is approx 37kg it will be fine. its not a old school panasonic plasma that weighs 110 kgs

nico6, Holdenkicks and willus like this.
  3. nico6

nico6 Member

This is what I would do

4. driver

driver Member

Steel framing is more of a PITA for mounting - but extra boards isn't needed unless you need the horizontal alignment between studs. eg (tiny bracket VS massive wall stud spacing -like on some nasty office fit outs)

Decent sized Toggle Bolts and a good metal drill bit should do the trick.

The main problem is the metal faming is C shaped so a blunt drill bit may start to bend it inwards when drilling

5. Zee

Zee Member

Mount a *wide* TV mount (shallow depth - no swinging our tilt mechs) with decent metal screws (like roofing screws) through the metal, and wall anchors into Gyprock - say, 10-14 of them.

Once done, do some pulls ups on the mount (I'm serious). If it holds an adult male doing pulls ups, it'll hold a ~35kg TV. If not, you'll only have to patch the wall (but not going to happen if you can get at least a 2 screws in either side of the centre of the wall mount - the location of the metal framing will be key).

I would use this mount if I were doing the job.
    Z...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020