Braid - challenges what gaming is all about

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Aug 24, 2008.

1. power

power Member

I keep seeing this game around atm so i thought I'd whack a thread up here, now it's not available on PC yet but on X-Box live Arcade but the website for it states a PC release which bodes well. Good Game reviewers rated it very highly on last weeks show with Bajo giving it 9.5/10 and Junglist a 10.

Good Game VIDEO review link.

What do you reckon OCAU, would you play it - i know i will when it comes to PC.

Brisbane Times review gives it 5/5 too

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Looks pretty tame from the youtubelink, but that review sounds really promising! I'm all for people bringing out games where gameplay is important, more so than graphics to make your eyes bleed.

3. Sumomaniac

Sumomaniac Member

ill give it a go

4. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

//Posting for subscription//

Looks like a nice little casual game. I'm sure it'll be on Steam in no time.

*EDIT* Official blog here:
    http://braid-game.com/news/

There's a nice Video-review there from GiantBomb showing the time controlling features.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

apparently the graphics are actually quite amazing so that youtube link shouldn't really be your indicator of what the game looks like either.

6. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

I saw the review of it on good game the other night and it does look very impressive. Can't wait for the PC release :thumbup:

The last indy platformer I played was Cave Story and that was a great game, so it shows that this genre isn't dead and with the right developers they can produce something far more entertaining, even with low budgets, than the current wave of boring games being produced by commercial franchises with multi-million dollar budgets.

7. hosh0

hosh0 Member

I saw the youtube video and straight away though Mario.

8. Segression

Segression Member

played the trial on XBLA, its quite addictive, the graphics are kinda cool, kind of embossed 2d. who cares bout the graphcis tho the game is addictive

9. slipkord

slipkord Member

Definitely, I was telling my friends about Braid on another forum and they all agreed it was sweet.

Read this excellent article at Gamasutra on the artwork of Braid. It's not just Jonathan Blow people should be praising, its his co-collaborator David Hellman.

The indie gaming scene is one I've been diligently watching for the past year or so more than 'mainstream' :- its where the most innovative and fun gameplay ideas and concepts seem to come from again and again from various indie developers and bedroom programmers. And almost all of these games are of the small scale that a lot of them can be downloaded for free, e.g. Cave Story - which is fantastic for the rest of us!

@ ThE_BiG_O: if you're last platformer was Cave Story, I have to say that you may have missed out on several awesome indie platformer-ish games in the intervening period between Cave Story and Braid :lol: Case in point, check out Noitu Love 2: Devolution released a few months back.

10. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

"I'm sorry but the Princess is in another castle" !?

Mario rip off, smells like a dodgy asian re-write, toss it in with the others.

11. sven222

sven222 Member

The video in the OP doesn't do it justice at all. Watch the linked good game review for a better idea of what it's about.

12. fox1

fox1 Member

Hear that plane? It went over your head...

13. Rii

Rii (Banned or Deleted)

Braid may well be the masterpiece that most critics are claiming it is, I'm rather looking forward to finding out myself when it becomes available for PC. That said, Jonathan Blow is a name I could well go without hearing from ever again.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

heh.....not so sure I'd play it to be honest. Looks pretty old school.

15. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

I played the trial when someone posted here about it last time. They said to check it out, and at the time I had no idea it was some critically acclaimed masterpiece. Anyway, it's fantastic, each of the chapters are different (one of them, your movement directly controls time) and being able to control time is great. The game seems so smooth and the art looks wonderful, but i guess thats a little because it's a 2d game with high res art on a pretty quick machine. I'm a fan, I'll more than likely buy it when I can.

16. Lithiumz

Lithiumz Member

Looks a like a typical sidescroller with decent graphics...

17. Rii

Rii (Banned or Deleted)

Braid has generated more pure wank from gaming critics than even MGS4 or Bioshock. It's all rather amusing. :D

With respect to the OP, I don't think a Youtube clip is the best way to "sell" this game.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah that's why i linked off to the gg reviews, to me the game sounds simple and most importantly fun.

19. Iceickle

Iceickle Member

That youtube video you posted is complete crap, it had me believing the game was just a Mario clone. Then I watched the GG review, and read some other reviews... Looks very cool indeed. Anyone who describes this as 'typical' or 'a clone' clearly has no fucking idea.

(removed the acronym for emphasis)

20. Neviss

Neviss Member

Looks very much to be a mario rip off, but with so much great publicity and reviews..surely not everyone is wrong so i'm sure i'll give it a go..and hopefully love it.