Broadband a Third World joke...

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by corefreak, Oct 20, 2007.

1. banshee343

banshee343 Member

Whoever bought Telstra knew these conditions would be brought upon it after it was sold. I believe that was made quite clear when it was offered for sale.

Edit after watching the 10 news: ROFL @ SOL! The only thing thats worth 11 mill about him is the reward for his Wanted poster. Rescueing a failing company? Pfffffft i think not. Transfering alot of debt to himself, sure. But Telstra was never going under. They just had alot of debt to clear.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. g@z

g@z Member

Oh, Ok... I get it now.

Wilf is just stiring everyone up. Most likely pissing himself laughing at it all as well. Ah well.

Time to change the subject. Who's going to win the Melbourne cup?

Regards,
    g@z.

3. effekt26

effekt26 Member

pharlap? :tongue:

4. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

so? thats no excuse..We get ripped like nothing here for everything we do...

Im at work and I cant even send a fucken 15mb project to a client which we have a deadline to...I have to use snail mail now which will take 1 day..deadline is at 6:00pm today...

NIce hey??!!! :thumbdn:

5. Wilf

Wilf (Banned or Deleted)

So your work has decided not to get suitable internet access to meet their requirements, and this is someone elses fault?

6. banshee343

banshee343 Member

I cant believe it, but i agree here. Its not like 15MB takes ages to send either. Your trying to send 15MB through email arent you? You bad person, you should be shot.

7. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Hello Wilf. Clearly you are still reading this thread. I reiterate my previously asked question.

Can you tell me what the questions you asked again were that no one has yet answered?

8. Herbo

Herbo Member

No no no... Wilf only jumps in when he can make pointless comments.

Anyone else love how Tesltra STILL artificially limits the upload on adsl/2+ to about a third of it's capable speed?

9. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I thought I'd give Wilf an opportunity to respond. It's always interesting to see what happens when an animal is backed into a corner. They either whimper and submit or they get their hackles up and fight back.

At the moment, I'm inclined to think that Wilf is someone who wants to sit at the top of the wall and dangle the carrot as an offering then rip it out to frustrate.

Don't know if reporting him for trolling is worth it. I'd like to give him an opportunity to respond with something other than "you've not answered my question!" or "lies!!" or "wrong!!"

I've had a look around but I'm unable to find why Telstra is artificially speed limiting ADSL/2+ speeds. All I can find is a PDF document from IINet that unequivocally states (page 7 of the 18 page document) this. No reasons are said why its done other than to say that it's done.

This being done this way then results with surveys done to average broadband speeds of the country compared to average speeds of other countries. Artificial speed limits makes Australian Broadband Speeds look horrid when compared to other countries.

10. Iceman

Iceman Member

No offense to you personally but this has got to be one of the dumbest arguments I see pop up (usually on whirlpool) all the time.

It's basically "the technology can go faster so why won't they let me (petulant pout)".

People bitch about cable providers not doing DOCSIS 2, they bitch about telstra "limiting" ADSL etc..

The first problem is, to provide everyone higher speeds, you need to pay to upgrade your infrastructure all the way from the exchange to out of the country. In the case of ADSL it's probably due to the fact it's

Secondly, you're still limited by the fact that we have limited bandwidth OUT of the country. You can't give everyone multi mbit connections, you can't even give MOST of the people multi mbit connections.. until someone;

1) invests in upgrading the national infrastructure
    because someone has
    2) invests in upgrading the international infrastructure..

Now, instead of bitching that telstra won't come to the party.. complain that *nobody* will come to the party.

While you're doing that, you might realise the reason it hasn't happened is probably because a small, vocal, minority of Australian internet users who want insane amounts of fast data for next to nothing isn't exactly an attractive investment proposition guys.

11. Herbo

Herbo Member

Ok genius, why is it that internode offer upload speeds of 2.5 Megabits per second on their enabled exchanges yet Telstra limit it to about a 7th of that?

12. effekt26

effekt26 Member

so telstra changing ADSL1 from max 1.5mb to 8mb is because they upgraded the national infrastructure??

13. Iceman

Iceman Member

Since you haven't specified what connection type you're talking about, I'm going to assume you mean ADSL2+

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Telstra-BigPond-ADSL2+/1-6.html
    http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Internode-Extreme-ADSL2+/9-6.html

.. and I'm failing to see how 1024 kbps is 'about a 7th' of 2560 kbps..

Why do Telstra offer a lower upload limit? Because that's the level Telstra feels they can make money at. Go with another provider if you don't like Telstra's product. Maybe Internode have newer infrastructure, maybe they invested the same amount 5 years later and got faster kit for the same price.

14. Herbo

Herbo Member

The plans don't change the fact that the infastructure is capable. I'm specifically talking about ADSL1 here, it is limited by Telstra to 384kbps (capable of 1mbps) yet Internode can offer 2.5mbps on ADSL2+. Are you trying to tell me Internode is using different infustructure to Telstra... :wired:

15. Wilf

Wilf (Banned or Deleted)

Yes, and have a much smaller customer base, less than 1/6th of Telstra's...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  16. Iceman

Iceman Member

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Telstra-BigPond-ADSL/1-2.html
    http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Internode-Home-ADSL/9-1.html

They both offer Up to 8192 / 384 kbps .. so again.. check your facts.

And yes, Internode and Bigpond use different infrastructure.
    Bigpond uses Telstras ADSL network.
    Internode use the Agile network.

Agile, while they do have somewhat of their own network, probably do still buy bandwidth from other providers such as PowerTel and yes.. even divisions of Telstra.

17. Herbo

Herbo Member

Node is limited to that because it uses Telstra, which artificially limit it. On it's own equipment it isn't limited AND offers 2.5mbps.

Node.

My point was that if Node can offer up to 2.5mbps why can't Telstra even offer 1mbps on ADSL1?

You'll have to explain this network setup for me. As far as I was aware, say Node installs it's hardware in an exchange and everything in that exchange uses the same connection out? You're telling me that's not how it works?

EDIT: Actually it's all one big fucking joke, if Telstra can offer 1mbps on their ADSL2+ then there is no reason whatsoever that they can't offer 1mbps on ADSL1.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  18. Iceman

Iceman Member

Ok, let me simplify it for you.

Why should they?

19. nix_guru

nix_guru Member

20. nix_guru

nix_guru Member

Why should they hold Australia back?