Broken USB-C plug! Is this fixable?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Sankari, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Sankari

Sankari Member

Forgot my Logitech StreamCam was still plugged in when I moved my PC. It broke the plug and unfortunately I can't just use a new cable because it's hardwired.

[​IMG]

Is this something that can be fixed if I find the right person, or should I kiss my webcam goodbye? I don't want to lose it, this is the best webcam I've ever owned!

:upset:

2. power

power Member

borderline based on the value of the cam vs the job.

Sankari likes this.
  3. havabeer

havabeer Member

turf it

4. Eimi

Eimi Member

For a $200 camera, I'd look at getting it repaired. Also maybe inquire with Logitech if they have a replacement cable that can be installed. As they may use a non-soldered connector inside the camera, which means you might be able to disassemble the camera yourself and replace the whole cable. I can't find a teardown for the StreamCam anywhere though

Edit: there might a future guide on iFixit - https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/676251/Logitech+Streamcam+webcam+USB-C+plug+repair

Sankari and power like this.
  5. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

according to that link its easy to open so maybe open the camera up and see how many wires? if 4/5 then can get connectors to replace the damaged end. if 10+ then maybe get a sacrificial cable to splice it in the middle and hope the colours match up - bit dodgey but not many other options. kmart have a cheap usb c 3.1 cable thats cheap enough to sacrifice.

another option is to solder to this if usb 3 - but the plug end will be bulky
    https://core-electronics.com.au/usb-type-c-plug-breakout-usb-3-0.html

t8y and Sankari like this.
  6. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Open the cam... I'm sure it's soldered onto the board of the cam... just solder another cable onto it... or maybe its a plug on the board

t8y, spludgey and Sankari like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

Thanks guys, I'll take a shot at opening it up. If the cable plugs into the board, I might be in luck.

Found this image, definitely a plug, though I'm not familiar with the configuration:

[​IMG]

Now I just need a guide that tells me how to open the damn thing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  8. Eimi

Eimi Member

The plug appears to be a JST GH connector. ( An example: https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-housings-plugs/1755606/)

t8y likes this.
  9. power

power Member

wow, super basic - I thought that connector was the other end for whatever dumb reason.

10. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

11. Eimi

Eimi Member

No worries. I recognised it from my hexarotor's flight controller. It has the same connectors. You just need to know how many pins the original connector is and can either make up a cable yourself or get someone else to make one. Hopefully Logitech has spares though, from what I've seen looking for a teardown, it seems to be a common issue with the StreamCam.

Logitech should of just made the cable USB-C to USB-C in the first place. Throwing away a working camera simply because the cable is damaged is a waste

12. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

Yeah this is a common problem because they made the cable too short and hardwired it. A real dick move, considering it's such an expensive webcam.

I was fortunate enough to pick mine for $150 (second hand, 3 months old) before the pandemic sent prices through the roof, but that's still $150 I don't want to throw down the drain if I can avoid it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  13. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

I've found a teardown photo, so I now know that I have to try and crack it from the front.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately no matter how carefully I manoeuvre a pry tool inside the edge of the housing, I can't persuade it to part from whatever's holding it inside. It will flex outwards but always snaps back in place as soon as I move to another edge.

Suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  14. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

I've got the front open nearly all the way, but there's something still holding it on at one corner.

15. Eimi

Eimi Member

You might need two tools to carefully pry it up away from the clips

16. Eimi

Eimi Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  17. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

if you do replace it, maybe get a m-f usb-c cable too, so that you have more length next time and more likely to damage the extension cable (easier to replace) than the hardwired one.

Sankari likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

19. Eimi

Eimi Member

From what I read in that teardown, there is a screw inside the camera that can only be accessed by going through the cable port. Although it was translated by Google so may be a little bit unclear, but if you look at the photo above you can see a screw inside

Sankari likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

Thanks, I will get a torch and look more closely.