Breaking my Bali virginity next week

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Zzapped, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

So after many years of not going, im going, Seminyak to be precise...........what to look out for, apart from the obvious boogie board bags :)

2. Witters

Witters Member

Bali is an awesome place. Locals are very friendly and welcoming. If you're after a relaxing holiday don't spend too much time in the touristy, overcrowded bars in Kuta.
    I recommend Ubud for a day trip at least.
    It helps if you know a few basic Indonesian words to ward off the market hawkers. E.g No, thankyou. etc...

Other than that just relax and have fun in the sun.

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

4. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Oh yeah, I'm heading to Ubud tomorrow.

5. neRok

neRok Member

I just got back from Bali. Free visa at the moment, which is good.
    Make sure you got travel insurance, because the volcano is grumbling.
    Dont get off the plane drunk, seeing as its your first time. I did that my first time, and I was confused as fuck with regards to the money and where to go :p Lucky I was with ppl who had been before.
    Stick to bottled water, and always carry one around with you to keep hydrated. It's about $1/L (10,000rp) from the deli's. Also, if you are getting tea/coffee from somewhere other than your hotel, make sure the water they use in that is bottle water too. This is more important if you leave the southern areas and travel north, where it is less 'built-up'.
    It was 30C every day I was there, so hot, but not terribly so. Sunscreen is a rip ($15/150,000rp for a small bottle), so either take some in check-in luggage, or find some small bottles here (you can only take 100ml containers in carry-on).
    Unless you pre-organise something, change $50 (500,000rp) at airport (probably cheaper to do so at Bali) to pay for a taxi. Blue Bird are the reputable taxi company, but there is another that does their best to look the same. I've never had a problem with either though. When you get in, either ask if it's on the meter, or negotiate a price. Don't just wing it, that's opening yourself up to getting scammed. Airport to Seminyak would normally cost ~$7/70,000rp (based on distance/time), but they like to stiff you for a large fixed rate, and are very reluctant to negotiate. Expect to pay 150-200k rp.
    We scootered everywhere this holiday (everywhere being places between Kuta and Seminyak :lol:), which I enjoyed way more than I thought I would (I was actually hesitant to do so at all). I would stick to taxis for the first day or 2 though, to get a feel for how their traffic works. We did have a man down though, but he was being dumb and stacked it on a corner, luckily on a road with no traffic at the time. A fractured foot was his punishment!
    Regarding day to day money, I just change and carry $100AUD (1,000,000rp) every day, which usually covers me. Many places in Seminyak have cocktails around 130k rp though, so if you are planning a big session at such a place, either bring CC or more cash. If you go to Potato Head, expect to pay even more. Some other ppl with me were just pulling out $200 a time from an ATM (comes out in RP, gets a decent rate, no hassle). With the changers on the street, just find a joint with a good sign. The better quality the sign, the more likely you won't get shafted. My hotel was changing at $1=10,000rp, which isn't great because you can get $1=10,500rp on the streets no worries. Nice and safe at the hotel tough. When they are changing, get them to do it slow so you can keep up, and once they have counted a stack of say 1mil, don't let them touch it again, because that's when they like to swipe some. Don't sign the piece of paper until after you've got the money in your hands/wallet either.
    Most importantly, Bintang should cost ~25k rp (typical deli price). Some bars and restaurants might go up to mid-30's, which is ok for a pop-in. Some shit holes will try sell for 40+, which you should take no part in.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Not sure if it's still the case, but last time I went the Airport Tax are collected at the airport for arrival and departure and they only take USD. Make sure you have correct change for that.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Don't think you would want to travel anywhere without insurance anyways, regardless of volcanos.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Speaking of insurance, heard on the news this morning that some insurer are refusing to either sell or honor travel insurance to Bali due to volcano activity. So even if you have bought it already, would be wise to double check if it's still valid.

9. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

I'm in Semi on the 30th!

OCAU Bali meet up?

10. wordplay

wordplay Member

always a nice thought to pay respects at the site of the old sari club. RIP.

11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

With Agung about to go pop I wouldnt book anything for the next 6 months. Last time it erupted it went for almost a year.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yup. Looks almost certain it's gonna blow.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Doesn't seem to be effecting numbers travelling there.

14. power

power Member

Volcano selfies? Who can resist that???

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

16. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Jesus Christ, sensationalist much!? It will mainly effect the north of the island. You can still see the difference in the landscape from the last time Agung erupted, almost desert like with small trees and cacti. The ash is the worry and it will only shut the airport down if the winds blow in the right direction.

17. Athiril

Athiril Member

If you're into doing that type of thing while you're there, be careful, there are scams where someone will try to sell you a small boogie board sample and then tell police waiting around the corner apparently.

Anyway, avoid Uber, use either Bluebird Taxis or Grab Car app, they're better than Uber.

Many closer villages to Kuta and the surrounding areas you can be dropped off by, but you are "not allowed" to be picked up from the villages - ie they "ban" uber, grab, national taxis. They want you to hire "local taxis" which often cost more than Australian taxis for the same distance, so just be aware of that.

I'd prefer to go somewhere like Padang Bai - costs about $7 by a share minibus to get there, and there get a ferry to Gilli Islands or something there. (not sure if thats in volcanic area).

I honestly didnt rate the closer central areas that much.

edit: Okay thats directly south of the volcano lol.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  18. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Padang Bai should be fine, the whole north east area may have issues with ash. Most of the lava flows are in the north based on the last eruption. As for the ferry, get the fast one. I have never used a cab in Bali, I always organise a driver, only $30 for half a day.