Bring your games into one place

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Sunder, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Sunder

Sunder Member

The irony. I pre-ordered (but didn't pay for) CP2077 like years ago, 2018, I think? Physical edition, yeah, laugh on. I wasn't even going to pick it up, because you can get it quite a lot cheaper online, but they kept calling me to honor my pre-purchase, and I figured, it's a physical item, they paid for it, and will now have a hell of a difficult time selling it if I don't honor it, so call me a sucker, but I felt that I should carry through with it.

First regret: I have to download yet another platform. That's now Steam, Battle.net, Epic Games, Origin, Uplay, and probably a couple other one-game platform.

Each one, I have to disable from autoloading at boot, some like Epic, when they are running, will put ads over your desktop, even when you're in Zoom calls sharing your screen for work... And most of them keep spamming your email with "promotions", and not all of them honor opt-opt. It's getting pretty tiring, but the price we pay for avoiding monopoly.

Then upon first install I see this:

upload_2021-3-7_9-49-26.png

Anyone else getting sick of every single game having its own ecoverse, and how annoying it is to then have to wait for the first email, hope the unsubscribe button works, look for the "do not start with windows" or the registry key to stop it auto-running, only to have it reset on next patch? etc.

2. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

stick with one platform and ignore the games on the other platforms. steam still remains the most popular platform for older gamers because they are happy with it, and even if epic offers free games it's not enough to make us move to their platform.

it's a different environment for younger gamers because they have so many options to choose from.

with the autoboot/registry stuff you can write a script to do that. with emails, use the rules settings in your email client.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Ripley and hvalac like this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

PC gamers: "PC > console because I have choice!"

Also PC gamers: "All this choice sucks, why isn't there just one option?"

Welcome to diversity. This is what you asked for.

damo13579, Phalanx and Pinkeh like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Sunder

Sunder Member

I have never heard anyone say that PC is better than console for that reason. Choice of hardware, yes, but not having disparate ecosystems.

In fact, I see only minimal benefit in game platforms at all, and that benefit is that once in a blue moon (Maybe twice in the 17 or 18 years steam has been around) I've been able to re-download an old game for free, I otherwise would have lost.

If there was a choice to take a naked game with no launcher, I'd take it.

5. 151528

151528 Member

To be fair its also infiltrating through to consoles, with titles from bethesda and rockstar first coming to mind, I'm certain there's more. Yes you don't need a loader, but you do need an arbitrary account for a single player experience

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Your point is heard for multi player certainly. But for my limited experience in single player, I've not needed another account for the handful of Rockstar or Bethesda games I've played (I've not bothered with the recent Doom games, which I'm assuming may need said account).

I've absolutely heard this. Mostly in the name of pricing and DRM.

Speaking for myself, GOG is one of the few reasons I bother with PC gaming at all, again entirely around their stance on DRM which I 100% support.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  7. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

Also the fact that GoG supports standalone installers.

8. GregDude

GregDude Member

I have a Windows desktop with shortcuts to games I play. So they are all in the one place.

The only annoyance is that sometimes Uplay, Origin, EGS, Steam, Rockstar or other will sign out, that isn't bad, but sign out and not remember login, that's a nuisance.

So all these DRM systems are a minor nuisance, but sure beat the days of inserting a DVD or look up manual for some security check.

9. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

I use Steam, Origin, Epic, Ubi Connect and it's not an issue... I don't have any spam and it only takes a few secs to load the client.

10. OP
    OP
    Sunder

Sunder Member

That's only half the platforms I've inherited over the years. I guess I could uninstall a few. Haven't played their games in a while.

Steam hasn't spammed. I'm pretty sure Origin used to until I unsubscribed. Every now and again, a platform that I had turned off auto load or notifications or whatever, after a patch will turn it back on without asking.

I guess it depends on not only how many you have, but how many you use regularly. If you're done with a game and you no longer load it, and so it doesn't update, it's not an issue. I game with two groups of friends and so I am dealing with that issue a bit more often. Don't get me wrong, it's very much a trivial first world problem, but the more platforms you have, the more annoying it is. And mostly it just "triggered" me, explicitly because they said bring all your games together in one place, when it was just one more place to keep games.

[​IMG]

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I use Playnite, and besides realising that I have bought way, way, way too many games over the years it's quite handy to bring it all into one place. Easy. Also supports emulators, which is a win.

Go into "Settings" in Epic and turn off "Run When My Computer Starts". You can also turn off the spam it pops up on the screen. I put on those settings years ago and have never had them revert back.

If you unsubscribe and they don't honour it, report them to the AMCA, it is a breach of the Spam Act.

This is a feature, not a bug and is part of GOG Galaxy. GOG Galaxy has been around since 2014 and is definitely not a "single game having its own ecoverse", you're probably the only person to have not bought a Witcher game from them. Their games are mostly DRM free and don't require the software to launch, including CP2077.

But the "Connect game accounts" is exactly the same as Playnite - you can play all your games from one location without having to open individual libraries. They also let you get DRM free versions of some Steam games, which is pretty good.

I have over 500 games across 11 launchers according to Playnite, which is less than 1 launcher per year to install and configure (which usually takes about a minute at monst). I have never suffered the issues you apparently suffer from, so I'm putting it down to bad luck more than a launcher problem.

12. havabeer

havabeer Member

My gripe is 90% of the time the client opens it (or the game) needs a dam update.

I just have a bunch of icons (like 30)
    I double click them.
    The ones that have a client start up then the game starts
    The ones that dont just start the game.

Elmf likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Sunder

Sunder Member

Oh look, exactly 24 hours after I registered, the first "offer" to buy another game at 70% off :p
    upload_2021-3-8_10-3-22.png

Ah, at least they have an unsubscribe link in the fine print.

14. breno

breno Member

Solution: Get Playnite, connect all your launchers to it. Silent startup at boot most used launchers including playnite.

15. OP
    OP
    Sunder

Sunder Member

I actually was going to look at that when Phalanx mentioned it, but I was out and about and on my phone. If it can disable all other launchers and isn't intrusive itself, I'm in. I had a customer make a joke at my expense when Epic showed an ad during a presentation. (Luckily we had a good relationship, but it's still a professional embarrassment. I normally make sure I kill it, but for whatever reason, missed it that day).

16. breno

breno Member

It doesn't replace other launchers it just helps to put the games you own across multiple launchers into one place, like GOG Galaxy. If you start a game it will open respective launcher. To avoid that extra time I like to have the most used launchers (steam) silently load at startup.

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

what sort of blasphemy is this? autoloading things on startup? :D

18. breno

breno Member

Only useful things, Adobe updater can go and get stuffed :leet:

Pinkeh likes this.
  19. Ripley

Ripley Member

I do this, mostly. I had Uplay for a while thanks to Farcry Primal, but that's now gone. And I've had to begrudgingly accept the Bethesda Launcher thanks to Doom Eternal and the recent ES/FO Construction sets. But everything else is Steam. Never bothered playing the 3rd Mass Effect game for this reason. I kind of doubt that I'll ever get around to playing all the ones I've already bought. I can get years of play value out of the right game. Waiting for Stray for my next purchase.