Broadband a Third World joke...

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by corefreak, Oct 20, 2007.

1. camdy

camdy Member

ok now in sydney & melbourne you get 30mbps in brisbane it is 17mbps & it is through foxtel cable which telstra uses & well i can not get ADSL let alone ADSL2+ ,i can not even get optus direct dsl,i only have the choice of dial-up or optus cable which is 10mbps.

now on about the why telstra can not sell it cheaper than its competition simple put they don't have to pay for the infrastructure they just pay a lease to use their network,the same for optus & its competition,the same for your electricity & gas company's

2. Kyorisu

Kyorisu Member

How can any sane Australian support Telstra or defend them for that matter? It boggles my mind. But hey why blame the telecom when you can blame the idiotic government that likes to sell of it's assets? Our government has always been the limiting factor in so many matters it's just not funny anymore.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  3. g@z

g@z Member

I still recon the previous government is the real cuplrit. How many billions of dollars in dept did they leave us? No wonder stuff had to be sold off to clear it. Not an idea solution, but what else can you do apart from tax the crap out of everything even moreso that what we have today? No one would have liked that either.

Regards,
    g@z.

4. Herbo

Herbo Member

Blah blah blah... the ACCC has looked into the matter and have deemed what they believe to be a fair price.

The REALITY of it is Tesltra charges so much, wait for it... BECAUSE THEY CAN!!! They can afford the advertising and the mum & dad's of the world don't know any better. They are Telstra, they must be the best! So sad to see.

5. davidw89

davidw89 Member

I hope you were being sarcastic here but if you weren't then NVM :shock:

No need to state the obvious buddy, we all know they have a monopoly (or should i say a duopoly) over the communication infrastructures, locking out potential competitors and doing just about anything to keep their high profits.

6. Herbo

Herbo Member

Did you even read the post I quoted? :confused:

7. Herbo

Herbo Member

Here's another example of the major dodgyness that is Sol Trujillo.

How this man still has a job is beyond me.

Story

8. Herbo

Herbo Member

Sounds to me like network maintenance is only getting cheaper for Telstra yet they complain their forced wholesale prices are too low?

Story.

9. banshee343

banshee343 Member

The facts must be hurting Wilf :(

10. Wilf

Wilf (Banned or Deleted)

No, I love watching the Telstra bashers/whiners posting about things they do not understand... and getting it so wrong!

11. Herbo

Herbo Member

More irrefutable facts and links from Wilf! I should just quit now... :wired:

12. banshee343

banshee343 Member

Whats so hard to understand about Telstra saying their running costs are getting lower and lower? or Sol is bringing in his buddies from his last company (which might i add went bust? presumably because he wanted MOAAARRRRR money). Pretty funny. All these americans onboard telstra and yet they still claim to be Australian owned and run.

13. Wilf

Wilf (Banned or Deleted)

What does that have to do with Telstra being forced to provide cheap wholesale access to its competitors?

14. banshee343

banshee343 Member

EVVVVVVVERYTHING! If your a regulated body/company and your costs are getting lower and lower because of technological advances how can you not be expected to be forced to lower your charge out rate?

Sure if they were a standalone company more power to them, but they arent. Also, its not cheap, its realistic. Maybe even borderline optimistic.

15. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

What doesn't it have to do with Telstra refusing to offer affordable access to its customers? I do not understand how you can be so ignorant to the relationships between these facts. Tesltra are shouting from the roof how they're so awesome and are lowering the cost of maintenance and so forth, yet still cry to the ACCC and the government that they aren't making enough money from wholesale bandwidth.

The conflict of interest with Telstra selling bandwidth in both the wholesale and retail markets is so clear its painful. They are blatantly using their control over the wholesale price of bandwidth to control the cost to the customer. The only reason the ACCC hasn't put a stop to it is because they don't have the power to force Telstra to split their wholesale and retail departments. Are you thick or just blind?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  16. Wilf

Wilf (Banned or Deleted)

Who says that they do not provide affordable access to Telstra;s customers?

As they have 47% of the residential broadband market, It is obvious you are wrong once again!

Why should Telstra cross subsidise its competitors? Competitors who do not want to invest their own money, preferring to get cheap access from Telstra

Except Telstra bashers/whiners ignore the little fact that those wholesale costs are regulated by the ACCC....

And nor should they, you forget that Telstra is now a private company.

Just another rant from a Telstra basher having another little girly whine devoid of facts...

It appears you are both thick and blind, and work for a competitor...

17. effekt26

effekt26 Member

47% is a pretty specific number. I would gladly listen to your argument, if you would just once, provide a goddam link, like you have been asking of others, which, i might add, have provided said links....

18. g@z

g@z Member

Just because it's popular does not mean it's not worthy of critisim. They have a lot more money to spend on advertising.

Because that was a condition of the sale of Telstra.

But they whinge about the fact that Telstra don't want to let ACCC set the price, and if they had their way would try and charge much more than they are, because they want to use their monopoly to kill off competition.

You appear to be tared with the same brush. So many people that have issues with the way Telstra conduct their business and yet the picture you paint is that they are all wrong on every count, you are 100% correct all the time and Telstra should be able to do whatever they like, and that's ok?

Surely even you can see that they could make improvements to the way they do things?

Regards,
    g@z.

19. Herbo

Herbo Member

You know how much that helps your arguement? ZERO. All that little statistic means is that the ability to pump shit tins of money into advertising = more customers. And their ability to rely on the fact they are "Australia's major telco" people will just think, "oh they must be the best!".

They are not subsidising jack shit, competitors are paying an ACCC justified price for access. The reality of it all is that more than likely it could be even lower.

While they are, it doesn't mean that they couldn't be lower does it? I'm sure Telstra don't give out all the info they could on the subject.

It appears you are simply just retarded.

20. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

Telstra don't have any real competitors in the wholesale bandwidth market. They own the copper lines, they control the existing underground access pits (that they are refusing anyone else access to) and they own the vast majority of exchange hardware. If they didn't have a conflict of interest they wouldn't have to "subsidise" their competitors because they would be paying the same for wholesale bandwidth as everyone else.

I've never worked for a telco nor do i intend to. I'm just an informed customer who is sick of watching greedy americans grow fat on their extortion of the australian public. Where do you work?