Broadlink RM Mini 3 Black Bean Smart Home Wifi

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 27, 2017.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just wanted to start having a little dabble in home automation. Don't have the need nor money to do a large scale proper home automation setup so thought I'd just have a play with something like the Broadlink Black Bean. Picked it up for around $15 delivered at the time and it's turned out to be quite awesome.

https://www.banggood.com/Broadlink-...ces-Smart-Control-p-1049494.html?rmmds=search

[​IMG]

So for those who don't know what it is it basically controls IR devices from a central tiny box that sits in your lounge room, bedroom, etc. That in itself isn't a big deal but the real power comes within the smartphone app e-Control that allows you to set up sets of tasks (or "scenes" as they call them) where you can basically press one button on your phone and run multiple tasks for devices in a room, e.g. a scene might be the following set of tasks: turn on tv, turn on receiver, turn floor fan on, turn lights on, turn foxtel box on, change inputs on tv to foxtel or streaming device etc etc.

The need for this? Nothing really other than to automatic bunches of tasks and I like to screw around with tech in my spare time :p

(NB: the Mini 3 is not an RF device controller, for that you would need something like the Broadlink RM Pro which control both IR and RF devices.)

Anyways, so I tested the Mini 3 out a few weeks back and the results were excellent. Took a little while to get my head around the e-Control smartphone app and how it works......in the app you very simply have devices (remotes) and scenes (sets of tasks). Doing some basic testing I set up the TV and fan (yes summer is coming!) to come on at the press of a single button, all from another room. I didn't check this in the app but you can probably extend this concept to have timed tasks such as just before you arrive home at 5pm (if you are even that regular) have the tv come on, air con on (although RF? not sure), lights on, and any other IR devices controlled to do something upon arrival.

I only ordered one Mini 3 so I was limited to one room. Multiple Black Bean Mini 3's can be controlled from the one e-Control app. So I will need to purchase a couple more at some point to put in other rooms.

What I did test out also is the ability to use voice controls to set a scene. This wasn't done through the e-Control app but two other apps (Broadlink rm voice and Broadlink rm bridge). Using these two apps I was able to successfully say into my phone "Set up bedroom" to have the tv and fan come on. Only limited testing at this point in time, not many IR devices in the bedroom! Only problem with the app was that I need to open the app and go into the voice control area, so kinda seemed pointless given that I could just go to the e-Control app and press a button anyways.

So then I thought it could be combined with something like Amazons Echo Dot 2 or Google Home to receive voice commands, to be sent to the Black Beans and you suddenly have voice controlled IR devices right throughout your home for a fraction of the price of a real home automation system.

So next step will probably to look at the RM Pro and Echo Dot or Google Home. But so far quite impressed with the ease of setup and price of the Broadlink Black Bean Mini 3 for wirelessly controlling devices and tasks around the home :thumbup:

Only one negative thing I found, and haven't searched for a solution yet, and it's kinda a big deal, is I couldn't seem to get it to connect with my router :confused: It find the wireless connection just fine, but when I enter my password for the router it just times out.

Anyone played around with this little device?

2. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Currently on sale, $14.06 del if anyone is interested.

3. xc351

xc351 Member

Can u control it remotely eg turn on AC while you are on the way home.

4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not all air cons can (some are RF and not IR?), but mine can as it's remote is IR.

5. xc351

xc351 Member

mines IR might grab one definitely do want to automate my new house which will be tiny so would be good to have a play.
    Gee there gear is cheap but in a good way
    Wonder if its even worth having light switches these days???

6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah probably one of the cheapest ways to set up some sort of basic home automation. Some suggest China is spying on us but meh, they can have my data.

For me I don't really bother with the lights side of things, as I don't see a lot of point, but for some it can be quite good in setting up automated lights for when kids need to go to bed, for example, or kitchen lights on just before your alarm clock goes off in the morning.

7. xc351

xc351 Member

new place will be fully off grid and want to simply drop off all lights/non esstional loads via an app. End of the day only thing that REALLY needs to stay on is the fridge and router/modem. PC,lappy, nas, lights, entertainment equipment ect can all be turned off.

8. power

power Member

I lolled

tbh the main thing that bothers me about these devices is that I have doubts about their security or lack thereof.

[​IMG]

9. MiloVasic

MiloVasic Member

Will give it a shot, looking at air con idea mainly.
    now to wait... XXXX days for delivery.

10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For me with GB it's usually a full 3-4 weeks. A pain but still, nothing can be done.....just order and forget : )

11. xc351

xc351 Member

romantic time buy that you mean i could make lights tv/ac/fan all start turning on remotely to scare the f**k out of my partner. or simply keep turning off her tv show would take her ages to figure out what im doing.

12. MiloVasic

MiloVasic Member

Yup, gotta love surprise 'ebay' presents that i forgot about/

MR CHILLED likes this.
  13. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

looks very interesting... that site looks very interesting in general... I do love cheap toys!

(Maybe cheap Christmas presents...)

14. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Hey chilled, how powerful are the ir blasters on these?
    Currently my harmony hub can sit under the tv and bounces the ir signals off the wall and hits all my devices.

I want to get something for another room and this looks cool, but won't be able to have it sitting in front of all my devices.

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well just dim the lights lol...makes for happy ending time :D

Good question, not really sure how you would go about testing that. I do know however I don't have any problems getting the devices reacting to the signal and I have them in not exactly central locations. So it seems pretty good to me : )

16. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I think that special deal ended before I got home last night... but I ordered one to play with anyway (along with a few other cheap little toys). Interesting it wouldn't let me choose the cheapest shipping option because my order was too expensive (about AU$75).... but the next one up was only a couple of bucks more and had a range of 5 - 8 days or something like that which would be nice. And now we play the waiting game.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For anyone who might miss deals, keep a close eye on OzBargain threads, quite often the rep will come in with more codes after a few days and you can even message the rep and they will send you a code.

18. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Just received one of these. Has anyone had any issues with it not working with certain devices? The amplifier that I bought it specifically to control seems to be really flakey. Commands work every 10 button presses or so. Tv seems to be fine.

19. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I got one, love it.

Only downside is the Alexa skill isn't on the Australian store yet :thumbdn:

20. MiloVasic

MiloVasic Member

I use mine to turn on the portable air con before i get home on hot days.
    Works as reliably as any other wifi / internet based unit.
    Pretty happy for that price.

Would get more if the missus, was agreeable to more tech everywhere.