1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave Browser

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ChinoPD, Aug 23, 2018.

1. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I would like to spread the word about Brave and am curious if anyone here is currently using it. It's been a while since I moved to Chrome away from Opera a while ago. I'm usually not the tinfoil type person but I am starting to see performance impacts on my daily browsing usage on mobile and desktop, and I'm generally not a fan of trackers. It just so happens, after a series of events, came across Brave along with Duckduckgo as the SE. I am only now taking the first steps to trialing the two together, on one laptop and also my mobile (iPhoneX). I am interested on others' experiences with either or both.

https://brave.com/

https://duckduckgo.com/

2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I'll be interested to hear. I went from Chrome to Opera and now I am Firefox.. but always interested in seeing what's out there...

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If it gains some traction and popularity amongst the browser wars I'd consider it.

4. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Looks good, but I like Epic too as it has a built-in proxy.

But I'm stuck with Chrome for work cos I need Google extensions to scan client sites.

I also use Lastpass so I need support for that.

5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Brave is spyware garbage. I use a few different webkit2gtk browsers (luakit, vimb) and they are much better than de-google'd chromium et alli

6. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Brave has Lastpass support I believe.

Do you have any sources that Brave is spyware garbage? I am willing to have a read and do further research.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  7. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

8. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

9. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

10. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

11. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

https://www.privacytools.io/

It is noted that Brave is mentioned there alongside TOR and Firefox. I did use it for a while but due to the addons and configurations you can make to FireFox I persist with that for privacy and security reasons.

12. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Epic passed all the tests too.

13. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

14. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Thanks Bold! How’s FF like resource wise? I’ll take a look at Epic as well.

15. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I have 16GB of RAM on a 2600K OC to 4.4GHz - I never have any issues running browsers (FF) and gaming and tunes over multiple monitors.

If it is about Privacy review that link I posted above, adopt NoScript (a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it you will never look back) and change your DNS either on your end-client or your router.

16. ibace

ibace Member

I've tried most of those mentioned...didn't mind Brave either...currently back with Opera [v54] but am trialling Avant as well...and I like it! Whether it changes to me go to...is another matter yet to be decided...

17. OP
    OP
    ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Nice, I’ve yet to give Epic a good look-in actually. Opera used to be my go-to back in the day. I’ve not had the chance to properly give Brave a good go at home, but at work it does a nice job. Keen to get out of the google eco system. I’ll check out Avant as well, thanks.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah that's what annoyed me about NoScript....just the setup of it and it's persistent nature despite always ticking/unticking stuff.

19. Skydome

Skydome Member

necro.

I've been seeing brave advertising on facebook with claims it's faster than chrome and etc. Is this all true?

Is it worth switching over to brave? I mean it sounds interesting but i'm not really sure about it. Also can you easily switch over email accounts on brave like you can on google once you've logged into them all?

20. dimension11

dimension11 Member

Well the Moral really is that you can't trust anything you didn't create yourself.

Did you entirely write the OS that you're using from scratch, line by line? If you did, then well, you're probably using one of the most vulnerable OSes in the world, because an OS written by and used by a single person is probably less secure than one that is written by multiple and been subjected to years of exploit attempts.
    Even if, say you wrote your own OS completely, and I mean, completely from the boot loader to the kernel, did you write all the drivers by yourself? Did you petition NDAs from all the large corporations (NVIDIA, AMD) etc to get access to their hardware specs to write the display drivers? What about the hundreds of other drivers that your system contains? What about the BIOS?
    Even if you wrote every scrap of code that you ran (which I bet you didn't), and paid millions for a private company to audit it and certify that it was bugfree and spyware free, did you physically create the hardware that the software is running on? How do you know that the workers in some developing nation didn't slip an extra IC or 2 into your processor that is now sending back every keystroke to the motherland? Did you personally and physically design, craft and sodder every last IC, chip and circuit?
    Even if you spent years learning to be a hardware designer and did all of that, and built your own factories to manufacturer hardware from scratch, did you physically gather the silicon from a beach somewhere to melt down into wafers?

Unless you've actually done all of these things, then really you don't have an unbroken chain of trust, and singling out some piece of code that looks like it was written with good intentions and labelling it as spyware on the basis of some misquoted article seems abit extreme to me.

charithjperera and ChinoPD like this.