1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brisbane USB flash drive data recovery recommendation

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Rattus P Rattus, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Rattus P Rattus

Rattus P Rattus Member

Pretty please.

Client has a cheap old Sandisk flash drive which comes up as RAW in Windows Disk Management (prompts to format).

I tried five different recovery programs to scan and all of them (very quickly) find nothing.

Onto next option - a physical recovery mob. Anyone know of any in Brisbane?

2. power

power Member

never used them but OnTrack is the first name that comes to mind - normally with a raw partition you would re partition and quick format and go from there. depends how important data is i guess. also you may not know what the drive was formatted as before so that could be entertaining.

https://www.ontrack.com/en-au/data-recovery/brisbane

3. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Payam - I've used them before, when I did use them, it was a no-recovery no-charge type deal. I have used them twice and they were successful both times (once for an SSD, once for a HDD)

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Have used these guys before as well. Not cheap, but service and success rates are excellent.

1) It's about to be less cheap

2) Jesus saves. Everyone else makes incremental backups.

bcann and kombiman like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Rattus P Rattus

Rattus P Rattus Member

:lol: yep

elvis likes this.
  6. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Have you tried to use something like Linux's DD command to image the flash drive to your hard drive because it sounds like the physical device is still working. Once you have that image then have a quick look at the contents with a hex editor as there would be no point in sending it off for recovery if say everything is all zeroed out but if there is data there but not in a recognizable format then it might be worthwhile having them take a look at it.

7. OP
    OP
    Rattus P Rattus

Rattus P Rattus Member

Yeah, look, I said "client" for laziness sake - tis actually a work colleague so it is now beyond my "favour" range - they can go to a professional now.

Thanks for the input though guys - I have sent them to the Payam mob.

elvis likes this.
  8. elvis

There's also a good learning opportunity for them here. When they get the bill and see all the zeros at the end of the number, they'll suddenly find the time and motivation to make simple backups.

Some people need a bit of pain before they bother to change.

bcann likes this.
  9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well this certainly this saves me having to create a 100% identical thread . :tongue:

As for backups, well , not always the reason Data recovery is needed. In this case, it's rather, err , complicated . The data probably is backed up, but we'll never see it

10. elvis

If you can't get to a backup, it's not a backup. That's why enterprises test backups. And "testing" includes lots of things, not just the bits and bytes being in sensible order on the backup medium. But how long it takes you to get to the backup, how many hoops you have to jump through, how much red tape you have to cut, or how many malicious sysadmins or manipulative ex-partners you have to get through. If a backup takes 72 hours to get back and you desperately need it within the hour, it's not a backup.

A backup not tested is what we jokingly refer to as "Schrödinger's Backup" - the state of the backup is both working and not working until you test it and confirm.

I know this is all ranty and preachy and everybody hates hearing it. Story of my career. But the fact remains you can drop the probability of data loss waaaay down to a very, very small number if you think about the real world steps (not just the nerdy techy steps, but all the messy human stuff too that nerds in datacentres never think of) you need to get that second copy promoted to a primary copy when shit hits the fan.

And shit *will* hit the fan. The probability of that happening at least once in your life is 100%.

3Toed likes this.
  11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Ah 2020 and we still discussing the need for data backups have we not learnt anything from the mistakes/misfortunes of others over the past 50 years?

12. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

We have! Das cloud will solve EVERYTHING!