Brisbane Riverfire 2008, Speed Graphic 4x5

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by inexistentia, Sep 10, 2008.

1. inexistentia

inexistentia Member

Some shots taken with a Speed Graphic press camera of Brisbane Riverfire 2008.

This is what the camera looks like:

[​IMG]

This is what a 4x5 Velvia 100 transparency looks like:

[​IMG]

And here are the shots. Each links to a wallpaper sized version on Flickr.
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

truly beautiful

3. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Simply breathtaking, so much detail!

4. cpl punish

cpl punish Member

Love the sheet of fire under the bridge in #2. Epic.

5. azeroth

azeroth Member

Yeah seriously check out the bigger images they do them so much more justice.

6. FB008

FB008 Member

absofuckinglutely brilliant :thumbup:

7. wisie

wisie Member

Wow! That's fantastic :)

8. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Brilliant, thanks for sharing!

And please please go back to your flickr and lock the large size, I'm soooooo tempted to just right click on it for desktop background.....

9. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Truly excellent. I hope you get some sales of those, they should be made into posters for next year.

10. OP
    OP
    inexistentia

inexistentia Member

Hey - Feel free to use the large size versions on Flickr for wallpaper - that's what they're there for :)

They're under a 5th of the size of the original scans.

11. aramis

aramis Member

They really did come out absolutely fantastic, such beautifully vibrant colour :thumbup:

12. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

Fuck yeah, awesome shots! Love the curtain.

13. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

The Sharpness! The Clarity! The Colour!

Best. Photos. Ever.

Ok, so maybe a bit too over the top, but seriously, those photos made me feel all tingly inside. :lol:

For those interested in reading a bit more about the Speed Graphic, there is this here and naturally the Wikipedia article here.

If the OP cares to share more about what it's like to shoot with, I'd love to know more...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  14. J.J.

J.J. Member

That's a big old chunky camera!

15. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

what's the initial outlay? and what about the cost of film and developing?

i'm seriously tempted to get a setup like this instead of the D3 :p also, my work is having a themed christmas paty.. op-shop formal, i think that camera would fit in perfectly :)

16. disci

disci Member

Very nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but can I ask:

1. What program did you use to type in the EXIF data (shutter speed, focal length, etc); and
    2. What type of scanner was used?

Thanks.

Regards

D

17. BMan2

BMan2 Member

and seriously - no web view could ever do justice to how good the detail would be in that neg - no matter how good the scanner is.

18. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Ahhh Speed Graphic love!

They're awesome. It's amazing how precise each line of light from the fireworks are compared to what we're normally used to. Not that there's anything wrong with digital versions, I think it handles some aspects better, but the lines captured always have more of a glow to them and they spill into each other. It actually seems odd to see it this way.

You should give thought to getting cibachrome prints done. Your tranny looks fantastic, they'd come up amazing in a cibachrome print like that place in Adelaide does. Oh so pricey though...

Nice work. :)

19. OP
    OP
    inexistentia

inexistentia Member

Thanks everyone, your comments are appreciated!

To answer some questions:

What's it like to shoot with? Actually once you get all the prep done it's a breeze! Certainly much slower than shooting with digital but that slowdown is nice - really gives you an opportunity to think about the image you want to get.

Because it's a completely manual camera, you do need to take a few things into account so that you don't destroy a $6 sheet of velvia in one hit. It's not too hard to get the regime right and practiced though. I used old style film holders, which hold 2 sheets (these need to be loaded in a light-tight bag, by feel).

The camera I shot with is borrowed from a mate in Toowoomba, but I recently bought my own on eBay (it's being shipped as I write this) for $AUD570 including shipping, plus another $80 for a Graflok back which will enable me to fit roll film adapters. The version I bought is a Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic, manufactured between 1928 and 1939. Lenses can be very expensive (a brand new 90mm Schneider Super Angulon is as much as a Canon L lens, and the longer the focal length the more you'll pay), but I was able to get a bargain on eBay for 4 unshuttered process lenses for about $250. Normally large format lenses have their own shutter fitted as most LF cameras don't have their own shutter, but the Speed Graphic series has a focal plane shutter which eliminates the need for shuttered lenses.

I bought the Velvia from Photo Continental at Mount Gravatt at $59 for 10 sheets, so about $6 a sheet. It can be bought cheaper from american suppliers but you'll need to buy in bulk otherwise the shipping will outweigh the cost saving. Ilford B&W film sits at around $2 a sheet at PC. I needed to purchase the light-tight bag to load it, and it was about $40. There is also a regime of cleaning the holders of any dust before loading, and inspecting the camera for dust and any necessary cleaning before taking it out in the field. LF is especially prone to dust because the film plane is so damn huge.

Development is expensive, no way of getting around it. I had mine developed at Pro Lab in South Bank, for $10 a sheet with a 6 hour turnaround. If you shoot purely black and white you can get away with a Jobo developing kit and not even need a darkroom. Jobo also sells quite expensive c41 and e6 developing "microlabs" that only require darkness to load the exposed film into a canister. These are currently out of my price range though.

I used a program called exiftoolgui to tag the jpegs, and I am using a Microtek Scanmaker i700 to scan the film. I am keen on getting some drum scans done at some point once I have the funds available.

I will certainly consider it - thanks for the tip!

Cheers everyone :)

20. rubix

rubix Member

stunning shots mate, well done.