Budget bluetooth receiver with level control?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by srey, May 27, 2021.

1. srey

srey Member

A mate is looking to add some speakers to his apartment that he can use to stream from his phone via BT; doesn't expect anything flash, but wants something a step up from a portable BT speaker.

I'd be looking for things along the lines of Aktimate's minis since they tend to be a great value pickup second hand, but then I remembered I've got a set of ribbon Behringer truth monitors sitting in storage at the old office. I don't have any use for them right now so I'm happy to sling them to my mate, but the interface I was using them with is exclusively USB input from a PC, so it's not much use to him.

So I think what I'm looking for is a simple mains powered BT receiver that has a proper level control, preferably as physical knob so there's no chance of it doing stuff like defaulting to max level when you turn it back on or something like that.

This Fiio one looks like the kind of thing, but wondering if there's much out there that's cheaper?

2. pezzy

pezzy Member

3. Renza

Renza Member

I got this little amp that has bluetooth. It's very decent for the price, I use it to drive my Aktimate mini since the internal amps died

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07X93W1PM

although i just realised that your monitors may be powered ones?

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  4. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

Thanks mate, they do seem good value, but I'm not sure they're going to reach the bar for sound quality. My mate is a bit of a drum & bass head, so even my monitors will probably struggle to give him the thump he wants, but in my experience they do OK in a smallish room.

Yeah mine are active, and internal biamp too so I don't think there's a crossover I could easily tap an external amp into even if I wanted to.
    I've seen a few of those amps like yours now though, they seem damn cheap for what they are. Do you think they punch out enough grunt to run a set of bookshelves decently? I figured they'd be limited to pretty low levels and maybe for a desktop setup.

5. Renza

Renza Member

They put out plenty of power, I've never needed to have it past half. It was more powerful than the amp it replaced. These tripath amps are super efficent

6. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

Thanks for all the input guys, in the end a pair of aktimate minis popped up nearby over the weekend so my mate grabbed those, he'll be able to whack whatever receiver he wants into them now.