Breaking the sound Barrier Pics.

Discussion in 'Science' started by Voltus, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Voltus

Voltus Member

Got some Interesting pics in the e-mail the other day.. I dont know if anyone else has go them. However I thought I might post them here for your perusal.

Hope you find them as awesome and interesting as I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Theres also a really neat Vid of this on Youtube.. and one of a plane literally exploding from the g-forces .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfjbtjCHZaA

Explosion one: tomfoolery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8WyH8uimew

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  2. Cooties

Cooties Member

I was thinking "why do those clouds form at the sound barrier" so I found this: Sonic Boom, Sound Barrier, and Condensation Clouds which explains that its not at the sound barrier that these clouds form, but just before ~0.95, or just after the sound barrier ~1.05
    Interesting read, if a little technical.

3. Pirki

Pirki Member

was just gonna ask that question.

nice videos

4. n000b

n000b Member

5. OP
    OP
    Voltus

Voltus Member

pump failure? how do you know?

6. n000b

n000b Member

Google around for it (I'm too lazy) :) It's a well documented crash, it wasn't caused by breaking the sound barrier (I don't think), and the pilot got out fine.

7. philip_pc

philip_pc Member

thats awesome.
    but why did it explode?
    pushed the engine too hard? lol'z

8. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Perhaps he ignored the "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" warning?

-Nick

9. OP
    OP
    Voltus

Voltus Member

10. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

woah anyone have high res pics of the second one ?

11. R3Dl2ULZ

R3Dl2ULZ Member

all those pics are awesome. and i do mean that in the way of inspiring awe. the most beautiful, moving images i have seen are science related. things like scanning electron microscope, super-powerful telescope, and like the pictures in this topic, images of huge forces captured at their peak.

12. OP
    OP
    Voltus

Voltus Member

ya.. humans rule!

were so smart!

shame most of our best technology goes into machines of war..

but it makes for good Photographs and television!

13. Xxian.com

Xxian.com Member

I don't doubt for a second that the projectiles fired in those pics broke the sound barrier, but those images do not display that.

Image one is muzzel blast or muzzle flash, image 2 was correctly identified by Voltus as shockwave.

Im not trying to rain on your parade mate, they're awesome shots.

What I do wonder is why the average projectile fired from a rifle / cannon etc does not produce the same cloud when breaking the sound barrier as the likes of an aircraft does.

14. philip_pc

philip_pc Member

man this thread iz just simply awesome.
    but can someone care to explain in scientific terms, or explain in general.
    how does that clound form when the speed barrier is broken?
    i'm puzzled and wanna know.
    most google searches only show pictures of the barrier being broken, not explaining how the clound is formed.

15. hellgrf

hellgrf Member

I would take a guess its because projectiles dont have any sound waves coming from them in the first place, therefore they cant stack up on eachother to create the low pressure front.

16. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

Too much misinformation on the internet, a lot of the "sonic boom" videos out there aren't sonic booms at all :( Display aircraft at air shows that adhere to the international regulations aren't allowed to go supersonic - although some do get very close. I remember witnessing a display of a MiG-21 that had to climb away from the runway to allow more aircraft to depart - when he descended to do his display over the runway, he struggled to lower his speed. As he shot silently past the crowd, there was a loud crack and you could "feel" the air pulse. Not quite supersonic, but damned close.

Anyway, here is a more authentic video of a supersonic flyby. Note the "double-boom" sound, which is indicative of an aircraft being supersonic.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  17. Cooties

Cooties Member

It would be because the 'clouds' only form close to the sound barrier (about mach 0.95 and 1.05 according to the article I linked) And the projectile would be travelling much faster than the speed of sound when they come out of the barrel

Also, to answer philip_pc - read the article I linked :D
    From the article:
    - The clouds appear for the same reason that clouds always form, namely, that the air has cooled to the point that the ambient water vapor condenses.
    - It is well known that lift is caused by pressure differences on top or bottom of a wing or body so that it ought to be obvious that the pressure varies from point to point in a flow around an object.
    - the temperature (T) at each point in the flow is necessarily related to the pressure (p) (insert formula here)
    - the temperature of the air will increase and decrease as the pressure increases and decreases. Regions of high pressure will necessarily correspond to regions of high temperature and regions of low pressure will correspond to regions of low temperature.

The article goes on to explan that due to the "Prandtl-Glauert Singularity" (see article for maths) there are pressure differences that form, creating an area of low pressure, creating low temperatures, which creates condensation.

18. jonsey32

jonsey32 Member

Wouldn't that mean the cloud is obscured by the muzzle flash, or even formed inside the barrel and came out with the cloud gases?

19. Cooties

Cooties Member

I dont know :confused:
    At a guess I'd say that the point at which it reaches the speeds to create the condensation would occur inside the barrel. It would only be at the speeds for a extremely small ammounts of time (passing through them towards its top speed), and even if it creates the condensation, you would probably not see it because it would be consumed by the explosion of the gunpowder.
    I dont have any sources to back that up though.

20. Pirki

Pirki Member

Read post 2 from Cooties..