1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Brisbane Riverfire 2005

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by White Rhino, Aug 27, 2005.

1. k23man

k23man Member

Your shots are quite sharp considering you didn't have a tripod. You should consider a career in brain surgery or something ;)

2. Boney

Boney Member

Nikon D70S with Tamron 18-200mm XR. Was mounted on a tripod with a remote cable. Shots taken in manual mode, apature at F16 or F22 in bulb mode at ISO 200.

3. OP
    OP
    White Rhino

White Rhino Member

Looks like most people got some good shots.
    In my rush to get back to Brisbane - from the Gold Coast - I left my gear behind and didn't realise I was in Yatala :(. Yay for a 200km trip to Brissy.
    Anywho I was amazed to find plenty of room at my chosen spot with less than 30 minutes before the big show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More here.

I was surprised I got so many decent shots as I know bumped my tripod more than a couple time and don't have a remote release.

White Rhino

4. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

Mine sufered that doggy tripod state of mind.

What settings you use?

5. OP
    OP
    White Rhino

White Rhino Member

300D kit lens
    2-6 secs
    f/13
    ISO 100

Shutter depended greatly on how many fireworks went off at once.
    Probably could have shut it down more for longer shots but I'm quite happy with my results.

White Rhino

6. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

So even with all of today's modern technology it's impossible to record imagery that matches the clarity and motion capture of the average human eye? :(

I was thinking something like this except really huge... and obviously from Riverfire as opposed to some random shot (night-time).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  7. codegenic

codegenic Member

Yes. Eyes are better than technology. That's day time. The shutter speed is high. It freezes motion, you see detail in the plane and in the flames.

It doesn't matter if you were to try it during the day or night, but if you decrease the shutter speed to get the fire trail over mutiple seconds, the plane will be a blur and so will the flame at the end of the photo. At night, you're going to get 0 detail of the plane. It's grey and the background is black.

To put it another way, yes your eyes are better, but they don't see the trail forever either. Maybe if you bump the ISO up as far as possible you could start to get -some- plane detail at night, but it'd still be pretty poor - given the only light source is at the back of the plane and orange. But you'll never get a trail+plane detail.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  8. codegenic

codegenic Member

FYI

[​IMG]

That is full frame on a 10D. I don't think you are ever going to get much more plane detail *and* flame detail than that.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  9. Turnip8or

Turnip8or Member

Well I had planned to find a spot on the riverbank somewhere at south bank but as my sister was running late we ended up driving in and on the way we noticed a few people setting up on a hill at West End so ended up there.
    For those interested it is called Highgate Hill Park (I think), was the corner of Dornoch tce and Hamstead). Got there about 4.30pm and found a reasonable spot, except some fool planted a tree down the bottom of the hill that shows up through the middle of some of my shots.
    Here are a few I got
    [​IMG]
    Click for Larger

[​IMG]
    Click for Larger

[​IMG]
    Click for Larger

[​IMG]
    Click for Larger

[​IMG]
    Click for Larger

I have posted up a lot more here and have a few more to process yet. Now that I have seen White Rhino's I am going to have to add some borders to the pictures I upload next (nice work btw White Rhino).
    Apart from the tree and the strong wind and the fact that we could not see the bridge fireworks it was a good spot.

10. disci

disci Member

Wow Turnipa8or and White Rhino: great shots.

Disci

11. Turnip8or

Turnip8or Member

Whilst were waiting for the show we heard on the radio that someone at Kangaroo point dropped there camera... $6K. :shock: :upset:
    I assume it was dropped on the ground and not over the cliff.

12. OP
    OP
    White Rhino

White Rhino Member

Yeah I heard that too. TripleM all the way :thumbup:. Had a good laugh.

Was the park packed? I had considered it but only having the kit lens it was a bit far away. My flatmate was in the penthouse next to the park. Might have to get up there next year with a decent zoom. No trees up there.

White Rhino

13. vegeta529

vegeta529 Member

14. redav

redav Member

Hahaha. That's amusing even though I've not done any sales training. If you mix them it comes out purple, (bruises). Fortunately she's just a friend. She keeps bagging me about stuff, (taste in music, driving habits, lack of preparedness). And to think we both leave for a 6 week trip through Europe. One of us will be up on murder charges soon :p

Ta. Resizing the photos helps too. It was propped on a circular hand railing on the walkway on the right hand end of the piazza. I was struggling.

p.s. too dumb to be brain surgeon. That's why I stuck with drafting :D

15. wisie

wisie Member

White Rhino: Yours really seem to stand out to me, nice work!

16. l00b3r

l00b3r (Banned or Deleted)

white rhino.
    your first shot (the purple fireworks) amazes me.
    I cannot say one bad thing about the image except that they should have launched more fireworks for you. thats an amazing shot mate.
    well done.

-Matt

17. Peeweed

Peeweed Member

Hey actually my tripod claimed a suburban white mother victim haha. It was an accident, but in the masses somehow a few pushes and bumps resulted in a poor woman being hit with all three of my tripod legs as it was attached to my bag. :shock: Once I realised what had actually happened I was very apologetic and so forth and she wasn't that phased really and was able to walk it off. Just thought I'd share lol. :D

18. Turnip8or

Turnip8or Member

By the time the fireworks started it was fairly packed, but we got there reasonably early (4.30pm).
    I used mainly my 18-55m lens, I did a couple of shots on my 90-300mm but most on the 18-55. I really would have liked to have had something in between I think.

19. cgrs15

cgrs15 Member

[​IMG]

and something a little bit different

[​IMG]

20. disci

disci Member